Helpful ReplyHot!Where did your Bacchetta take you today?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 53
Author
seragram
  • Total Posts : 236
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2006/07/30 16:35:10 (permalink)
On a fast club ride. Stradas really shine on this kind of environment.

Sergio from Pompano Beach FL Super Strada
EZ Biker
  • Total Posts : 850
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2006/07/30 21:07:20 (permalink)
Sunday - July 30, 2006
Along with my weekend romp with the local FAST DFer's at A1A / Commercial ride event I put together about a 70 mile ride from Pompano Beach, to Ft. Lauderdale Beach, Los Olas Blvd., back to the Beach along A1A up to Boington Beach and back. Here is the gmap route.

EZ Biker :-) Fort Lauderdale, Fl * www.ezbiker.com
WaltzKing
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2006/07/31 11:34:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: kd5fdw

I started clicking through your pictures and started thinking that these scenes look very familiar.

A few more clicks and I started recognizing signs and buildings...that I pass on MY commute!

Thanks for the great photo-diary of my ride. I'm the other Strada that you might see crossing your path along the route.

Dave
Big Orange Strada
Commute: Lincoln to Cambridge

Here's a Bikely map of the commute: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Waltham-to-Woburn-commute
So where do we cross paths?
BirdieMama
  • Total Posts : 2544
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/23 20:11:00 (permalink)
My Bacchetta took me on my first ride in exactly two months, after getting seriously ill with a "mystery" lung ailment.  The last ride I did was "Peach of a Century", the full 100 one week after getting off of an intense Cycle Oregon.  On September 23rd (Peach day) I was tired, but hardened and strong.  On September 24th I had a fever and difficulty standing and breathing... it's been a long claw back.

Today I did a modest 31.59 miles of urban riding at a pokey 10.9 mph.  It was very cold and windy, but clear.  I rode bundled up like an Eskimo.  What had been super easy to fly up two months ago wasn't "tough", but it sure as heck wasn't easy. 

Excitement in the ride was helping a drunken homeless man by racing off and getting the police.  I came upon the scene of a bike crash as I rounded a sharp corner of a bike path.  Here I come, in classic full riding gear on my Aero and there lay a helmetless man, in ratty clothes, tangled up in/on a "tired" blue mountain bike.  A tall can of some kind of beer was very upright in the middle of the path.  The guys eyes wouldn't focus and they were wild.  He was blasted.  I asked him if he'd hit his head and he didn't know.  He got back on the bike and fell again.  Repeat process x 4 in fast succession. 

I was fearing for his life... then his (sober) buddy emerged from the bushes and asked me to go to the police station and ask them to come get his friend and put him in jail.  He told me the guy was going to be put in jail tomorrow morning anyway for some minor infraction of the law. He told me the guy had consumed at least three cocktails immediately before the beer sitting there on the trail and then said "Tell the cops it isn't Darrel" (likely that was him).  So, off Miz Tweety flies on Bianca Bacchetta, her trusty Aero, to the Tigard Police Dept. about three blocks away - they knew immediately who I was talking about, thanked me and then headed down the bike trail.  I continued on my bike ride; went to REI and bought chemical hand/foot warmers (big sale) for more winter rides to come!  Then rode to the local brew pub and had a small glass of Terminator Stout, a great burger, a pile of fries and toodled on home as the sun sank in the sky. 

31.59 miles.  I feel like I did a full century!  I guess I am not doing the 70 mile brevet with 3,300 feet of climbing tomorrow, afterall.  I won't even feel a little bit guilty for being a no-show.  Today proved I wasn't ready for it.  But I CAN ride!  

And that's where my Bacchetta took me today - back on the road again after a long and worrisome two month absence.  Yeeeee-Hawwwww!!!!

TJ
post edited by BirdieMama - 2007/11/23 20:12:45

"It's a beautiful day for a ride;
you know you wanna come along!
It's a beautiful day outside;
the air will do you good!"

The Jellydots

TEAM BACCHETTA
JLauer
  • Total Posts : 206
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/23 20:51:12 (permalink)
It's good to see you back on the road Marilyn.  You had a great first ride back and helped out the unfortunate at the same time.

I had a good ride today also but didn't get the stout to go with it.  I think I have an Octoberfest in the shop fridge.  I'll be heading there next.

By the way, you have great taste in beer.

JL

John Lauer
Elk Grove, Ca
"06" Ti-Aero
nomo4me
  • Total Posts : 171
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/23 21:25:23 (permalink)
My Giro 20 took me to.................  a greater appreciation and pleasure in riding my DF :-)

I got the Giro about a week ago and have ridden it exclusively since.  But I don't want to loose my "DF Muscles" so took it out for a canyon climb late today, doing the last half of the ride with the Dinotte LED's going front and rear.  Temps were around 35 degrees and a good bit colder than that in the canyon.   I was in full cold weather gear including balaclava and heavy gloves.  No matter, the gear all fits and it's awesome to be riding at this time of year, when most riders around here have packed it up for the winter.

When I first mounted up I felt like I was on stilts, but then I felt a sensation of strength in my legs and I knew I was going to have a lot of power today.   My DF is modded out with all the DA bits and is buttery smooth and silent down the road.  The ride was fantastic and it felt great to be pedaling in circles again, to feel my quads being worked hard 'cause I'm going to be needing them for the ski season.

I had thought that I might completely loose interest in riding my DF, but now I can see that riding bents will increase the pleasure I get from DF riding and visa versa.   

PS:  I actually did ride the Giro 20 this morning: I put the leash on our 9 month old Aussie pup and rode up to the High School and ran the p!ss and vinegar out of her.  She loves it, and I get lots of looooong looks leading her through the neighborhood :-)

Mike
post edited by nomo4me - 2007/11/23 22:30:53
Scorpio
  • Total Posts : 1469
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/24 01:47:31 (permalink)
Day after Thanksgiving:  http://www.bacchettabikes.com/forum2/tm.asp?m=29579
post edited by Scorpio - 2007/11/25 13:47:14

Javid (pronounced "David") Bradley
Carbon Aero 2.0
Ti Aero
RUSA #7172

Team RAAM Sarcoma Powered by Bacchetta Bike

www.TeamRavenLunatics.com

"My Drinking Team Has A Racing Problem"
csiga papa
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/24 02:31:28 (permalink)
Waltzking,

I made the terrible decision to enter your photo gallery :-) I spent half an hour there. This is one of the things I love on the net: Watchig non-professional, non-artistic photos from far countries. Continue this!

Thanks!

wkrider
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/24 09:37:19 (permalink)
Sorry for this delayed entry...mine took me on the Tour De Tucson.  81 miles in 05:23, had a great time.  Saw one other Bacchetta, a Giro 20.

Here is a link to some pics: http://wkrider.smugmug.com/gallery/3879644#224856007

post edited by wkrider - 2007/11/24 09:43:46

2007 Strada
http://wkrider.smugmug.com/

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride". ~John F. Kennedy
WedgieFree
  • Total Posts : 391
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/24 12:29:05 (permalink)
My ride yesterday was no where near as inspiring as Tweety's. This year two of us did the second anual "Turkey Burn Off."
It is a local route I cam up with last year. About 36 miles and +2,700 fett of climbing. We did not set any records, took our sweet time and plodded along. Both Jim and I had been off the bikes for a month. He was traveling and I renovated our first floor bath.

From yesterday on motionbased;

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=4496303

With 3 200Ks and the DV 200 in about 90 days;

Cycling season starts...

NOW!

Scott

('04)Bacchetta

In the Baltimore Washington DC Metro Area?
Join us at: http://www.beeweebents.com

Opening 9-5-2008

Bentdoctor.com
Roy_Dude
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/24 21:32:42 (permalink)
My garage and the bike stand.
Windy, rain and cold leaving this day for others that really have to be outside. There are far to many good days to ride a bike, not today.
Gave me a good opportunity to fiddle with a small wind deflector I'm working on. Clean and lube the chain, and generally look after my steed.
Darn neat bike I'll tell ya.

Roy_Dude
First Bent
Bacchetta Carbon Aero 0031-Shiny
Litespeed Ultimate 20329-Dusty
Litespeed Tachyon 3184-Very Dusty
Tennessee/Alabama Hills
jeffssmith1
  • Total Posts : 891
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/25 14:35:46 (permalink)
A 31 mile ride concluded with a pint--sounds like a nice way to spend a day, Marilyn.

The Tour De Tucson sounds pretty nice too--it looks warm there in the photos. We've had a cold spell here this week, and unfortunately, my Corsa is in the garage today.

Jeff Smith
2006 Corsa - Colorado
blueridge
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/25 23:55:46 (permalink)
Saturday it took me out for some errands and some practice fixing a pinch flat. I ALWAYS top my tires off before I ride. Today I say to myself, "Self why do you always put air in your tires before you ride? That's silly. What could happen?" Well, what happens is you hit a broken piece of concrete in the road and pinch flat your tube. That's not so bad. You just fix it and go on. Well you have a new tube right? Sure. I put the tube in and proceed to break off the valve stem because it's probably a cheap tube and I have a cheap hand pump. O.K. now I have to patch the tube. No problem, I have some of those snappy Park Tool quicky patches. Maybe they work on a puncture, but on a pinch flat that has two parallel slits, no dice. O.K. so I have taken the wheel off and put it back on two, maybe three times now. At least I have a REAL patch kit so I do what I know works, I rough up the tube, put the glue on, wait 5 minutes (okay 3 minutes) and press the rubber patch on. I mount the tire, pump it up with my hand pump, being careful not to break the valve this time, and I'm on my way. It's a beautiful day and instead of heading to my original destination, Bent Up Cycles, I head back to the Honda dealership to pick up my wife's car that I dropped off for an oil change. Normally this kind of thing would ruin my day. But today I take stock. I reflect. I have a birthday coming up so I convince the wife and daughter to take me to REI today and get me a decent pump and a new quality tube. No more cheap pumps or cheap tubes. The good news is that my wife and daughter got distracted later in the day and I got to do another "errand" run to the store to pick up 10 lbs. of bird seed. I still got in 30 or so miles. It's all good. I can't wait 'til next Saturday. My car is due for an oil change. Maybe I pick up a goathead thorn and get to use my new birthday present!!

P.S. Glad you are feeling better BirdieMama. And thanks for reviving this thread.
post edited by blueridge - 2007/11/26 00:14:15
Crit Rider
  • Total Posts : 1869
Tour de Tucson 2007/11/26 01:08:02 (permalink)
Thanks for the pics wkrider.  Really want to do this event one of these years. Gott con my bro into driving over from Santa Fe. Now I know that I'll need MTB shoes and Frogs for the wash. How long is that thing? I wonder what a circus it is when the front group hits it. How many miles into the ride is it? The roads look great, and they block traffic?!
BirdieMama
  • Total Posts : 2544
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/26 09:13:28 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: blueridge

...... The good news is that my wife and daughter got distracted later in the day and I got to do another "errand" run to the store to pick up 10 lbs. of bird seed. I still got in 30 or so miles. It's all good. I can't wait 'til next Saturday. My car is due for an oil change. Maybe I pick up a goathead thorn and get to use my new birthday present!!

P.S. Glad you are feeling better BirdieMama. And thanks for reviving this thread.

Thanks, David!  Wow...reading your post I was afraid I was going to read about you having to walk 10 miles home - so glad you were able to fix that flat.  I hope you get a great new pump - I highly recommend the Topeak Road Morph - the new one's got a great easy to read gauge on it (super for over age 40 eyes, but I'm only 29!) and will go up to ??? 175 lbs, I believe...way more than I need. 

Have to ask about the bird seed purchase you mentioned, since I've got the handle of "BirdieMama"... what kind of birds do you have?  I have a Goffin's Cockatoo, some old AARP card-carrying canaries (I used to raise canaries) and a few old Bengies (Bengalese/Society finches).  They are a sweet little flock and Doogie, my goofy Goffin's keeps me entertained regularly with his antics.  He's not as good as his "cousin", Snowball, but he does dance almost as well. 
http://birdloversonly.blogspot.com/2007/09/may-i-have-this-dance.html

TJ "SO happy to be rolling once again (and hardly coughing any more!)!"

"It's a beautiful day for a ride;
you know you wanna come along!
It's a beautiful day outside;
the air will do you good!"

The Jellydots

TEAM BACCHETTA
Ike1
  • Total Posts : 809
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/26 10:24:22 (permalink)
Today my beloved Strada is taking me on my last ride for the next six months.  It will be just a 30-miler over some of my favorite local roads.  It's in the 50s, so not too cold, but is raining slightly so will have to take it easy.  But maybe that is all the better as I want to just enjoy this one as much as possible and look at the local scenery.  It's great this time of year as the trees are just losing their leaves.
Some of you already know I'm a military guy.  I leave for Baghdad this weekend for a 6-month deployment.  I will return mid-June of next year.  Guess I will have to go back to running to keep from going to fat - god I hate running.
Maybe the wife will let me spend some of the money we save by not feeding me for the next six months on a new Carbon Aero... do they come in large yet?

Jim Iken

2012 700c Carbon Aero 2.0
1989 Klein Team Super (now just garage hanging art)

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it... if you live."
- Mark Twain
Drifty Baker
  • Total Posts : 60
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/26 10:47:06 (permalink)
Thanks for your service Jim.

Hope you have a safe deployment and return to your family on time so you can once again enjoy the local scenery riding your Strada.

blueridge
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/26 11:22:19 (permalink)
Ike1,

My thanks to you too Jim for your service.  God bless you and your family.

BirdieMama,

I've always wondered what the BirdieMama Moniker meant.  Now I know.  Sorry, my birds are of the wild variety.  I was picking up Nyjer seed for the wild finches in the yard.  I have the most beautiful yellow and red finches and tons of Kamikazi humming birds.  I got the Topeak Road Morph G pump.  I used it last night to top off the flat to give it a try.  It is much better than what I had.  I'm not sure I'm crazy about the handle.  It kept collapsing in my hand.  I'll have to see if I missed a lock on it or something.  I didn't have much trouble getting the tire up to 120 psi.  It sure is nice to have a gauge on the pump.  I never knew how much pressure I was getting with the old pump.

David
post edited by blueridge - 2007/11/26 11:27:23
Koyak
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/26 11:47:07 (permalink)
Thank you for your dedication and service to this great country of ours! 

Mike

Bacchetta Giro 26
HP Velotechnik Grasshopper

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells
jeffssmith1
  • Total Posts : 891
RE: Where did your Bacchetta take you today? 2007/11/26 17:08:52 (permalink)
All the best to you, Jim!

Jeff Smith
2006 Corsa - Colorado
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 53
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1