Helpful ReplyHot!Where did your Bacchetta take you today?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 54
Author
BirdieMama
  • Total Posts : 2544
  • Reward points: 0
Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/08 23:14:31 (permalink)
Today my Aero Basso took me on a 60 mile journey from home, to Jazzy Bagels, in Gresham and back.  It was a clear and BRISK Portland day and my new finger fairing served me well.

Along the way I saw the awesome Willamette River, a paddlewheeler, "raced" a beautiful old steam engine, listened to beautiful piano music, ate a great bagel, made some new friends and had a lot of fun. 

Below is the train and for interested folks, here's a link to my Flickr site with all of the shots from today's ride.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bacchetta_aero/sets/72157603407844532/

TJ "what a lovely way to get back into riding again!"

post edited by BirdieMama - 2007/12/08 23:15:57

"It's a beautiful day for a ride;
you know you wanna come along!
It's a beautiful day outside;
the air will do you good!"

The Jellydots

TEAM BACCHETTA
Hell Bent
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/08 23:41:21 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: BirdieMama

Today my Aero Basso took me on a 60 mile journey from home, to Jazzy Bagels, in Gresham and back.

Looks like a fun day.  Love the steam engine!  Enjoyed the photos.  Thanks.

CA 2.0
dmrider
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/09 02:43:32 (permalink)
Did my measly 31 mile loop on the San Gabriel and Rio Hondo river trails. Mostly sunny and just over 60 deg. Lots of birds: Canadian geese, Coots, Red Tail Hawks, Peregrine Falcon, Great Blue Heron, Turkey Vultures, Gulls, Mallards. Sure there were others too. Who would believe one could find these in LA?  Rode by the rodeo too. I must stop and check this out.
Dave Rider

David Rider
Monrovia, CA
'07 Bacchetta Corsa
jacopp
  • Total Posts : 423
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/09 05:55:35 (permalink)
Hey Marilyn

Great pics.

I was wondering in the last picture I don't see a seat pad on your bike are you into some new form of pain?

Jay
RocStrada
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/09 09:12:44 (permalink)
20 mile loop with breakfast at the 1/3d mark. The usual Sunday morning crew of bent (and I mean that in the nicest way) riders, though I was the only one who rode.

We do a warm-weather Sunday morning Hellbent for Breakfast that's on the bike club's calendar. When the weather turns iffy, it's more ad hoc, with email and phone calls flying right up to start time (630 AM).

Just below freezing here, but not a lot of precip in the last few days, so the streets were mainly dry and ice-free.

It was good to get out. Riding the DF on the rollers just doesn't give me the same satisfaction.

Dave
pursuing reclined recreation
Rochester, NY
RocStrada@frontiernet.net
http://home.rochester.rr.com/rare
I need a new screen name since my Strada's long been sold
jlipsky
  • Total Posts : 321
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/09 09:18:59 (permalink)
Marilyn,

What great pictures. Such an incredible view from a bike path! Our local rails-to-trails path goes through lots of woods and forest but nothing comparable to trains, rivers, downtown, farms, etc, etc.

Due to a pretty severe medical situation, I haven't been on my bike since mid-October and might not be back on it for another 6 months or so. I'd almost forgotten how riding is such a wonderful change of scenery. Seeing your pictures reminded me again of Where my Bacchetta can take me.

Thanks,
Jerry
BirdieMama
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/09 09:37:02 (permalink)
Heal FAST, Jerry!!!  I want to read a sweet ride report from you that knocks my socks off, soon! 

Marilyn

The Jellydots

TEAM BACCHETTA
sfuller
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/09 09:41:45 (permalink)
The Corsa is hung up for the winter here due to the snow and ice. Miles are being logged on the trainer or on a Surly Karate Monkey mountain bike. Headed out for a 2- 3 hour ride in the 9F air again today around noon or so.

Steve Fuller
http://www.sfuller.net
Tom Barone
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/09 10:50:48 (permalink)
    Marilyn,

Great pictures, just loved the train photo's. When i was a little boy ( a Long time ago) these trains were common scene around my home area. Brought back many memories--thanks!!!!

My ride on Sat. Nov. 8 was a rather event full one for me, i managed to exceed my wildest dream of having ridden over 7.000 miles in one calender year. There was a time only a few years ago that  the thoughts of riding that many miles on a bike would have only brought a laugh.
   The Ti Aero that i have has proved to be a wonderful ride. Retirement has been more than i expected, life is GOOD !!!

" No Train---No Gain "

If you ride back in the pack the view never changes
jkeenan7
  • Total Posts : 1883
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/09 18:13:44 (permalink)
WILL NOT LOOK AT TWEETY'S PICTURES!!!

Can Not.

Will Not.

Do Not.

Must Not.

Homesick me get big time!!!   But me happy for the bird lady flying again, me am. 

So instead, I took my RexAcchetta (The frame is RANS everything else is Bacchetta or "parts")  out into the gray, dull, mostly boring, crowded, "look out for anything and everyone", oh oh, streets of Shanghai.  The best I can say is "yup..it was a ride."

'16 Carbon Basso GS
'06 Bike Friday NWT
'99 VRexAchetta (Stolen and Born Again)
'08 Bike Friday Tandem
'13  Mukluk3 
SOLD:'05 Aero Basso '06 Ti Aero '05 Corsa '11 29er MTB  Bike Friday SAT R DAY  '07 Giro 20 '03 Strada

g27md
  • Total Posts : 960
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/09 18:23:20 (permalink)
T.B., lucky you having such a nice place to ride your bicycle.  Beautiful photos and images.

Jim
wkrider
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Tour de Tucson 2007/12/10 10:00:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Crit Rider

Thanks for the pics wkrider.  Really want to do this event one of these years. Gott con my bro into driving over from Santa Fe. Now I know that I'll need MTB shoes and Frogs for the wash. How long is that thing? I wonder what a circus it is when the front group hits it. How many miles into the ride is it? The roads look great, and they block traffic?!

There are four mileage options.....109, 80 (that is what I did), 67, 33.  I did the 109 in 2004 and the first wash is about, i would have to guess, 10 miles in.  It is short and wide so not a big problem.  The second one  is about 40 miles in.  It is much narrower and longer.  THe cops in Tucson and the surrounding cites do an AWESOME job with traffic control.  All cyclists have the right of way.  If I lived in Tucson I would not leave my house that day....there were cars backed up for miles at lights and stop signs.  We had to stop once for traffic and that was when we were getting close to town at a very large intersection.  It is a fun ride, a must do.

2007 Strada
http://wkrider.smugmug.com/

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride". ~John F. Kennedy
bentbikerider
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Tour de Tucson 2007/12/10 11:32:10 (permalink)
Ditto to wkrider's comments. I have done the 109 mile length four times now. So far, I have been lucky in that the wash crossings have been dry every time. El Tour is really fun to do.

Richard House
Albuquerque, NM
'10 Greenspeed X5
'06 Corsa (Q-Rings)
'03 Strada (Rotor Crank)
jeffssmith1
  • Total Posts : 895
RE: Tour de Tucson 2007/12/10 14:47:16 (permalink)
Nice looking finger fairings, Marilyn--you are a woman of many talents. I see you were using your TailSok, training up for SEBRING I imagine. You've gone back and forth a bit on the TailSok (at least in some posts from several months ago)--are you pretty happy about it now? Do you notice much aero improvement?

Jeff Smith
2006 Corsa - Colorado
jeffssmith1
  • Total Posts : 895
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/10 14:48:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: sfuller

The Corsa is hung up for the winter here due to the snow and ice. Miles are being logged on the trainer or on a Surly Karate Monkey mountain bike. Headed out for a 2- 3 hour ride in the 9F air again today around noon or so.

You are one hardy rider, Steve. I've been thinking about putting some air in my mountain bike tires and riding in some snow myself.

Jeff Smith
2006 Corsa - Colorado
thecanoe
  • Total Posts : 1514
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/12 15:18:03 (permalink)
This has been a very early winter for Boston. Several snow or ice storms and cold weather have arrived early so I have been MTBing. But , to my surprise, today, after an early rain, the sun came out and it warmed up to 46 degrees. So I left work early and decided to take out the bent. Since the roads are all full of salt, sand and melting snow, this gave me a good oportunity to test out my Giro 20 ,setup with fenders for winter. The aero is keeping warm in the basement until spring arrives.
Well, I headed out on my local 15 mile loop and after 10 miles the wind started howling as a coldfront approached. I finished the ride in record slow time and spent the next half hour cleaning the bike. It was good to get out on the road again.

Larry

Ti Aero
Surly Moonlander fat bike
Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon 29er
Bassyak (for stripers and blues)
BirdieMama
Tour de Christmas Ships 2007/12/12 22:48:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jeffssmith1

Nice looking finger fairings, Marilyn--you are a woman of many talents. I see you were using your TailSok, training up for SEBRING I imagine. You've gone back and forth a bit on the TailSok (at least in some posts from several months ago)--are you pretty happy about it now? Do you notice much aero improvement?

Hi Jeff,

thanks for your kind words! 

I decided to put the tail sok on the Aero Basso "primarily" for visibility, since it is my commuter bike and I travel on some REALLY dark roads on the 12 miles commute home; with the "fire fly" light illuminating the sock from inside of it and my DiNotte tail light, people really get out of my way on the road, if for no other reason than the weird/obnoxious factor.    I really DO notice some speed benefit with it on the flats and the more I ride with it, the more I like it. 

Sebring is going to be...ummm... interesting... for me... maybe even pathetic, but I'll give it a go.  My lungs are so trashed from my illness that I feel like I've aged 10 years in two months.  Big "breathing study" with the pulmonary guy this Friday.  Ugh.  Still hacking like a 2-packs-a-day smoker nearly 3 months later.  My riding is... oh hell, at least I'm BACK on the bike and I pulled off 60 miles on Saturday... but it's hard to go from being strong to being nearly incapable.  (Count your blessings... count your blessings... she says to self...)

So..tail sok on the Aero - aka - Miz Bianca Bacchetta... yeah... another OHPVer is selling one for dirt cheap and I'm buying it so I'm not always having to yutz things between the two bikes.  AND, since I am a skilled seamstress, I will have a go at making a full body sok.  Why not?  I'll still be slow, but maybe not totally sucking like a Hoover.   And ... if I'm going to HPV Sebring, I need to start now on the Aero, because getting the feel for it on the Basso and the Aero is DAY -vs- NIGHT - the two bikes are completely different rides, not even close except for the flex of the ti frames. 

So... back to the "Where did your Bacchetta Take You Today?" ... well, it was actually yesterday, but Bella Basso took me 12 miles to work in 27 degrees, bundled up like Michelin Man and then after work she took me down to the waterfront where I ate dinner with good friends on a restaurant that floats on the Willamette River and we watched the parade of the Christmas Ships.  It was wonderful!  Then Bella took me home on pitch black roads and I got home close to midnight.  I drove my CAR to work today... I was super tired, but sure had FUN!  That's where my Bacchetta took me "today"!

A few of the Christmas Ships (names of the ships are on photos):

post edited by BirdieMama - 2007/12/12 23:21:07

The Jellydots

TEAM BACCHETTA
Roy_Dude
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/13 07:33:50 (permalink)
My Bacchetta took me on my "Back Yard Loop" through a rural section of Hazel Green North Alabama, where I simply follow the fields, (cotton, corn, beans or sod) on the roads that border them.
The local house dogs continue to view me as an oddity invading their space, then finding worth by "chasing" me away. 
Generally, only have a half dozen or so other vehicles share the road with me and as it would seem, never another cyclist.
It was a wonderful day, in the 70's, sunny with a mild breeze, on the bike and not at work.
Life is good. Better still, life is GREAT! 
Today it's raining....

Roy_Dude
First Bent
Bacchetta Carbon Aero 0031-Shiny
Litespeed Ultimate 20329-Dusty
Litespeed Tachyon 3184-Very Dusty
Tennessee/Alabama Hills
nomo4me
  • Total Posts : 171
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/16 20:03:24 (permalink)
A bluebird day here in Utah.  Would have been perfect for skiing, but I didn't catch the 'bent bug' until the biking season was nearly over.  So after lolling much of the day away I decided that I just had to get on the Giro 20 and grind away.
It's 12 miles from my house in Salt Lake City to the Sun & Moon cafe in Emmigration Canyon.  It was 35 deg. here in the valley at 2pm when I started out but couldn't have been above 20 deg. at my turn around point, where I did bother to unzip the Brain Box and don a Balaclava for the 30mph descent back down to the valley. 

Coming home I made the mistake of trying to take bike path back across Parley's canyon, which still had much snow on it and I ended up pushing the bike for about a mile, sometimes through snow, sometimes trying to keep my feet under me on black ice.   Later, putting my bike in the garage my 75 y.o. neighbors pulled up and rolled down a window to make some small talk about my funny bike.  Howard said "watch out Mike, there are a lot of crazies out there", to which I replied "yeah, and old folks too" .
They drove off with a good belly-laugh.   They have been dear friends since 1990 when we moved here.

BTW, have a look at the blog my new riding buddy keeps for pictures of moi: http://fastredbike.blogspot.com/

Mike

Scorpio
  • Total Posts : 1469
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/12/16 23:15:33 (permalink)
Ok, maybe it wasn't today but last week.  Jim Kern came up for a few days and there was supposed to be a break in the rain...I take off the afternoon to ride with Jim.  No rain but thick fog. Well if I'm spending vacation time I'm going to ride.   Jim borrows my wife's Cafe' as he didn't' bring a bike this trip.  We spend an hour riding up and down the hills of Arcata looking properties that Jim is interested in.  There are some steep hills so it is very interesting.  Finally we head north though the bottomlands of Arcata.  Fog is very thick and the road is rough.  Normally we would ride these roads at 20-22 mph.  This day we are more like 16 mph as we had to clean off the water from our glasses as well as hope there isn't any cows loose on the road!  Soon we turn east to climb over a little 500' hill, big enough to stop the fog and the backside is a straight road with about a 18% grade so it allows for a very fast descent.  My all time high is set there at 55 mph.  Jim of course has to show me that even on a cafe he can make be go anaerobic climbing the hill.  But on the descent there is proof positive that the Aero is more aero than the cafe.  Smoked him on the downhill. Only got to 52 mph but fast enough to leave him well behind.  Then 8 miles of rollers where I do my very best to drop him, doesn't quite work but at least I know he is having to work and I paid him back for the climb.  Our little 30-mile ride ends up at my wife's work, Mad River Brewing Company and their taproom.  My wife drove the van with the bike racks so we are free to drink brew on my wife's tab until she sees fit to drag our sorry as**s home.  Of course we couldn't resist a few pictures of our finish...eat your heart out Rich!  The last pictures are off Kevin's bike (an employee of MRB)  ready to head home.

Yes those are beer tanks !

Jim Kern

Kevins' bike.

Must have forgot to bring his camelbak that day !
post edited by Scorpio - 2007/12/17 14:34:52

Javid (pronounced "David") Bradley
Carbon Aero 2.0
Ti Aero
RUSA #7172

Team RAAM Sarcoma Powered by Bacchetta Bike

www.TeamRavenLunatics.com

"My Drinking Team Has A Racing Problem"
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 54
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1