Pronunciation of the name "Bacchetta"

Author
fluxx
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points: 0
2012/06/27 04:36:51 (permalink)

Pronunciation of the name "Bacchetta"

How do you pronounce the name "Bacchetta" in America?

Like the Italians? ---> http://dict.leo.org/itde?...e&search=bacchetta (there is a mediafile in the link)

Thank you,

Thomas.

14 Replies Related Threads

fluxx
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:Pronunciation of the name "Bacchetta" 2012/06/27 04:45:27 (permalink)
    Ok, I think, that I found an answer:

http://bacchettabikes.com/support/faqs.php#faq7

It looks like the non-italian way is the used one ...

Thomas.
    rex
    • Total Posts : 182
    What is in a name 2012/06/27 06:29:51 (permalink)
    When I first saw the word in written form I assumed it referred to the cleaning rod or ram rod of a rifle as this is also a common use for the word. 

I though it was a great name for a bike. I had images of the bike being so fast (they do look fast) that it was like being shot out of a cannon. 

Since Bacchetta is iconic of what we call a "stick" bike, the name is very appropriate.

As to pronunciation, I prefer the "Americanized" version, that way I know they are referring to the bike. Plus it sounds good. 
    post edited by rex - 2012/06/27 06:31:09
    bobkny
    • Total Posts : 148
    Re:What is in a name 2012/06/27 08:50:49 (permalink)
    Interesting. When I first tried to find something about the name Bacchetta, the only thing that I could come up with was a nick name for some kind of small row boat. I like your definition much better - small row boat doesn't exactly describe the CA2
    rex

When I first saw the word in written form I assumed it referred to the cleaning rod or ram rod of a rifle as this is also a common use for the word. 

I though it was a great name for a bike. I had images of the bike being so fast (they do look fast) that it was like being shot out of a cannon. 

Since Bacchetta is iconic of what we call a "stick" bike, the name is very appropriate.

As to pronunciation, I prefer the "Americanized" version, that way I know they are referring to the bike. Plus it sounds good. 

JoelB
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:What is in a name 2012/06/27 16:03:21 (permalink)
    My wife would say that I'm being overly fussy about this (and she'd be right), but I prefer the Italian pronunciation.  As an example, I'm not aware of anyone pronouncing "Pinocchio" as PIN-OSH-I-O, but I've been living in New England for the last 15 years, the rest of the country may be doing things differently...my two cents' worth, anyway...

Joel

Giro 20 ATT
    Catrike Road
    Mongoose Hybrid Commuter Beast
    timturner
    • Total Posts : 1377
    Re:What is in a name 2012/06/27 22:03:37 (permalink)
    baketta
    I rode with an old italian cyclist.  i just can't bring myself to say bruschetta.
    :-)

T
    chuckgreenwood
    • Total Posts : 102
    Re:Pronunciation of the name "Bacchetta" 2012/06/27 23:52:29 (permalink)
    Rush (the band) got it wrong in "Red Barchetta" too.  ( barchetta is a small boat, and a nickname for small sporty cars ) No worries.
    rex
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:What is in a name 2012/06/28 08:14:47 (permalink)
    bobkny

Interesting. When I first tried to find something about the name Bacchetta, the only thing that I could come up with was a nick name for some kind of small row boat. I like your definition much better - small row boat doesn't exactly describe the CA2

I didn't get this at first then I saw chuckgreenwood's post. You mean Barcchetta.
    I.M.Bent
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re:Pronunciation of the name "Bacchetta" 2012/06/28 10:21:36 (permalink)
    Being a linguist, I prefer to adhere to the proper pronunciation. If I lived in Spain or France, I would probably be shunned for not  adhering to the rules of those respective languages. Even worse, if I were to take foreign nouns or verbs and convert them to those languages. I said convert, not translate. I tease my many Mexican and Centralamerican clients for doing the same and "perverting" their idiom. Examples are: truck= troca, or brakes= brecas. This would never do over on the continent.

On the other hand, if we adhered to the original pronunciations here in the US, then one sentence could potentially have French, German and English words all requiring their proper respective pronunciations. Having studied many languages over the years, I am thankful to be a native English speaker. If not, I don't know how one could master a language which has one word with three different spellings and three different meanings.

I am happy that Bacchetta has that name, as it honors, to a small degree, the origins of fine cycles and competitive cycling, even though the bacchette (that's plural for "stick", by the way) come from Taiwan.

I.M.Bent
    Challenge Seiran SL, Xstream, Meta Physic 700c, Ti-aero,  Apache, Giro 700c, daughter's, Corsa, wife's, M5 Tandem, ours,
    Scott Speedster S
    timturner
    • Total Posts : 1377
    Re:Pronunciation of the name "Bacchetta" 2012/06/28 18:21:51 (permalink)
    I.M.Bent

If not, I don't know how one could master a language which has one word with three different spellings and three different meanings.

My family is Scottish... If the word is spelled different, it IS NOT PRONOUNCED THE SAME. Period. It actually makes sense. can't tell you how many times adults told me when I young to "sound it out"
    I did, I came up with:
    "Laf" not Laugh.
    sisors not scissors
    mery not marry, merry, or Mary (yes the Scottish pronounce all of those differently. It's actually the 'source' of their accent)
    It's amazing, living on the west coast, how lazy we are with pronunciation. And we believe we are the 'neutral' English speakers.  Can't imagine how anyone could learn this language living here.

T

john riley
    • Total Posts : 354
    Re:Pronunciation of the name "Bacchetta" 2012/06/29 06:45:38 (permalink)
    timturner
    It's amazing, living on the west coast, how lazy we are with pronunciation. And we believe we are the 'neutral' English speakers.  Can't imagine how anyone could learn this language living here.

I think it is the language, not our pronunciation. I watched part of an old movie called (IIRC) _Anything Can Happen_. Two immigrants work out the pronunciation of a word: rough is ruff, tough is tuff, dough must be duff.
    john riley
    • Total Posts : 354
    Re:Pronunciation of the name "Bacchetta" 2012/06/29 06:50:10 (permalink)
    I.M.Bent

Being a linguist, I prefer to adhere to the proper pronunciation. If I lived in Spain or France, I would probably be shunned for not  adhering to the rules of those respective languages. Even worse, if I were to take foreign nouns or verbs and convert them to those languages. I said convert, not translate. ...

Even the French make exceptions, "le weekend" "piqnique" (picnic) 
    JoelB
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:Pronunciation of the name "Bacchetta" 2012/06/29 09:27:07 (permalink)
    In the same vein:  watch the Tour de France TV coverage starting tomorrow, and listen to the contrast between how Phil Liggett famously mauls many foreign riders' names and Paul Sherwen's much more accurate pronunciations (at least for the French, Dutch/Flemish and Italian ones).  Bob Roll seems to have created rules of his own...

Joel

Giro 20 ATT
    Catrike Road
    Mongoose Hybrid Commuter Beast
    rollingbuzzy
    • Total Posts : 1525
    Re:Pronunciation of the name "Bacchetta" 2012/06/29 10:36:44 (permalink)
    JoelB Bob Roll seems to have created rules of his own...

Very funny. I especially liked Bob's protest to a clothing sponsor's idea to give one (1) each, a shirt for Bob , Phil, and Paul to wear every day, for three (3) weeks. Bob got tired of washing it every day, so he started to wear it inside out. Unwashed and badly wrinkled.
    andysinak
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:Pronunciation of the name "Bacchetta" 2012/06/29 15:38:22 (permalink)
    Viva La Bobke!
    Long Live Tour Day France
    and Bashetta
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1