Helpful ReplyCrit Riding Reports

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 15
Author
Crit Rider
  • Total Posts : 1875
  • Reward points: 0
2006/04/13 23:40:46 (permalink)

Crit Riding Reports

The first of anything in the DF bike racing season is a likely venue for a crash or 2. The first local RR, the first big group ride, especially the first crit. For this reason many choose to forgo the first of anything, and ride the second one. And so it was that I arrived tonight for the second Camarillo training crit of the season. There were about 75 riders, tripling the first nights turnout I heard. See, I am not the only one. A few welcomed me back. There were a bunch of guys new to this event, and fast ones. They were shaking there heads when they saw me. "Is he serious?" The first 10 laps were traditionally easy. The prime for all riders without the numbers 1, 2, or 3 on thier licenses (and by implication the lunatic on the recumbent) happens with 40 to go. John Wordin goes to the front on the TT bike and pulls for about 5 laps at ~26. Then the attacking starts. JW seems content to just pull, no accelerations for him. One guy, probably a newbie, bitches at me for not pulling near the front. I have no clue why. I am moving to the front for the prime with 30 to go, I get fifth, but I keep going with the power at about 350w and get a gap. And I keep going. This is the first time I have actually looked at my power output and used it to pace myself. I seem to average about 300W but I soft pedal the corner entries and go to 350 on the exits by habit. I'll need to get more stable out there. The next prime is at 20 to go. I stay in the clear until the bell lap, were a couple bridge to me at the line. I had seen them coming and kept it under 320W so that I'd be ready. Once they catch me, they all look at each other hoping somebody else will lead out the sprint. Fine! I go to 500W and do a slow death for the lap crossing the line at about 375W, in first. Thought you caught me, eh? I burned a match, so I back off for a bit. 17 to go, I tow another guy up to a break of 3, we have 5 and I am sitting on the back waiting for the counter to come. Sho 'nuf, we get caught. I hesitate and a get boxed. A lap later i go again, solo. Whadya know? There is a solo Camarillo bike Company guy up about 12s. It takes 2 laps at 330W to get him! He strong! I catch, I sit for a lap, then start working with him. He is super smooth, perfect! There are a bunch of obnoxious guys (3s?) in that club, but this guy is fine by me. 13 to go. We are going well together, surely enough to nab the next prime, maybe more. 12 to go. We come around corner one, time for me to pull my half of the lap again. just as I put my toes in the wind, #%Y%*&^&*$$^#%#&*(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 30 guys are stopped across the whole 40 foot lane, and 4 are on the ground. We both shut it down and carefully ride by. JW catches us and fiegns an attack. I say to him,"Dude, you're not serious are you?" He ain't. We joke about picking the right time to go up the road. They are still down next time around, with way too many now stopped to "help". Ambulance, Police, Fire Truck...... I think everbody declined medical service, and the police did not ask any questions about why there were 75 guys on $4K bikes all in the same industrial park at 6:45 on a Thurday night.

First one of those anybody has seen in a few years it turns out. Lets hope its the end of that for the season.

Man, with 14 less pounds, and eye on the powermeter, and some nice new shoes, I am gonna spend a lot of time off the front this year season.

Can't wait to try the carbon frame here.

Again I extend my yearly invitation to anybody who want to join me. I'll show you the ropes if you need. Tom Am., a local HPV racer usually joins on his DF, but not tonight.

On the way out one of the guys says to me,"Hey speedy." Cool.
post edited by Crit Rider - 2006/06/14 13:59:19
Crit Rider
RE: Crit Riding Season is upon us!! 2006/04/14 00:17:07 (permalink)
You know, if I can get JD to set me up with a boom and camera, it might be really entertaining!!
Damn expensive if I biff it though. :-(
wahoodoggydoo
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: Crit Riding Season is upon us!! 2006/04/14 00:37:09 (permalink)
JV,

You, JS, and the rest of Team Bacchetta keep those race reports coming! Very cool reading for us inspired 'weekend warriors'!

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

JFG
markw
  • Total Posts : 511
RE: Crit Riding Season is upon us!! 2006/04/14 03:22:16 (permalink)
I may be able to get ahold of a quality bullet camera. You'd have to run a camcorder in your brain bag. I doubt that would slow you down too much.

Mark
rcpinto@aol.com
  • Total Posts : 1386
RE: Crit Riding Season is upon us!! 2006/04/15 08:19:30 (permalink)
JV,

You, JS, and the rest of Team Bacchetta keep those race reports coming! Very cool reading for us inspired 'weekend warriors'!

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

JFG

Ditto!! Great report JV...14 lbs less?? You're pulling all the hills at RAO!!

Rich
jkeenan7
  • Total Posts : 1882
RE: Crit Riding Season is upon us!! 2006/04/15 11:21:41 (permalink)
I love cycling vicariously. Neat report. Sorry about the carnage and hope no one was seriously injured.

Good luck with the rest of the season.... keep the reports coming....

Cheers

Slo Joe
john c
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Crit Riding Season is upon us!! 2006/04/15 16:36:22 (permalink)
Ditto!! Great report JV...14 lbs less?? You're pulling all the hills at RAO!!

Rich

Are there lots of hills at RAO (Race across Oregon)? LOL!!!

JC
Crit Rider
Tired tonight. 2006/04/21 00:04:38 (permalink)
Having a beer to calm down from the adreneline, but fried at the same time. I hope I can sleep.

About 50 guys tonight. I say guys, but we get 5-10 women too on a good night. I get there just in time for the start. The first 10 laps are easy, but I need a better warm up. Next time I'll get out of work earlier. I run into Ashton during the easy laps, and ex cat1 trackie who is part owner of the local pro shop. I used to do a weeknight ride out of his shop on Tuesdays. he knows my story. We gab away for 6 laps or so. Its cool. We have not even been looking at the laps when suddenly we are doing 25 or so. I ask if he noticed the lap count, no. I say it looks like we are riding now. He jokingly says, "Its all you". I say, "It kind of is, but where is Wordin?" He's a no show its turns out. I take off at about 320W with 39 to go and get a good gap then back it down to about 240W. I need more warm up. no one seems in the mood to chase though. Finally one guy on a Giant bridges solo at maybe 33 to go. We trade pulls. Strong one. Coming into the prime I get playful, forcing him to pull, I come through about 500m out, too soon really. I make a show or it though, up to about 33, weaving a bit to shake him. I gap him a bit at fist but he closes and pops me at the line. Smart one too. I attack him a lap after the prime. He blows, or so its seems. I ride solo at threshold, and take the prime at 20 to go. I start to fade a bit with 18 to go. With 16 to go I finally see the train coming, about 10 strong. I back it down a bit in preparation. At 14 to go we cross the line and they catch me. The front guy grunts, "Got him". He will pay for his insolence. We are all together for about 2 laps, but I take a hard pull and so does my old buddy on the Giant. And then there were 3. 3rd guy is an Amgen teammate, but I don't know him. At 12 to go Giant dude attacks with his eyes on the prime. I let teamate take a pull then go to 550W for a lap. I catch the Gaint dude in the last corner. He goes a hair wide expecting me to come under him. I go outside not knowing if he has something left. He is surprised but neither of 'em can get to me before the line. So the dude and I are even now. We get back together again as I am a bit fried. The field is closing too. Its a 3 for all. Um, yeah, until about 5 to go. Giant dude can't seem to pull through at anything over 26 anymore, first time he does that I go to 28 and pull half a lap, he has to close a gap but he does it. 4 to go, he does it again. Now I am starting to think, what is he saving up for? He is way too smooth to be blown for real. I got to 29 for half a lap, he has to close it again, but he does. 3 to go he does it again so I go to 30 for half a lap. I am not really attacking them as they have more jump than I do, but I want us to stay away, and I want the dude to chase a bit. My temate has been playing this perfectly the whole time, always forcing the dude to close the gap to me. 2.5 to go, dude attacks hard. I knew it! But we are 1 and 1 in this little game, and now he has played his card early, a mistake in our previous duels. 2 to go and he's got 5s on us. Teammate says to me, "I'll help if I can". In retrospect, he should have yelled at me to go get him. I go to 350W till 1 to go, then twitch for teammate to come through. He does not but just says,"GO!!" He is a teammate. I will deliver him if I can. I go to 400W and am closing on the dude, but he has not blown yet. I am in some serious pain. Coming around the last turn I am loosing motor control of my legs. I get us to 200m, still closing. Now dead, teammate hits the gas with everthing he's got. I gasp at him on his way by, "Get 'im!!!!" He is accelerating! Dude is having leg lock too. Teammate gets half way around him at the line. Close, but no cigar. Next time I will get my teammate closer. We could have got him if I had just kept the hammer down for the last 2.

So, 1st and 1st and 2nd for the contested primes, 3rd at the line, and I am fried. The 3 of us exchange pats on the back for a game well played and a lot of shared suffering. I talk to the dude. "I new you were too smooth to be fried!" He grins, big,"Nice ride" he says. "So whats your threshold, 400w?!" "I have not had the meter on in a few weeks, but yeah, right around there." Holy cow!!! And he is definetely lighter'n me!! And smart. We chat a bit. Turns out he is an active pro. That fits. Strong and smart. It was a fun and hard game tonight.

Several people congradulate me while cooling down. I spent the most time off the front of anyone today. But, dude rode the smartest race. I got my threshold riding in. I am defintely riding at a higher level this year at the crits. Why? 1 Powermeter to help me guage my solo effort and give me confidence, and better control my training. 2 lighter, 188.6 fully hydrated after the ride tonight. 3 closer position to the pedals, smoother stroke. 4 Nice new shoes.

Time for a small steak and a salad.
post edited by Crit Rider - 2006/04/21 00:07:41
John Schlitter
  • Total Posts : 2536
RE: Tired tonight. 2006/04/21 10:56:49 (permalink)
great ride JV,

Wasco will be fun this year!

js
Aero92
  • Total Posts : 647
RE: Tired tonight. 2006/04/21 18:42:38 (permalink)
Great ride reporting Jimbo! You rock the house
I have no problem hooking you up with a digicam mounted to your helmet if you want to do that. You can mail it back and I'll do the editing. That would be a blast.
I'm glad I borrowed your PowerTap and got it fixed and tuned up. That worked out well for both of us.
The wattage you're pumping out is unreal. That why I don't bother racing. I'm a 125 watt kind of guy and 350 for a few seconds, then I puke. Did I mention that's why I don't bother racing?

How many miles are these crits anyway and how many minutes for a race are we talikng about here?
Cheers,
JD
Crit Rider
RE: Tired tonight. 2006/04/21 23:30:44 (permalink)
The crits are 50 laps, first 10 neutral for fast guys. Primes every 10 laps, but only the last 3 are for fast guys. Course is about 1/2 mile around, so 25 miles. I don't know the total time, but after the first 10 laps the winner will average over 26.5, even on a windy night. On a fast night, more.

How big is the cam, and how long can it record? Can it be bar mounted? Someone is going to get motion sickness from it if I put it on my head. OTOH, how sensitive is it to vibration. Lets talk at the SD races. Mark has an option too.

Give up the week act. Remember Encino last time? I always started like Frank Geyer and get a lap up at last years races. I must have been at 400W or more for the first few laps. It took me 3 to catch you! Been riding the track bike at all?
Crit Rider
Shameless plug 2006/04/21 23:41:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Crit Rider
I am defintely riding at a higher level this year at the crits. Why? 1 Powermeter to help me guage my solo effort and give me confidence, and better control my training. 2 lighter, 188.6 fully hydrated after the ride tonight. 3 closer position to the pedals, smoother stroke. 4 Nice new shoes.

I should also mention that somebody told me that I should be using a powermeter 2 years ago, and told me that I could either up my power (difficult), or drop some weight (not quite as difficult).

http://www.jbvcoaching.com/

It just took a while for it to sink into my thick head, and for JD to get my PT fixed right.
markw
RE: Tired tonight. 2006/04/22 17:10:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Crit Rider

The crits are 50 laps, first 10 neutral for fast guys. Primes every 10 laps, but only the last 3 are for fast guys. Course is about 1/2 mile around, so 25 miles. I don't know the total time, but after the first 10 laps the winner will average over 26.5, even on a windy night. On a fast night, more.

How big is the cam, and how long can it record? Can it be bar mounted? Someone is going to get motion sickness from it if I put it on my head. OTOH, how sensitive is it to vibration. Lets talk at the SD races. Mark has an option too.

Give up the week act. Remember Encino last time? I always started like Frank Geyer and get a lap up at last years races. I must have been at 400W or more for the first few laps. It took me 3 to catch you! Been riding the track bike at all?

Hehe.. You have to translate that stuff. Here's a guide.

Cyclists are the biggest sandbaggers and secret trainers around.
They'll say anything to soften you up for the kill. Don't let this
happen to you. Study this handy rider's phrasebook to find out what
they really mean when they say:

"I'm out of shape"
Translation: I ride 400 miles a week and haven't missed a day since
the Ford administration. I replace my 11-tooth cog more often than
you wash your shorts. My body fat percentage is lower than your
mortgage rate.

"I'm not into competition. I'm just riding to stay in shape"
Translation: I will attack until you collapse in the gutter, babbling
and whimpering. I will win the line sprint if I have to force you into
oncoming traffic. I will crest this hill first if I have to grab your
seat post, and spray energy drink in your eyes.

"I'm on my beater bike"
Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium
blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It
weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

"It's not that hilly"
Translation: This climb lasts longer than a presidential campaign. Be
careful on the steep sections or you'll fall over -- backward. You
have a 39x23 low gear? Here's the name of my knee surgeon.

"You're doing great, honey"
Translation: Yo, lard ass, I'd like to get home before midnight. This
is what you get for spending the winter decorating and eating
chocolate. I shoulda married that cute Cat 1 racer when I had the
chance.

"This is a no-drop ride"
Translation: I'll need an article of your clothing for the
search-and-rescue dogs.

"It's not that far"
Translation: Bring your passport
Crit Rider
Crunch time is the best time to go. 2006/04/28 00:18:06 (permalink)
So I want to do 40 minutes at threshold at these rides. So far that has meant attacking somewhere between 40 and 35 to go, alone. Not possible tonight. First 25 laps were 27-32 mph! I am doing bursts over 600W to stay on the wheel. I got away in some moves, but nothing lasted more than 4 laps or so. Nothing I was in stayed away for the first 2 primes either. 17 to go and all the fast guys are taking steady 30mph pulls. No stalling at the front. Gaps are starting to open and there is no opportuinity for a coming together. The hammer is down. Finally I am in sync with Mark Noble, Nat'l Masters Men 40-44 Cross champ, he is 2 riders in front of me. I was hoping he and I could get away together. Well he gets to the front and takes a 31 mph pull. People are falling apart. The guy in front of me goes next, but not for long. I come through at 31. The guy who was in front of me fills my mirror. Half a lap later at corner 2 I see we have a gap! No Noble. Fine, I have some help, right? Wrong. I twitch, he gets in the wind and goes backwards. I pull him a lap then I drop him. Its 12 to go! 2 laps to a prime! Time to keep the watts over 350 to 400 for a few minutes. I pull it off. I am toast, but look at the gap I have! Almost half the start finish straight. I have to try, right? I try to ride 300W, and do for a bit until all the lactic acid from the prime catches up. After that I am in survival mode just trying to keep the legs going. I have to back off for a bit then get it back to 300+. I do. Once a lap I check the mirror. I pass some shelled groups, one of them impedes me in a corner. 22mph is not good news. Wind it up again. 5 to go, They can only see me on the S/F straight. Out of sight, out of mind? I keep the hammer down. 3 to go. It hurts. But hey, where is the well timed chase dat gonna catch me by the line. I don't see it forming yet. 2 to go. Ouch! must keep power over 300W! 1 to go. Some of my fans have dropped out and are cheering. I keep breathing. Diving in to corner 1, I can just see the front of the bunch exitting corner 2. Thats a gap. Must not crash! Must keep pedalling. Round corner 2 and halfway to the line, an no one in my mirror. I back off, ride to corner 2, make it back to the line in time to catch the field sprint. The bunch was still 35 strong or so, so they did not keep up the mega pulls. That would have caused some seperations. They should have had me if they kept the hammer down, but instead I win by close to 1/2 a lap!

Rule: The best breaks come at crunch time, when the speed has been high, and many riders have been buring matches. Near the end of that, everybody is in pain, and even the gentlest acceleration can get you away. Timing.

More people are talking to me now, and that is self perpetuating. Talked to one guy with back troubles, and you know where that is headed.

Tonight after the finish, a woman rides up to next to me. I don't know here name, but I know her. She has complained vocally about me, within earshot. "Did you win?", she asks. Yes I say, still trying hard to breathe. She congradulates me. We talk a bit, but for less than a lap. She is friendly. Good.

So, last prime and the win. Not a steady threshold night by a long shot.

Had some maltodextrin/protien mix recovery drink ready in the car. I don't want to be wasted all day tomorrow. Job interview.
Crit Rider
RE: Crunch time is the best time to go. 2006/04/28 00:27:00 (permalink)
Almost forgot. I was away solo for the 1st contested prime at 30 to go, but with 3/4 of a lap to go a semi is across the road trying to back in to one of the businesses. I shut it down and wave at the guys chasing me. A couple guys sprinted for it after we all slowed down, but I was toast.
g27md
  • Total Posts : 960
RE: Tired tonight. 2006/04/28 08:08:01 (permalink)
This may be the funniest stuff I've read in years. I laughed and laughed and laughed. I don't know if you wrote it, but, if you did you might consider a career as a comedy writer. Heck, you probably already are which is why you can afford the Bacchetta. I that case, thank for the freebie, and order yourself a Carbon Aero.

Jim

Hehe.. You have to translate that stuff. Here's a guide.

Cyclists are the biggest sandbaggers and secret trainers around.
They'll say anything to soften you up for the kill. Don't let this
happen to you. Study this handy rider's phrasebook to find out what
they really mean when they say:

"I'm out of shape"
Translation: I ride 400 miles a week and haven't missed a day since
the Ford administration. I replace my 11-tooth cog more often than
you wash your shorts. My body fat percentage is lower than your
mortgage rate.

"I'm not into competition. I'm just riding to stay in shape"
Translation: I will attack until you collapse in the gutter, babbling
and whimpering. I will win the line sprint if I have to force you into
oncoming traffic. I will crest this hill first if I have to grab your
seat post, and spray energy drink in your eyes.

"I'm on my beater bike"
Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium
blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It
weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

"It's not that hilly"
Translation: This climb lasts longer than a presidential campaign. Be
careful on the steep sections or you'll fall over -- backward. You
have a 39x23 low gear? Here's the name of my knee surgeon.

"You're doing great, honey"
Translation: Yo, lard ass, I'd like to get home before midnight. This
is what you get for spending the winter decorating and eating
chocolate. I shoulda married that cute Cat 1 racer when I had the
chance.

"This is a no-drop ride"
Translation: I'll need an article of your clothing for the
search-and-rescue dogs.

"It's not that far"
Translation: Bring your passport
rcpinto@aol.com
  • Total Posts : 1386
RE: Tired tonight. 2006/04/28 08:42:19 (permalink)
This may be the funniest stuff I've read in years. I laughed and laughed and laughed. I don't know if you wrote it, but, if you did you might consider a career as a comedy writer. Heck, you probably already are which is why you can afford the Bacchetta. I that case, thank for the freebie, and order yourself a Carbon Aero.

Jim

Agreed! Great stuff Mark, and sure to add to any sandbaggers schtick.

JV, great job at the crit! I'm sure you've got more than a few guys shaking their heads. Any idea where your 20 minute TT wattage is at right now?

Rich
Crit Rider
RE: Tired tonight. 2006/04/28 14:31:19 (permalink)
Right now?? About 260W, and only if you pay me to do it. Its an easy day.

Its somewhere over 300W but not sure how much over. I took tuesday off, so I flet pretty good for being in the middle of a training cycle. I spent several laps early on in the 310-340W neighborhood and felt surprisingly within myself and powerful. Later in the event I could not quite do that. All the 400-700W stuff took something out of me.
markw
RE: Tired tonight. 2006/04/28 21:39:00 (permalink)
That was sent to me on an email list from a friend. I thought about it and had to dig it up with Aero92 claiming "out of shape." We do coast rides on the weekend. Got the whole group thinking bents, the way home becomes sort of a speed contest. I usually just sit back, then attack on the last 5 miles or so. Doesn't take long to reel them all in. We'll be doing an easy ride around the bay tomorrow since Sunday is the Fiesta Island TT, hope to be closer to 30 minutes for a 20k than 35 minutes. First time on a Bent and we had a 13mph headwind, still managed 21+mph average with only about 200 bent miles.

Mark
post edited by markw - 2006/04/28 21:47:34
Plinks
  • Total Posts : 545
RE: Tired tonight. 2006/04/29 04:00:24 (permalink)
Goodluck in the TT!
Givem hell!

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 15
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1