Helpful ReplyHot!Where did your Bacchetta take you today?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 54
Author
JLauer
  • Total Posts : 206
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/05 17:24:45 (permalink)
Aaahhh, today my Bacchetta took me through a beautiful country side with rolling hills and big Oak trees.  We watched the sunrise over the coastal mountains as a light layer of fog rose from the many ponds that we rode past.  As we approached the foothills the roads became steeper but we were able to crest each rise with a 5 – 10 minute effort with several minutes to recover after each one.  It was quiet and peaceful with not a single car on the road.  Just me and my Aero.   NOT!!!!

Here in Northern CA, we are having a pretty good storm.  I lost 6-8 sections of fence and my swimming pool and backyard are filled with branches and leaves from the neighbor’s trees, because of high winds.  The electricity was out for about 6 hours yesterday and they’re calling for heavy rain until Tuesday of next week.

Thanks to Sara Kay’s recommendation, I picked up some of the Chris Carmichael DVD’s for just such an occasion.  I rode on the trainer this morning for about two and half hours, working through both the Criterium and Climbing DVD’s.  Now the Sun did rise while I was spinning and with my eyes closed I did envision a beautiful country side and rolling hills but when my eyes were open, all I could see is the garage door.  I kept my eyes closed a lot.

The most important part of my morning ride is the fact that I could sit on my bike hooked up to a trainer for 2 ½ hours and be comfortable while getting a great workout.  I remember being on a trainer while I was still riding DF’s.  It was difficult for me to make it past the first 20 minutes.  Although I would prefer to ride outside over sitting on a trainer any day, the fact that I can get a great workout and am able to concentrate on the training instead of how much the various parts of my body hurt, is a major plus.  Thanks to my Bacchetta, I will stay in better shape, this winter, because I am more motivated to get on the bike even when the weather I too nasty to ride outside.
post edited by JLauer - 2008/01/05 17:26:02

John Lauer
Elk Grove, Ca
"06" Ti-Aero
nomo4me
  • Total Posts : 171
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/09 21:15:25 (permalink)
I'm working in St. George Utah this week.  It's snowing hard at home in Salt Lake City, but it's 50 deg (f) here with blue skies so I had to bail on work at 3:30 pm and hit the road on the new Corsa 24.

The 8 miles out offered lots of steep climbing and a great workout.  I hit 48 and 45mph on two different downhill segments of the trip back to the car.

Pictures:
Note the truck.  All anyone drives down here are those huge Ford Superduty F-350 trucks.  Today I had them wizzing by at 70 mph.  Note also the very narrow shoulder. 

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/nomo4me/IMG_0179.jpg

I wanted to climb a bit further, but was approaching a tightish canyon turn with almost zero shoulder and those trucks wizzing by.  I had 2 PB Superflash lights winking on the back but it was too iffy, so I ended my climb.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/nomo4me/IMG_0184.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/nomo4me/IMG_0185.jpg

Tonight was the first ride on my Corsa 24.  I have a black Brain Box on it's way for it and have yet to clean up the endless loops of cabling.  The dinotte front light is mounted but I haven't yet bought the mount to attach the rear light to the strut.
I'm very pleased with the gearing.  The big ring is 55 tooth and I'm able to keep pressure on the pedals at 33mph. 
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/nomo4me/IMG_0187.jpg
post edited by nomo4me - 2008/01/09 21:17:22
Nic
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/09 21:25:32 (permalink)
Those colors in the sky is beautiful!!!  Looks like a great ride!  As for the cabling, if I was you, for the time being just wrap the stem and cabling with electrical tape to get them outta the way.  Don't take more then 5 min to do.  Seat looks pretty high angle (seated upright).  That or the 24" wheels throw off the angle of the seat.  If it works for you that's cool, all that matters.  Seat that far verticle I would suggest to go with a recurve rather then EuroMesh.  Just a few observations.

Nic Morel
Corsa SS
Can't beat em... Ban em...

Check out my cave.
http://www.freewebs.com/nicmorel
nomo4me
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/09 21:35:41 (permalink)
Yeah, the seat angle is an issue right now.  Problem is I have t-rex length arms and can't reach the bar if I lean it back any further.   Note how short the grips are cut off to bring the brakes back farther.
The dealer is sending me a new handle bar to try out, I guess it has longer ends.  I'd asked him about switching to a flex riser like I have on my Giro20 but he wants me to stay with the stiffy to keep the bike light.  I'm willing to try it his way, so we'll see how it goes.
I was at 5mph for many of those climbs today and the iffy bar reach definitely lead to some low-speed instability.
post edited by nomo4me - 2008/01/09 22:06:51
thecanoe
  • Total Posts : 1517
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/09 21:40:21 (permalink)
Nomo4me,
I also noticed your seat angle. I run my recurve about the same angle as you. I love the comfort and that's what it's about. How is the comfort of the Euromesh at that angle?

Larry

Ti Aero
Surly Moonlander fat bike
Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon 29er
Bassyak (for stripers and blues)
bent eagle
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/09 21:42:14 (permalink)
My Bacchetta gave me a great experience today, with my wife.  She rides a Trek DF, and my Aero more than keeps up with her.  On my former bents, I've had a difficult time staying with her, especially on the climbs.  On my Aero (the Corsa would be just as good), I can easily keep up with her on the climbs, and I easily pull ahead on the descents and on the flats. 

What this means for us is that she can ride as hard as she likes, getting a good workout, and I can easily stay with her, no matter what the terrain.  In fact, I often have to lazily pedal along, waiting for her to catch up.  She is training for a triathalon, so she wants to ride hard all the time.  On my Aero, I can catch her and talk for a while, or pull ahead and wait for her, or coast along in her draft, whatever I want.  Especially on windy days, I can make it look easy on the Aero, while she works hard just to keep moving.  We have some serious wind in Texas, or at least she says so.  On the Aero, the wind is noticeable, but just not as significant.  I just have to take her word that the wind is there.  The Bacchetta just slices through it.

Steve W
Ti Aero
Nic
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/09 21:42:47 (permalink)
Aaahh...  Bike shop good idea.   Do NOT cut your fork if you don't have to!  Stay with stiffy setup.  Once you cut the fork to put on a flex stem that's it, you are stuck with it, unless you buy a new fork.  Also you might not have aero bars then?  You might have Giro/Strada bars which are shorter?  Reason behind that I understand is the boom on Giro/stradas is longer and the stem is closer to you so the bars can be shorter.  Corsa, and Aero's booms are shorter (stem farther from you) so the Aero bars are longer and more narrow to compensate for the needed extra reach.....  Get Aero bars and I bet you'll be set to rock and roll and lay that seat back!!! 

post edited by Nic - 2008/01/09 21:50:23

Nic Morel
Corsa SS

Check out my cave.
nomo4me
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/09 21:53:10 (permalink)
Hmmm
I hadn't realized that the head tube length would be too long to work with a flex riser.    I don't know what Dale is sending me, but he seems to be up to snuff on the possible options to bring that bar back further.

It's prolly the Aero bar, though I hope it's not narrower than the current bar.

nomo4me
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/09 22:09:07 (permalink)
Comfort on the EM 2 is fine at that angle.  No recumbutt. 

ORIGINAL: thecanoe

Nomo4me,
I also noticed your seat angle. I run my recurve about the same angle as you. I love the comfort and that's what it's about. How is the comfort of the Euromesh at that angle?
nomo4me
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/09 23:51:38 (permalink)
Cool story.  My wife does some yoga but otherwise nada for excercise.  I bought her a Giro 20 for Christmas and hope she will be enthused to work it hard this spring.

ORIGINAL: bent eagle

My Bacchetta gave me a great experience today, with my wife.  She rides a Trek DF, and my Aero more than keeps up with her.  On my former bents, I've had a difficult time staying with her, especially on the climbs.  On my Aero (the Corsa would be just as good), I can easily keep up with her on the climbs, and I easily pull ahead on the descents and on the flats. 

What this means for us is that she can ride as hard as she likes, getting a good workout, and I can easily stay with her, no matter what the terrain.  In fact, I often have to lazily pedal along, waiting for her to catch up.  She is training for a triathalon, so she wants to ride hard all the time.  On my Aero, I can catch her and talk for a while, or pull ahead and wait for her, or coast along in her draft, whatever I want.  Especially on windy days, I can make it look easy on the Aero, while she works hard just to keep moving.  We have some serious wind in Texas, or at least she says so.  On the Aero, the wind is noticeable, but just not as significant.  I just have to take her word that the wind is there.  The Bacchetta just slices through it.
jtanner
  • Total Posts : 144
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/10 03:59:40 (permalink)
I rode the pinellas trail for an hour and chatted w/ Larry and his dog.  Soon to be a Bacchetta rider after our chat.
Went out the Clearwater Beach causeway and looped around sandkey park and spun around the city of Dunedin and rode briefly with a fellow Bacchetta rider that was out for a spin .  What a great day .

Tomorrow it's hammer time ; Sebring is coming .
Big Gear and 5 hours for Thurs.

JT.     Ti-Aero
nomo4me
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/10 23:13:37 (permalink)
I rode up Snow Canyon State Park North of St. George, Utah.  It's a few miles north of the Arizona border in Utah's Western corner.
It's only 4 miles up to the top from the entrance, but it's a good climb offering a nice workout.  I was saved from a speeding ticket on the descent (25 mph limit) when a car flashed his brights at me.  I was doing 40 at the time but hit the brakes down to 30 as I went around the corner to see the resident Park Ranger pointing a radar gun at me as I went by.

So to the maroon Mustang, thanks!!

11 pics of some really beautiful sandstone formations:  http://tinyurl.com/2zbyzh
Nic
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/10 23:19:53 (permalink)
Would like to hear the story on that one if ya was doing 40mph on the bike and did get a ticket.  Oh I'd take a photocopy, and frame the ticket!!!
I think the ranger probably was just curious how fast you was going. 
"License, registration, and insurance please sir?" 

Nic Morel
Corsa SS

Check out my cave.
nomo4me
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/12 23:31:16 (permalink)
Two rides today.

The first this morning on the Giro 20 to trot the dog 2 miles around the neighborhood.  She loves trotting along beside me.  I give her about 12" of leash and we just go along nice and slow with a long stop at the highschool to play fetch with her 'hurl-a-squirrel' (fantastic fetching toy http://tinyurl.com/3e44y9 )

Late this afternoon it was 10 miles on the Corsa 24.  I'm really starting to love that bike as my main ride.

Ward
  • Total Posts : 437
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/13 01:41:38 (permalink)
I rode 90 today, out and back on a highway I had not been on before.  Mostly empty I did pass through two small towns where people gawked, and pointed.  About seven miles out of one of those towns really out in the boons with no houses in sight an SUV with dark tinted windows passed me slowed as it crested the hill in front of me and pulled off the road.  My thought was, oh boy, they are going to jump me as I slow down at the top of the hill.  Happily, as I came close to the SUV, two soccer momish ladies jumped out and started taking pictures and shouting encouragement to me and yelling "Cool Bike".

A short while later a pack of dogs surprised me at the top of another small hill.  There were 5 or 6 with the largest being a boxer mix probably about 60 or 70 pounds.  They were looking pretty serious so I whipped out some Dog whisperer on them.  I held my hand over my head and started snapping my fingers and yelled "come on puppies, hurry up, come on".  They dropped right in behind me in the road.  I slowly increased my speed and pulled away, looking back they were just standing in the road looking sort of confused.

All in all a nice day.  90 miles in 5 1/2 hours even total time with around 4500 feet total elevation (my gps is never accurate)

Ward
csiga papa
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/13 02:51:41 (permalink)
nomo,

you said, your arms are short, that's why you cannot set your seat lower.
My small idea: Rotate your riser 180 degrees! You will see how it works. Maybe there will be no room for your knees. Costs nothing to try.
post edited by csiga papa - 2008/01/13 02:54:43
thecanoe
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/13 09:06:28 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: csiga papa

nomo,

My small idea: Rotate your riser 180 degrees! You will see how it works. Maybe there will be no room for your knees. Costs nothing to try.

My friend Dave did that to his Strada with no problems. Here's a picture.
http://www.geoffadams.com/bikes/CRW4.25.07/CRW4.25.07-Pages/Image2.html

Larry

Ti Aero
nomo4me
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/13 11:14:28 (permalink)
Thanks guys for the suggestion and pic.
I've been considering doing that very thing, though I think it might bring the bar back a bit further than I need, which means it would also impede ingress/egress more than necessary.

I do need to lessen the reach. 

First I'll try the longer-reach bar the bike shop is sending me.

If that doesn't work I'll try flipping the riser.

If that brings the bar back too far I'll probably take the taller riser that was also supplied to me by the bike shop (I'm to return the one I don't want to use) and cut the 'head' off of it, also cutting off the curved portion to yield a riser of the correct height.  I'll then have the head welded back on to yield a straight tube riser and have it re-anodized.
Or is such a part already available off the shelf?

Mike

ORIGINAL: thecanoe

ORIGINAL: csiga papa

nomo,

My friend Dave did that to his Strada with no problems. Here's a picture.
http://www.geoffadams.com/bikes/CRW4.25.07/CRW4.25.07-Pages/Image2.html
thecanoe
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/13 13:52:24 (permalink)
Check out the straight risers from Rans
http://www.shoprans.com/products.asp?cat=16&pg=2

Larry

Ti Aero
nomo4me
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/13 14:13:39 (permalink)
Cool
Assuming they will clamp the Bacchetta bar that's great to know they are available off the shelf.

Thx

Mike
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 54
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1