Helpful ReplyHot!Where did your Bacchetta take you today?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 54
Author
Nic
  • Total Posts : 1303
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/13 14:29:14 (permalink)
Don't forget about the Bellandare's stem is straight.  I believe can cut it down to length?  I would rather do that then cut down and reweld a curved stem.

Nic Morel
Corsa SS
Can't beat em... Ban em...

Check out my cave.
http://www.freewebs.com/nicmorel
nomo4me
  • Total Posts : 171
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/13 15:14:02 (permalink)
Now we're talkin' !!

That would be the ideal solution as it would match the bead blasted finish of the rest of the parts.

ORIGINAL: Nic

Don't forget about the Bellandare's stem is straight.  I believe can cut it down to length?  I would rather do that then cut down and reweld a curved stem.
kd5fdw
  • Total Posts : 224
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/13 21:26:02 (permalink)
I'm Dave and I ride with my riser on backwards.

The "Rest of the Story" wasn't included, but I was about 3 days away from selling my Strada when someone suggested turning around the riser.  I turned the riser backwards and I had a whole new bike.  Maneuverability and stability improved immediately.  In the first block I decided to keep the bike. 

There are a few other options you might want to try if the backwards stem is too radical for you:
1.  The short stem (forward and reversed)
2.  The long stem (forward and reversed)
3.  A straight stem (see thecanoe links for options)
4.  A long stem (forward or reversed and shortened):  The long stem has a larger curve than the short stem has.

thecanoe posted the link to this suave Strada rider....
http://www.geoffadams.com/bikes/CRW4.25.07/CRW4.25.07-Pages/Image2.html

Works for me.....

Dave

Bacchetta Strada
Cycle Genius STX-24
EZ-Tandem
Rans Screamer
nd4su (but rarely bicycle mobile)
nomo4me
  • Total Posts : 171
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/13 21:39:56 (permalink)
Dave thanks for your comments.  Today I reversed the short riser, which put the bar back a full 5" from where it was.  I need to bring it back ~2.5" and 5" proved way too far back for my purposes.  

Dale is sending me a bar with longer 'bars' on it.  I didn't ask him if it's narrower than the stock Corsa bar, but if it is I think it won't work so well for me.
If the new bar doesn't provide the desired fix I'll contact Bacchetta about supplying a Ballandare riser, which I think is the best possible solution to fit this bike to me.  I can cut it to the desired length and reslot as needed and I'll be good to go.

So you'se folks can see what we're trying to fit onto my Corsa 24, here's a pic of me in December on Barney the Purple Giro 20 (love the Giro 20):  http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/nomo4me/DSCN6473.jpg
Mike
AeroDon
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/14 05:10:42 (permalink)
I don't know if it has been suggested, but you may consider switching to bar-end shifters.  They let you move the brake levers farther down the bar and give some additional reach.  You would probably gain an extra 2 inches.  In addition, the shifting is much more reliable than the twist grip SRAM's.

AeroDon
CA 2.0 700c Ti Aero
ADEM headrests Support so you can Really Recline
http://ademhr.com
jkeenan7
  • Total Posts : 1883
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/14 06:51:06 (permalink)
 Gett'n this thread back on topic (ducks flying objects) 

With an odd assortment of bent bike buds (Strada, Tailwind, Stratus, Burly, and a Corsa) , me Giro20 took us from Deering Estate to  Key Biscayne with my leading the Slo Joe Coco Metric Century ride and some historical sightings:

John Merrick's Chinese Village: In the 20's, John Merrick (no not the Elephant Man) who created Coral Gables built a series of themed villages (clusters of houses).  This 2 block area looks like a Chinese compound and contains 8 houses. 

Will Smith's House:  By Viscaya heading into Key Biscayne, I pointed out Will Smith's (according to a source) house, which is the one that used be owned by Sylvester Stylone right down the street from where Madonna used to have her Miami beach home. 

Bill Bagg State Park.  Then to the park to point out one of the oldest lighthouses in Florida and Stilt Village.  These are homes that were built on stilts out in the ocean.  When the area became a state park the houses were "grand fathered" as no more can be built.  A number have been lost to hurricanes. 

Virginia Key: Hard to believe but a 100 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, Virginia Key up until the 60's was the only beach in the Miami area which allowed afro-americans.   

Crandon Park Beach: A stroll along the beach waterfront where we came across three photo shoots. 

Does a bevy of beautiful models count as a historical sighting?  I'm going with it 

All done during one of those "picture postcard" Miami days: Beautiful sunshine, blue skies, no humidity and ocean views. 

Priceless.
post edited by jkeenan7 - 2008/01/14 06:57:31

'16 Carbon Basso GS
'06 Bike Friday NWT
'99 VRexAchetta (Stolen and Born Again)
'08 Bike Friday Tandem
'13  Mukluk3 
SOLD:'05 Aero Basso '06 Ti Aero '05 Corsa '11 29er MTB  Bike Friday SAT R DAY  '07 Giro 20 '03 Strada

BirdieMama
  • Total Posts : 2544
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/14 07:53:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jkeenan7

Gett'n this thread back on topic (ducks flying objects) 

Likewise (and also duckin' and ginnin')

Took the Basso out with a great group of OHPVers for the first real ride on the socked Basso.  I got in about 32 miles (computer is still acting up) on a clear, cool Portland day; rare to have a dry day in January!  We rode some of the prettier "view roads" along many waterways and had lunch at "The Little Red Bicycle Cafe"... delicious (I am going back there, soon!!!)sandwiches, fantastic coffee and ginger snaps cookies for dessert.  Rode alongside two major rivers, saw herons, hawks, brightly colored socked bikes and smiles galore. 

TJ

"It's a beautiful day for a ride;
you know you wanna come along!
It's a beautiful day outside;
the air will do you good!"

The Jellydots

TEAM BACCHETTA
thecanoe
  • Total Posts : 1514
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/14 10:26:03 (permalink)
Last weekend's club ride started in Gloucester, a fishing town north of Boston. Almost all the snow has melted, making for bikeable streets and mid 40's temps. We had about 15 people that rode the coastline to Rockport, another seaside community where the famous painting "Motif # 1 " was painted.
http://www.rockportusa.com/motifone/motif_named.html
From there we continued on a circlular loop back to Gloucester for a great lunch in a local resteraunt.
What a great day.
Of course today it is snowing again and we expect 12 inches. But that's New England

Larry

Ti Aero
Surly Moonlander fat bike
Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon 29er
Bassyak (for stripers and blues)
csiga papa
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/14 11:19:13 (permalink)
Finished work for today. My Giro26 will take me home. Imagine a sleepy little town, a few lights in the dark streets, the snow, which melted today, has already frozen onto the roads. It is cold. Dogs do not bark, lying very, VERY peacefully inside, in front of the radiator. I ride home, a truck passes me on the ice, the smell of drying dogs fills the kitchens.

One hour later:
Sitting home. Giro26, "The yellow" is sleepin' in the garage. Two glasses of good red wine are in. And some smoked sausage, bread. Warm room.  Stupid ads on TV.  Lazy to change. Smile. Soft warmness. Catnapppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
post edited by csiga papa - 2008/01/14 13:03:32
jeffssmith1
  • Total Posts : 895
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/14 14:25:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jkeenan7

With an odd assortment of bent bike buds (Strada, Tailwind, Stratus, Burly, and a Corsa) , me Giro20 took us from Deering Estate to  Key Biscayne with my leading the Slo Joe Coco Metric Century ride and some historical sightings:

John Merrick's Chinese Village: In the 20's, John Merrick (no not the Elephant Man) who created Coral Gables built a series of themed villages (clusters of houses).  This 2 block area looks like a Chinese compound and contains 8 houses. 

Will Smith's House:  By Viscaya heading into Key Biscayne, I pointed out Will Smith's (according to a source) house, which is the one that used be owned by Sylvester Stylone right down the street from where Madonna used to have her Miami beach home. 

Bill Bagg State Park.  Then to the park to point out one of the oldest lighthouses in Florida and Stilt Village.  These are homes that were built on stilts out in the ocean.  When the area became a state park the houses were "grand fathered" as no more can be built.  A number have been lost to hurricanes. 

Virginia Key: Hard to believe but a 100 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, Virginia Key up until the 60's was the only beach in the Miami area which allowed afro-americans.   

Crandon Park Beach: A stroll along the beach waterfront where we came across three photo shoots. 

Does a bevy of beautiful models count as a historical sighting?  I'm going with it 

All done during one of those "picture postcard" Miami days: Beautiful sunshine, blue skies, no humidity and ocean views. 

Priceless.

Sounds like you had a great ride. Given the vast improvement in race relations today, it is hard to imagine a time when blacks couldn't even go to a beach (other than Virginia Key).

Yesterday I did an hour long ride while my folks watched my kids. I hit as many hills a possible and enjoyed the snow lined paths that ringed the frozen lakes I looped around. Nice to be on my Corsa again.

Jeff Smith
2006 Corsa - Colorado
floridabicyclist
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? Spuds. 2008/01/20 23:32:05 (permalink)
Spuds.

Yesterday was a non sunny Florida day.  A rare thing.  Forty-five degrees light rain to start, then overcast, warming to fifty five before dropping temp again with lightning, thunder, wind to 25mph, rain at forty degrees.  I didn't get caught by the storm until just four miles from home.  My journey followed A1A along the ocean to Saint Augustine and then inland to the farmland around Hastings and Spuds.  Florida's tater country. 
I had to follow the tempting road names I passed.  Vermont Heights...It wasn't like the Vermont I remember,  I didn't have an altimeter, but doubt I ever got more than fifteen feet above sea level there.  Rolling Hills Road.  Must have been a marketing scheme, or they leveled the hills when they built the neighborhood.  I guess I was rolling down the road.  I followed the road to Hidden Lakes subdivision, where I saw some lakes.  Unless there were more hidden...

I did pass one of our local bike club rides who were in the opposite direction.  Only seven riders, but they still had a sag van. 
WHLSKR
  • Total Posts : 53
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? Spuds. 2008/01/21 01:09:09 (permalink)
Saturday in Los Angeles was incredible!!  Clear blue sky, high 60's, gentle sea breeze, and an almost full moon to the south.  Rode from Huntington Beach up Pacific Coast Hwy to Redondo Beach and then on the ocean front bike path to Marina Del Ray.  Lots of tan girls in bikinis playing volleyball in Hermosa and Manhattan Beach.  Enjoyed a tail wind riding back along the coast route around Plaos Verdes and through San Pedro.  Stopped by West Coast Choppers on Anaheim St to check out the bikes.  The ocean front bike path in Long Beach was nice but no tan girls in bikinis.  And then home along PCH.  No aggressive, fast bikers along the whole route-- everyone seemed to be cruising.  They really are laid back in LA.   The next few days will be in the mid 50's.   Brrrrrrr!!  I may have to wear a vest

Michael

pkrick
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? Spuds. 2008/01/21 21:42:53 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: WHLSKR

Saturday in Los Angeles was incredible!!  Clear blue sky, high 60's, gentle sea breeze....  The next few days will be in the mid 50's.   Brrrrrrr!!  I may have to wear a vest

Michael

I'm looking forward to temps returning to the low 40s (F), with sunshine and no wind .  The temp didn't even get to 20 F yesterday.   Glad that some of you are getting to ride.

Rick Singleton
Louisville, KY USA
2007 Giro 26
1994 Trek 1220
MarshallPrice
  • Total Posts : 514
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? Spuds. 2008/02/24 09:13:09 (permalink)

My ride today took me to Cochran, Georgia for the Biking Bleckley Metric Century. As my first organized ride on my new Corsa it was a great choice.

Just a little history, I have ridden a DF but was more of a casual rider, fell in love with trikes 2 years ago. Bought a Greenspeed GT3 and rode 3,500 miles last year and had a blast. I was lucky to ride my first trike century with a man that I think many of you know, Howard Veitman. He rode his trike on that ride but also talked quite a bit about Bacchetta.. On his blog, Howard reasons that a rider needs 2 bikes, and for him they are a trike for casual rides and a 2 wheel recumbent for fast group rides. So the seed was planted. I looked at many recumbents online but because of Howard’s talk of Bacchetta, my test ride of a Corsa and this meassage board decided to go with the Corsa. So here we are back in the present after 1 month and 325 miles on my new Corsa.

The day started out cloudy and looked like it might rain even though the weather folks said it would clear by 10:00. My plan for the day was to go out as fast as I could with the A folks and see how long it took to be dropped. Then ride my own pace until the B gang caught me and ride with them until they dropped me. Then finish the ride at my own pace or with another group and not stop at any of the rest stops. So I went out fast with the A folks, got dropped at about 12 miles, almost got back on a mile later but just couldn’t bridge the last 100 yards before the next hill. This part was interesting because a df rider was dropped at the same time and we started working together to get back on, I pulled on the flats and the downhills and he pulled on the uphills and it almost worked. So goal one made!

Cruising along by myself and see the B group in my mirror about a half mile back and decided to see how long I could put off the inevitable. So started pushing and managed to hold them off for 4 ish miles, when they caught up it turned out to be a group of guys from Warner Robins that I have ridden with some but they only know me as that trike guy. So I am with the B guys and participating in a paceline! Riding a trike does not lend itself to participating in a paceline.  We ride together this way for about 16 miles and the miles just seemed to melt by and it was cool. The sun started peaking out behind the clouds at this point.

So at about 40 miles they started to pull away from me, we were getting into the hilly (for South Georgia) section of the ride and to be honest I had not been drinking enough fluids. I let them go only to see them stop at a rest stop a couple of miles down the road, I just went on past expecting them to catch up with me later. And that is the way the rest of the ride went, they would catch up with me we would ride together for awhile they would pull away and then stop at a rest stop and I would go on by only to be caught again. It was just way too much fun.  The last 12 miles was into a 10 mile an hour head wind and what felt like if not actually true all uphill!

Ok, I have written a book here, but wanted to share my ride with my fellow Bacchetta riders. Some final stats and thoughts.

1st 40 miles-19.25 MPH
65 miles at 18.25-MPH
Ride time-3:35 ish
1 nature stop and to shed clothes.
Need to drink more!
Parcipating in pacelines are a blast!

All of the above are personal best and I feel good this morning. A little sore in my back but that is from too much pushing and not enough spinning and getting used to a new seat. The engine still needs a lot of work but thanks to Bacchetta I now have the ride to take me there. One of the reasons I bought the Bacchetta was so I could ride with the group and not be looked down on as literally true on a trike.  So it was a great ride, gently rolling hills, great support and I accomplished all my goals.

Wishing all of you great riding days!

Marshall Price
CA2.0 700C-It is Sweet!
Corsa

Life is an Adventure, you just have to look for it!
kd5fdw
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? Spuds. 2008/02/24 11:32:09 (permalink)
Great write-up, Marshall!  Makes living south of the Boston snow belt sound really enticing.

I'm looking forward to more of your "books".

Dave

Bacchetta Strada
Cycle Genius STX-24
EZ-Tandem
Rans Screamer
Zyzzyx
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? Spuds. 2008/02/24 11:49:16 (permalink)
Even though my Strada isn't even in my possession yet, this last week its taken me on some lengthy journeys around Terracycle, BentupCycles, a quick stop at HostelShoppe, and has been a new companion on my usual strolls around BentriderOnline. Heck, its even brought me here!

-----
Z
SouthFlorida
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/02/24 12:48:13 (permalink)
Did a wonderful RUSA 200k permanent here is sunny south Florida from Lighthouse Point to Hobe Sound and back with my good friend Ted.  The route follows beautiful A1A along the ocean.  The weather was beautiful with the temps in the low 80's and a gentle SW breeze to keep us cool.

What is this I keep reading about winter and wishing for spring?  Just head south the weather is beautiful.

Carl
Boynton Beach, Fl
Corsa '07
thecanoe
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/02/24 14:58:29 (permalink)
today was a body and bike road test.
After Friday's snow storm, I woke up today to a bluebird sky and 40 degree temps.
I decided to road test my new bar end shifters on my Giro24x26 and at the same time road test my body.
After 3 years of right lower back pain, an MRI showed a bulging disc. Two weeks ago I had a cordisone injection and the pain is much less. I'm scheduled for another tomorrow so I thought I'd get a ride in.
The bar ends and XT RD shifted impectably. I never liked the SRAM X5 setup.
My back held up well. I only rode 15 miles, but boy, it felt great.
For all you southerners, hears a picture before heading out.
http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=214447212/PictureID=4621675828/a=19479982_19479982/t_=19479982

Larry

Ti Aero
kd5fdw
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/02/24 19:14:00 (permalink)
Larry:

Just when did you wake up today? :0

I'm about 5 miles south of you and I don't think it ever got to 40 degrees HERE today.

I would have to go through the snowbank to get to my bikes.  The driveway plow guy has made sure I can't get to my bikes until the snow is almost all gone this year.

Dave

Bacchetta Strada
Cycle Genius STX-24
EZ-Tandem
Rans Screamer
thecanoe
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/02/24 19:33:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: kd5fdw

Larry:

Just when did you wake up today? :0

I'm about 5 miles south of you and I don't think it ever got to 40 degrees HERE today.

Dave,
 at 8:00 AM, it was 20 degrees
I waited until 1:00 PM and it was 40.
I must live in a Global warming zone and you live in the snow belt.
Where's Al Gore when you need him?

Larry

Ti Aero
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 54
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1