Helpful ReplyHot!Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rickg
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points: 0
2014/08/23 19:19:35 (permalink)

Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats

I ride a Corsa with the Euromesh seat fairly upright, due to a worn and arthritic neck.  I have been slowly lowering it to get rid of recumbutt.  I would like to lower it one more notch, but I don't think my neck will tolerate any more recline.  Does the carbon seat have a sharper upturn at the upper end?  If it did, maybe I could lay it back slightly more, yet still maintain the current position of my neck. What about the lower end of the carbon seat?  Does it also curve more sharply?  I'm afraid it might be uncomfortable on the back of the thighs for those who have a more upright position.  I'm very frustrated right now, I feel like I have to make a choice between recumbutt and a aching neck.   
timturner
  • Total Posts : 1377
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/08/24 09:19:34 (permalink)
for me, the Bacchetta carbon seat does support the upper back/neck better than the other seats I've used.  In fact, I'm down around 15 degrees and don't use a head rest.

T

Team Bacchetta

tfulnecky
  • Total Posts : 892
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/08/24 10:06:45 (permalink)
The Bacchetta carbon seat is good in a reclined position but then your Euromesh might work as well for you with a headrest especially considering your neck problem.  Both the Euromesh and carbon seat can give you problems in a reclined position depending on the degree of recline.  How tall are you and what do you weigh??

Terry 
biker2381
  • Total Posts : 434
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/08/24 14:39:34 (permalink)
Rick, I would suggest that you try going one more notch reclined and see how it feels. You should also get a headrest to provide support for your neck.

brian
Ft. Myers, FL
2006 Aero
2004 Strada
rickg
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/08/25 08:54:00 (permalink)
Terry, I'm 5'8 1/2", 200 lbs. I am going to try one more notch to see if my neck can tolerate it. I do have a headrest already, but I don't care for it. There's a lot of chip-seal roads around here, and the headrest vibrating against my neck seems to aggravate it.  It does appear to me that the carbon seat has a steeper upturn than the Euromesh.
AeroDon
  • Total Posts : 1460
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/08/26 08:48:26 (permalink)
Rick,
If you are riding the ADEM headrest, I hope you'll be patient.  I am finalizing a few details and within the next couple of months, will release an improved pad that is thicker, softer, and has more surface area.  It uses a softer version of the seat pad foam and the same fabric cover as the Bacchetta seat cover.  I have been riding a prototype for several months and it does a very good job on chip seal surfaces.  It will be available as an upgrade for existing headrests as well as being standard on all new ones.

Also, I ride the carbon seat at 16 deg. recline and there is no interferrence with the back of my thighs.

AeroDon
CA 2.0 700c Ti Aero
ADEM headrests Support so you can Really Recline
http://ademhr.com
rowenusmc
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/08/29 07:42:14 (permalink)
Rick,
I am riding my Corsa with the seat down around 11 degrees.  It took some experimentation, but once I got my ADEM head rest adjusted properly, it was complete comfort.  Before this last adjustment I had the head rest too low and it caused discomfort for my neck.  Now that it is correct (for me anyway)  it rests against the adjustment band of my helmet, without causing any pushing up or interference. 
Since the position is still new to me I find myself not relaxing against the headrest, but when I do relax, it all comes together.  I ride some fairly rough pavement during the week so I am familiar with the road buzz and bumps too.  Having the head rest adjusted correctly supports me so I have good visibility and control.  I will get a new upgraded pad from Don when he gets them ready to market.

rollingbuzzy
  • Total Posts : 1525
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/08/31 12:26:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Charlie007 2016/02/05 20:03:10
It is a significant change to go from euro mesh to carbon, or for that matter, also consider fiberglass seats. Fiberglass is nearly as stiff, and not that much heavier. They come wider and longer,(taller), for less $$$. I ride both carbon and fiberglass on different bikes. Same pad, produces the same ride characteristics. Seats do have different sizes and radius and contact points to contend with. I would first try using some different padding with your euro seat to see if you can get comfortable first, before you throw money at the problem. 
The other thing I will say is, I occasionally will get neck discomfort the first few miles in a ride from being too tense in the shoulders and gripping the bars to tightly.
post edited by rollingbuzzy - 2014/08/31 12:29:07
PeteD
  • Total Posts : 488
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/08/31 20:59:35 (permalink)
I find it rather interesting that amongst all the advice the one clearly asked question by the OP has not been answered amongst all the other helpful advice ;-)

Does the Bacchetta carbon seat have a sharper angle in the upper area compared to the Euromesh ?

I am in a similar position that I want to upgrade from the EM to a Carbon seat after riding the EM for the last 7 years on my Corsa. The EM is pretty forgiving in terms of fit as it fits a large variety of riders due to the compliant mesh. Carbon is not forgiving and I do plan to use it with a Ventisit cover just as on the EM seat.

Over the last years my riding style has changed and I now ride mostly in a semi bridging mode with the EM at about 25 degrees) The EM has basically zero lumbar curve and I end up only contacting the EM right between my shoulder blades and I sit on the tip of the seat and often feel I am lifting it almost off the seat. I'd like more lumbar support so a larger area of my back contacts the seat. I could lean the EM back ( I am 5'10" with a 42" x-seam so I have a relatively long torso and a long neck), but the EM has too shallow of an, angle in the upper area and I'd like to have exactly what the OP is asking for, a slightly sharper upturn and perhaps a little longer as well for better support.
tfulnecky
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/09/01 09:02:14 (permalink)
I understand it's not possible for folks great distances from Florida to consider a Kent Polk seat but for those who can make the trip to the Tampa area I promise that it will be  worth the trip.  The Kent Polk seat is not for the casual riders, that is to say it's for the bent rider who wants to go further and faster in more comfort.  At 450 to 900 dollars it's not cheat or pretty but it damn sure was what I was looking for.

Last year at the age of 73 I was ready to quit riding altogether, too much pain and I was no longer making any progress.  This year with a Kent Polk seat it's a whole different story, pains gone, speed up, I'm making steady progress and enjoying my CA 2 immensely.  Hey folks, I'll be 75 in December and thanks to Kent's seat I'm on the roll again :Q)

Regards,  Terry
post edited by tfulnecky - 2014/09/02 08:40:37
RoadRnr
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/09/01 16:54:14 (permalink)
Pete, Maybe you are just too tall for a Euromesh. I am 6 ft. and used a Euromesh on my Strada and my Corsa SS. I could never make that seat feel right. I added lumbar support with a block of foam and tried snipping the bottom zip tie. In the end I still felt like all my weight was on my sacrum and a spot between my shoulder blades.

I recently purchased a large carbon seat from Dana at Bent Up Cycles and finally feel comfortable. It came with a 2" foam pad which feels great. Dan says his seat has the same contour as Bacchetta's seat but is a little bit longer.

I have pictures of the Euromesh and Carbon seat in profile. I will post them so you all can compare the angles and what not.

Dave in NM

Corsa SS
Strada
rickg
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/09/01 19:47:22 (permalink)
Comparative pictures would be awesome.
RoadRnr
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/09/01 20:13:30 (permalink)
Here is the carbon
post edited by RoadRnr - 2014/09/01 21:23:11

Attached Image(s)

Dave in NM

Corsa SS
Strada
RoadRnr
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/09/01 21:25:17 (permalink)
Here is the Euromesh

Attached Image(s)

Dave in NM

Corsa SS
Strada
noahvale
  • Total Posts : 414
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/09/02 04:16:58 (permalink)
I had cervical fusion in '94 and still have problems with one bad disc. I never really liked the Adem neck rest, but it did work ok. My CA has a m5 seat and neckrest. The neckrest totally immobilizes my neck. It's perfect for me.

tfulnecky
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/09/03 10:04:44 (permalink)

Hootonsrus
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/10/13 08:57:51 (permalink)
AeroDon
Rick,
If you are riding the ADEM headrest, I hope you'll be patient.  I am finalizing a few details and within the next couple of months, will release an improved pad that is thicker, softer, and has more surface area.  It uses a softer version of the seat pad foam and the same fabric cover as the Bacchetta seat cover.  I have been riding a prototype for several months and it does a very good job on chip seal surfaces.  It will be available as an upgrade for existing headrests as well as being standard on all new ones.

Also, I ride the carbon seat at 16 deg. recline and there is no interferrence with the back of my thighs.

Hey Don - how's the new neck rest coming along? I'm in the market but want to hold out for the new and improved.
AeroDon
  • Total Posts : 1460
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2014/10/13 09:38:28 (permalink)
I expect about a month.  I think I have finalized the materials and am about to order some parts.

AeroDon
CA 2.0 700c Ti Aero
ADEM headrests Support so you can Really Recline
http://ademhr.com
Barry Denney
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2018/12/07 21:50:03 (permalink)
I have a carbon Aero that I ride 4-5000 miles per year.  I am needing to replace the seat foam over the carbon seat.  It has always seemed too soft to me, causing a lot of bottoming out which leads to sore rear end.  What is the best thing to get that would give a firmer ride, the 3" pad, the 2" with cover or what?
Doc Dan
  • Total Posts : 1620
Re: Euromesh vs. Carbon Seats 2018/12/08 06:12:33 (permalink)
tfulnecky
I understand it's not possible for folks great distances from Florida to consider a Kent Polk seat but for those who can make the trip to the Tampa area I promise that it will be  worth the trip.  The Kent Polk seat is not for the casual riders, that is to say it's for the bent rider who wants to go further and faster in more comfort.  At 450 to 900 dollars it's not cheat or pretty but it damn sure was what I was looking for.

Last year at the age of 73 I was ready to quit riding altogether, too much pain and I was no longer making any progress.  This year with a Kent Polk seat it's a whole different story, pains gone, speed up, I'm making steady progress and enjoying my CA 2 immensely.  Hey folks, I'll be 75 in December and thanks to Kent's seat I'm on the roll again :Q)

Regards,  Terry

Great news, Terry.  Glad to hear it.  
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1