Hot!speedometer/computer recommendations?

Author
chrome bandit
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points: 0
2012/06/03 21:21:33 (permalink)

speedometer/computer recommendations?

Just tried to mount a reused Topeak speedometer to my new Giro 26, the wire comes up short, and I can see already that this entry level unit isn't going to do it for me. Any recommendations on units with long enough wires, or wireless with a good reliability level? Will be used mostly for commuting and day rides, no need for split time tracking, measuring tenths of a second, or helping me parallel park.

Thanks for any insight!

11 Replies Related Threads

pathrider
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: speedometer/computer recommendations? 2012/06/03 21:47:33 (permalink)
    Long wire computer: I use the Planet Bike Protege 8.0 computer ( http://ecom1.planetbike.com/8001.html ) and the Protege Rear Wheel bracket (http://ecom1.planetbike.com/8000_2.html ) on my Giro. The rear wheel pickup wire is long enough to use on recumbents.

Tim
    johnheiam
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: speedometer/computer recommendations? 2012/06/03 22:14:54 (permalink)
    I went with a Cateye wireless unit on my Giro 26 ATT, and it works great.  If you mount the sensor near the top of the fork you should be able to position the unit within 27" of the computer.  One word of warning, the computer cannot be mounted totally vertical or the internal antenna will not work.  I am using the Cateye City Tour, but a Strada should also work.
    I.M.Bent
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: speedometer/computer recommendations? 2012/06/03 22:57:39 (permalink)
    I have extended many sensor wires. That way you can run the sensor to the rear to keep the fork uncluttered.

Neal

I.M.Bent
    Challenge Seiran SL, Xstream, Meta Physic 700c, Ti-aero,  Apache, Giro 700c, daughter's, Corsa, wife's, M5 Tandem, ours,
    Scott Speedster S
    jkeenan7
    • Total Posts : 1883
    RE: speedometer/computer recommendations? 2012/06/04 05:22:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: johnheiam

I went with a Cateye wireless unit on my Giro 26 ATT, and it works great.  If you mount the sensor near the top of the fork you should be able to position the unit within 27" of the computer.  One word of warning, the computer cannot be mounted totally vertical or the internal antenna will not work.  I am using the Cateye City Tour, but a Strada should also work.

+1 I have a Cateye wireless on all my bents and had one on my mtb. You've got to find the sweet spot for pickup, but I've had nary a problem in sheesh 5 years.

'16 Carbon Basso GS
    '06 Bike Friday NWT
    '99 VRexAchetta (Stolen and Born Again)
    '08 Bike Friday Tandem
    '13  Mukluk3 
    SOLD:'05 Aero Basso '06 Ti Aero '05 Corsa '11 29er MTB  Bike Friday SAT R DAY  '07 Giro 20 '03 Strada

gregraven
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: speedometer/computer recommendations? 2012/06/04 09:16:56 (permalink)
    I went with the Garmin Edge 500 and have never regretted it. I use the separate ANT+ heart rate monitor, cadence sensor, and speed sensor from Bontrager, and it all works perfectly. For my purposes, the Garmin Connect website is better than MapMyRide, Strava, RideWithGPS, etc., too, which is a factor in my overall satisfaction, although you can use the Garmin files with these other services too, if you wish.
    bobkny
    • Total Posts : 148
    RE: speedometer/computer recommendations? 2012/06/04 09:43:39 (permalink)
    My $.02: Over the years I've used most brands and designs of bike computers. For wired computers, I've found that the Cateye's are the most reliable, and some models either come with extra long wire harness, or it is available as an option. But after all of my years of riding, I started using a Garmin Edge 305 GPS wireless; and that has become my favorite bike computer. No wires, set up, wheel measurement - just pop it on your bike and go. Since it uses GPS to measure speed, and has a built in altimeter, as well as optional cadence and speed sensors for indoor riding as well as an optional HR strap if you care about heart rate, I can use it on virtually any bike and measure and record almost all the data about my ride for download to my PC. In addition, if you are getting on in years like me, and are having more difficulty seeing small objects close up, the Garmin allows you to define multiple screens with as few as one item to display on each screen. I set mine up to show basic speed, time, and distance on my main screen, and then all the miscellaneous datum on the second. That way, I can always read the key facts, and then toggle to the other bits, when I have my reading glasses on. Garmin does it right!
    landspeeder
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: speedometer/computer recommendations? 2012/06/05 02:01:45 (permalink)
    Chrome -

Gotta say that I love my Cateye "Commuter" wireless setup. You'll need to put the transmitter on the leading edge of the left fork, but that being done, you enable the most golden of all sweet spots for the computer - high on the stem right behind the handlebar. This puts it in perfect reach while seated, and causes no drag penalty to your ride - which can be important for aero freaks like me ( https://picasaweb.google.com/landspeeder.pilot/TiAeroPics?authkey=Gv1sRgCMWryp-QgYqxZA# )

The computer's layout and function are very well thought out - as long as you don't require cadence (which I don't). Setup is a bit lengthy, but just follow the directions and when you're done you just touch the entire computer unit to cycle thru screens - no tiny buttons to fiddle with/swear at.

http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CC-COM10W-Commuter-Wireless-Computer/dp/B003BC9PHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338875559&sr=8-1

Later!

Landspeeder
    Ti Aero S/N RB137
    madlerco
    • Total Posts : 242
    RE: speedometer/computer recommendations? 2012/06/05 12:27:39 (permalink)
    Landspeeder,

Nice setup. I like how the headlights are mounted. When the lights are on, do they interfer with the wireless computer?

I just mounted the Sigma 1909 with cadence and found if I have my Magic Shine light on, I don't get a speed readout. HR and cadence work fine though. Once I turn the light off, I get speed. Since your lights don't use an external battery unit, I suspect my battery cable and/or battery is unshielded.

Mark
    Corsa 24 Converted to 650
    Performance Bike, Classic Engine
    landspeeder
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: speedometer/computer recommendations? 2012/06/05 20:15:13 (permalink)
    Hey Mad -

I've had no interference issues between computer and lights - lights run on 3 AAA's each.

Landspeeder
    Ti Aero S/N RB137
    chrome bandit
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: speedometer/computer recommendations? 2012/06/06 01:24:23 (permalink)
    First things first...Landspeeder...that's a bitchin' bike. It looks fast standing still. Wow. The only thing missing is a radar detector. I also like the technique of mounting forward on the left fork to optimize the angle, so I can mount nicely on the handlebars. Thanks for sharing pix.

And thanks everyone for chiming in with your experience. Very helpful.

My takeaways...
    • Cateye wireless has range for the front wheel to handlebars.
    • Extending wire for a cyclo-computer requires tribal knowledge and a soldering iron. I have neither.
    • Some, not all, manufacturers have cable harnesses for rear wheel assembly, which is a nice complement for stationary riding on, say, a trainer in winter. Need to do more research to determine who else besides PlanetBike does this, but I'm done for now.
    • I hear the siren call of the Garmins, not ready to invest heavily here yet. I already have multiple GPS for motorcycle and car.

I picked up a Cateye commuter tonight from REI...they are on sale right now. Also on sale from PerformanceBikes too if any lurkers are in market. Let's call it good as an early Daddy-o present.

Thanks gang!
    hvacgaspiping
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: RE: speedometer/computer recommendations? 2022/03/19 17:13:52 (permalink)
    I`ve not had good luck with wireless computers.  The only one which would work with the sensor on the rear wheel of my Bacchetta Ti Aero was a Bontrager Node 1 (can`t get support for that old thing anymore).  So I decided to go to a wired computer, but nobody I could find makes one with a wire long enough to reach the rear wheel.  I ended up getting the Cateye Velo 7, knowing full well I would have to extend the wire, and I did.  It works perfectly, the computer was easy to set up and it reads all of the data I would want it to.  But I just had to let Cateye know what I thought about it, and wrote them a message (not that they will care anyway), so here it is:
    Let me say first that I like the computer I just purchased, and it was easy to set up and use. I knew before I bought it that the wire wouldn`t be long enough to reach the rear wheel of my recumbent bicycle. However, I was prepared to put an extension wire into this setup. I`m skilled with wiring and related subjects, so it was not a big deal. Now I have the ability to use this new computer on the bike while it is attached to a trainer inside the house when the weather is bad. What irks me is why you left out a pretty fair sized segment of the bicycling community who rides recumbents, and those who would want the ability to use your product on an indoor trainer with it monitoring the rear wheel. This also includes upright bicyclists who would also want the sensor to work on the rear wheel. More people ride recumbents than you apparently realize, and that include trikes which would need the same upgrade of a longer pickup wire. As a matter of fact, one of the biggest bicycle event in the country, the Hotter N Hell Hundred is led off by recumbent riders because they are the mostly the faster and more enduring of long distance riders. I`m talking about a 100 mile ride in Wichita Falls, Texas on the last weekend of August where the temperature is nearly guaranteed to top 100* as well. That ride usually has over 25,000 total riders in it, probably 3000 of which are recumbent riders. So, how much trouble would it be to include a unit with a wire probably a total of 6 or 7 feet long, instead of the current 30 inch long wire? Any extra wire could be cinched up with a few extra zip ties, kept out of the way and still look decent. More importantly, you would gain more customers when they would realize it would work for them as well.
    Jump to:
    © 2022 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1