Helpful ReplyHot!Where did your Bacchetta take you today?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 54
Author
Nic
  • Total Posts : 1303
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/22 16:39:18 (permalink)
Snowing hard and blizzard like conditions outside.  Locked bacchetta on the trainer, hooked upto kid's playstation with bike controller and raced motorcycles for about 20miles worth!!!  LOVE the game bike controller setup!  Makes using the trainer ALOT MORE enjoyable, fun, and still got to attack raceing leaders!!!!

Nic Morel
Corsa SS
Can't beat em... Ban em...

Check out my cave.
http://www.freewebs.com/nicmorel
Aero92
  • Total Posts : 647
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/23 03:58:17 (permalink)
It was 60 and sunny today.  The shadows got nice and long as the ride went on.  Enjoy the ride.
Streaming on YouTube
Download it in high res
post edited by Aero92 - 2007/12/23 04:11:43
BirdieMama
  • Total Posts : 2544
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/23 14:17:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Aero92

It was 60 and sunny today.  The shadows got nice and long as the ride went on.  Enjoy the ride.
Streaming on YouTube
Download it in high res

That was a very cool ride-video, Jonathan - I also loved your holiday greeting video!  Keep up the good, fun "work" and thanks for sharing it! 

Remember - you and I are going to have to do the Oregon Columbia Gorge tour video - I'll be your tour guide, you film the scenic wonder of it all.  Hope to see you in the PNW in 2008!
TJ

"It's a beautiful day for a ride;
you know you wanna come along!
It's a beautiful day outside;
the air will do you good!"

The Jellydots

TEAM BACCHETTA
cwoodhou
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/26 10:49:08 (permalink)
After a good overnight rainfall had washed away the slimy salt-grit from the winter UK roads, a gorgeous crisp morning, no wind and since it is Boxing day, no cars either. 50 miles of bliss, dodging dewey eyed rabbits, scaring squirrels along the lanes and chasing the long shadows as the sun rose over the morning mist. A real treat. Plenty of history too: At least two Saxon churches (10 century), the mound from a Norman moated castle built on a Roman original (1st Century AD) at Pleshey (mentioned in Shakespeare's Richard II). Many 16th century thatched cottages. Still no cars. Two fords (the river, not the Blue Oval). Falcons hovering overhead and the distant cry of oversexed Pheasants.

Passed a DF road race. They couldn't be bothered to reciprocate my cheery greeting. Their loss. Back home in time for a hot tub, lunch and wash the crud off the bike. Must remember to find a front mudguard for the Corsa.

Happy New Year to all!

Attached Image(s)

regards
Chris Woodhouse
Cycle Touring Club UK
Bacchetta Corsa - for dry days
VanNicholas Yukon - for wet days
Dahon P8 - for green days
Tom Barone
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/26 14:47:02 (permalink)
    Did a very nice 34 mile ride today. Just right temp's  ( low 30F's) almost no wind. I was probably my last opportunity to ride for 2007, i needed to get a short ride in to cap off the 2007 season with 7123 miles. The weather forecast for the next several days isn't very good so i'll have to accept the total miles for 2007.
     My personal best season EVER!!!!  There have been many contributing factors that have made this PB --- having excellent health, riding safe,  and an unquenchable desire to ride my AERO .  66 yrs. old ,retired ,and feeling 42 " ---what a wonderful life"

Thanks Rick P. from the Aerocycle days to the Ti Aero i feel i have accomplished more that one could have ever asked for . You have been an inspiration!!! 

" No Train---No Gain "

If you ride back in the pack the view never changes
wkrider
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/31 12:11:34 (permalink)
It took me on a nice casual ride with some friends from Bike Journal.  We went to the indian community of Sacaton which is south of my house.  They have a park there with an Iwo Jima and Ira Hayes memorial.  Was a nice 30 mile and the weather was great, clear and about 60 degrees.  One of the DF riders actually rode my Strada for a bit.  She really liked it even though it was to big for her.  

2007 Strada
http://wkrider.smugmug.com/

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride". ~John F. Kennedy
dmrider
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/01 00:56:36 (permalink)
Great morning ride from the San Gabriel Mountains to the Pacific Ocean along the Rio Hondo and LA River Bike Trails. Temps in the mid 60s, zillions of birds, (my favorite was a family of turkey vultures) and just a few mammals. Finished near Aero92’s back yard. Sorry to hear of a broken fork, but glad to know that all is ok. Couldn’t ask for much more in the Northern Hemisphere on December 31.

David Rider
Monrovia, CA
'07 Bacchetta Corsa
bent eagle
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/01 19:29:07 (permalink)
I started the new year off on my Aero.  A nice ride out through the country around Roanoke, Texas.  Hardly any traffic, just me and a bunch of cows.  Way too windy and cold, but being on a Bacchetta makes you forget all about that and just enjoy yourself.

Steve W
Ti Aero
thecanoe
  • Total Posts : 1517
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/01 20:08:02 (permalink)
http://www.cycle-ops.com/p-309-fluid.aspx

No place. It's still snowing

Larry

Ti Aero
Surly Moonlander fat bike
Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon 29er
Bassyak (for stripers and blues)
floridabicyclist
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/01 20:45:12 (permalink)
My Giro 26 took me to The Fountain of Youth!  I rode with a nice tail wind south for 30miles and rode some tree canopied roads in Saint Augustine.  Stopped in front of the Fountain of Youth.  Did my big climbs for the day.   Intercoastal bridge at Villano is more than 60 feet! The thirty miles northward into 10-20 mph winds not as much fun as the southbound windaided leg.  The last few weeks illness imposed rest didn't help, but glad to be riding.  Beautiful cool sunny day. Temp 59-65 but the cold front is building. 

Happy new year from North Florida.

Mike
Scorpio
  • Total Posts : 1469
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/01 21:07:11 (permalink)
Sun was shinning, temps pretty decent (40's) so my son and I went for a nice little 27 mile ride up and down the northern california coast.  Since his bike is back at college (DC) I let him ride my Trek DF.  Great day to ride, got some nice anerobic sprints on some of the straighter flat stretchs.....we enjoyed the break from the rain and finished off the ride with a couple of recovery porters.     Great day: sunshine, good time with my son (he is a cycling nut too), no wind, nice views (the beaches were great) a bit of a workout, and good beer.  Need more days like this.

Javid (pronounced "David") Bradley
Carbon Aero 2.0
Ti Aero
RUSA #7172

Team RAAM Sarcoma Powered by Bacchetta Bike

www.TeamRavenLunatics.com

"My Drinking Team Has A Racing Problem"
WHLSKR
  • Total Posts : 53
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/01 21:22:38 (permalink)
The local bike clubs in the San Francisco bay area were having a New Years bike ride up Mt. Diablo and visiting from up north I decided to go along.  I started out in Lafayette and headed down Danville Blvd to El Cerro Blvd and then east on El Cerro Blvd/Diablo Blvd to the south gate and then up the hill to the top (3849' high).  The weatherman promised it would be 62 and sunny today but grinding up that hill with the hot sun beating down on me it felt closer to 80.  I have a policy that no one passes me but its hard to keep up with the carbon DF's on hills and two got by me near the top.  The top was great with warm sun and hazy 360 degree views.  Zach, the local recumbent dealer, who you would think show up riding the hottest wheels in recumbentdom, showed up riding what would best described as the trabant of recumbents.  I returned downhill to the north gate and the sharp curves made it difficult to maintain the 25 mph speed limit.  But no sin goes unpunished on devil's mountain and I blew though a speed trap maintained by two of the devil's finest near the bottom.  They finially caught me 100 yards before the park gate-- lights, siren, everything.  They said I was speeding.  They wanted to see the top speed on my computer.  They said two female bikers said I was going really fast.  But they must have not had their radar on so they made sure I wasn't wanted and let me go with a warning.    woo--hoo!!!

Michael
Koyak
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/02 09:11:11 (permalink)
For New Year's day, I thought about doing the group ride with John Bruno and the folks at Bikes @ Vienna.  But had to get together with family for our annual New Years day gathering. 

So, before dawn with my Dinotte's blazing I did a hilly ride around my area.  this was my first hard ride since coming down with the flu.    Temps during the ride started in the mid 30's ending with temps in the low 40's. 

also, This was my first day riding again with computer.  I switched to short, 152 mm, cranks a month or two ago and in effort to concentrate on spinning and not focus on speed I've been computer free.  To my surprise, my average speed had jumped up about 1 mph !  

It's been difficult adjustment period with the short cranks.  I've changed position a lot to alleviate my knee pain  caused by knee injury and resulting three knee surgeries.  A more upright  and extended position seems to work best for me to spin pain free.  And maybe this more upright position is the reason why my hill climbing has improved - It looks like I was climbing some of the hills 1 to 2 mph faster, but my speed in the flats was slower  - about 1-2 mph slower. 

I'm still not certain whether the short cranks are for me.   I'll be testing some 165mm cranks (thanks to fellow BB-er for the great deal on the cranks!) in the coming weeks. 

Mike

Mike

Bacchetta Giro 26
HP Velotechnik Grasshopper

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells
BirdieMama
  • Total Posts : 2544
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/02 09:31:59 (permalink)
Didn't break any speed laws, "fer shur", on my New Year's Day ride (good going, Michael/WHLSKR!!!), but I saw a lot of good friends as a couple hundred Portland riders turned out from all points of the city to coverge at noon at the Battleship Oregon Memorial at Tom McCall Waterfront Park, to hear words of wisdom on cycling in the New Year and a tribute to Brett Jarolimek, one of several killed last year.  It was FRIGID, but fun.  Rode the Aero - not the Basso/HPV. 

Photos at: www.flickr.com/photos/bacchetta_aero/sets

Let the 2008 "Where did your Bacchetta take you today?" reports begin!
TJ

"It's a beautiful day for a ride;
you know you wanna come along!
It's a beautiful day outside;
the air will do you good!"

The Jellydots

TEAM BACCHETTA
monkeydaddy
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/02 10:27:05 (permalink)
I joined a couple hundred DFrs, a handful of recumbents and one other Corsa, to pedal the hills of Blue Ridge, TX. The "Happy New Rear" ride on the first is an anual event. It was in the 40s and very windy with crystal blue skys. This is a remote rural area with lots of cows, horses, and friendly dogs. At one point the sun was beaming down on my right side and the wind was penetrating my left side. I was hot and cold at the same time! I finished 28 miles without incident and had black eyed peas and cornbread in the Blue Ridge Recreation Center with my bent buds afterwards. A good day even if it was a bit cold.

Richard
Zach
  • Total Posts : 861
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/02 11:50:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: WHLSKR

The local bike clubs in the San Francisco bay area were having a New Years bike ride up Mt. Diablo and visiting from up north I decided to go along.  I started out in Lafayette and headed down Danville Blvd to El Cerro Blvd and then east on El Cerro Blvd/Diablo Blvd to the south gate and then up the hill to the top (3849' high).  The weatherman promised it would be 62 and sunny today but grinding up that hill with the hot sun beating down on me it felt closer to 80.  I have a policy that no one passes me but its hard to keep up with the carbon DF's on hills and two got by me near the top.  The top was great with warm sun and hazy 360 degree views.  Zach, the local recumbent dealer, who you would think show up riding the hottest wheels in recumbentdom, showed up riding what would best described as the trabant of recumbents.  I returned downhill to the north gate and the sharp curves made it difficult to maintain the 25 mph speed limit.  But no sin goes unpunished on devil's mountain and I blew though a speed trap maintained by two of the devil's finest near the bottom.  They finially caught me 100 yards before the park gate-- lights, siren, everything.  They said I was speeding.  They wanted to see the top speed on my computer.  They said two female bikers said I was going really fast.  But they must have not had their radar on so they made sure I wasn't wanted and let me go with a warning.    woo--hoo!!!

Michael

Hey, don't you be dissing my Earth Cycles Sunset commute/winter bike. A couple members of my bike club who were still ascending Mt. Diablo when you were descending said you were coasting with both feet out of the pedals and legs hanging down. What was up with that? BTW, congratulations on getting up that steep section near the top with a 39T inner ring on your double crankset. Last time I rode to the top of Mt. Diablo I was on my Carbon Aero and found the 30-27 first 27" first gear barely low enough for that steep part. It looks like you have a 39-34 which would be a 28" first gear.

Zach Kaplan Cycles
510-522-BENT (2368)
zach@zachkaplancycles.com
http://www.zachkaplancycles.com
WHLSKR
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/03 13:58:06 (permalink)
Zach-- ride ha!! I had to walk.  Coming around the bend, I totally misjudged the steepness of the hill, did not get my gears down in time, shoe hit my front tire and I stopped. Rather than trying to restart, I walked the last 100 feet.  With my gearing once you loose monentum your in trouble.  Next time I will be ready for that hill and ride it to the top.  I have ridden steeper hills with that gearing.  I have no problem going up S. Park Drive when I do my Oakland hills loop.  The steepest street I have been up on that bike has been S. Parkland PL--  just north of  the I90 Lake Washington crossing in Seattle. 
I've learned to modulate my downhill speed using my feet-- its much safer as you don't worry about overheating your rims.  Also, with the feet down on the ground you can really lean into those downhill hairpin turns and be much faster without falling.

MIchael
Zach
  • Total Posts : 861
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/04 12:42:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: WHLSKR

Zach-- ride ha!! I had to walk.  Coming around the bend, I totally misjudged the steepness of the hill, did not get my gears down in time, shoe hit my front tire and I stopped. Rather than trying to restart, I walked the last 100 feet.  With my gearing once you loose monentum your in trouble.  Next time I will be ready for that hill and ride it to the top.  I have ridden steeper hills with that gearing.  I have no problem going up S. Park Drive when I do my Oakland hills loop.  The steepest street I have been up on that bike has been S. Parkland PL--  just north of  the I90 Lake Washington crossing in Seattle. 
I've learned to modulate my downhill speed using my feet-- its much safer as you don't worry about overheating your rims.  Also, with the feet down on the ground you can really lean into those downhill hairpin turns and be much faster without falling.

MIchael

You aren't worried about leg suck using your feet as outriggers like that? How long do the soles or your shoes last using that technique?

I enjoyed hearing the buzzing of the disc brakes as I (mostly) obeyed the speed limit descending Mt. Diablo. That reminds me, did you see the overturned Jeep? It was on the north ascent when I was climbing.

Coming back from Mt. Diablo I rode through Walnut Creek, Lafayette, and Orinda to Wildcat Canyon Rd. and then went up South Park Dr. to Grizzly Peak and down Tunnel into Oakland. When I rode up South Park on my Sunset I was spinning my 152 mm cranks in the 17.2" first gear a good portion of the time. I've gone up South Park in the 27" gear of my Carbon Aero but at sub-optimal cadence. The last stretch of Mt. Diablo feels steeper than South Park but no where near as long.

Zach Kaplan Cycles
510-522-BENT (2368)
zach@zachkaplancycles.com
http://www.zachkaplancycles.com
WHLSKR
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/05 00:06:53 (permalink)
An accident scene and not a speed trap?  Well, that explains a lot of things.  Apparently the cops had time to poll the local cyclists standing around on whether or not that recumbent was speeding.  Who were those two female cyclists who sold a fellow rider out?  Anyway, I wear sandals all the time while walking and when the soles are smooth use them for biking.  I quickly outrode the original brakes on my beloved Giro and discovered I could supplement the brakes with my feet.  Even better, I could put one foot down when making turns.  I can't tell you how many times I've saved myself from a fall on wet pavement using this method.  If you want to learn this technique, get some smooth soled sandals (I wear Nikes) and gently break them in by dragging them flat footed while riding your bike.  You need to do this until they no longer "grab".  Practice on a surface such as an ocean front bike path where the combination of smooth cement and sand will help prevent grab and give you confidence.  I've never had leg suck and never replaced my bike brake shoes.

Michael 
jkeenan7
  • Total Posts : 1883
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2008/01/05 15:51:48 (permalink)
After about 20 days off the bike, me Giro20 took me on a traipse through the back roads of South Florida to Coconut Grove where I people watched a bit before meandering back to Deering Estate.  A traipse and a meander makes for a nice ride!!     Tomorry a century just because....

'16 Carbon Basso GS
'06 Bike Friday NWT
'99 VRexAchetta (Stolen and Born Again)
'08 Bike Friday Tandem
'13  Mukluk3 
SOLD:'05 Aero Basso '06 Ti Aero '05 Corsa '11 29er MTB  Bike Friday SAT R DAY  '07 Giro 20 '03 Strada

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 54
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1