Hot!Weight limit

Author
valdesebent
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/26 20:16:42 (permalink)

Weight limit

Hello

I am zeroing in on a Bacchetta Giro and I really like the ATT models, but I weigh 235, is that a deal breaker?

Roy Pedersen

5 Replies Related Threads

Mark Colliton
    • Total Posts : 220
    RE: Weight limit 2011/05/27 14:12:22 (permalink)
    Roy, this information is posted on the Bacchetta web site for the Aluminum bikes:

Weight Limit: 230 lbs.* (*Rider and Gear Makes Up Weight Limit Total)

So the short answer to your question is, yes, it’s a deal breaker. Here’s the thing, if you’re a big guy you should buy accordingly. Our advise to anyone who’s weight is near, or above, a models stated weight limit would be to error on the side of safety. There is no need to risk your safety or voiding the warranty just to save a few pounds. Also, overloading a bike will affect the ride quality. Our experience has shown that a rider your size would be much better off on a steel frame. If you like the ATT spec you can always upgrade parts later or you could buy a frame kit and build it up just the way you want. But the first step to having a great cycling experience is getting on the right frame. Hope that helps. Mark Colliton, Bacchetta Bicycles, Inc.
    hvacgaspiping
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: Weight limit 2011/05/28 22:36:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mark Colliton

Roy, this information is posted on the Bacchetta web site for the Aluminum bikes:

Weight Limit: 230 lbs.* (*Rider and Gear Makes Up Weight Limit Total)

So the short answer to your question is, yes, it’s a deal breaker. Here’s the thing, if you’re a big guy you should buy accordingly. Our advise to anyone who’s weight is near, or above, a models stated weight limit would be to error on the side of safety. There is no need to risk your safety or voiding the warranty just to save a few pounds. Also, overloading a bike will affect the ride quality. Our experience has shown that a rider your size would be much better off on a steel frame. If you like the ATT spec you can always upgrade parts later or you could buy a frame kit and build it up just the way you want. But the first step to having a great cycling experience is getting on the right frame. Hope that helps. Mark Colliton, Bacchetta Bicycles, Inc.
    `Sure would like to see you guys bring back the Ti frame.  But, I guess that`s never gonna` happen.
    andrew.r.w
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Weight limit 2011/05/29 20:07:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: valdesebent
    ... I really like the ATT models, but I weigh 235, is that a deal breaker?

The problem is you wouldn't find out until you hit a pothole at speed. Not my idea of a good time.

I'm a clydesdale myself, and the biggest concern I have is sturdy enough wheels. Meanwhile I have to pack and plan a bit more carefully not to exceed the limit. I have about 20 lb. leeway so it's not that hard. I can't really go grocery shopping on the bike though.

Andrew   =O~O*
    Giro26 ATT
    bikingbill
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Weight limit 2011/06/01 17:09:08 (permalink)
    The steel frame feels really good with 230-240lbs of rider and gear. It ride nice, it's a good climbing bike as well.
    hvacgaspiping
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re: RE: Weight limit 2022/02/19 13:28:07 (permalink)
    Fortunately for me at 230 pounds the titanium frame I have on my 2005 Bacchetta Aero Ti has been superb, plus I have extra weight on the bike (underseat 100 oz. bladder, Dinotte headlight/2 tail light system, wallet, phone, eggbeater pedals).  I believed the titanium frame is even stronger than a steel one.  The bad news is Bacchetta no longer offers the titanium frame because several years ago the aerospace industry bought all of the tube sized titanium used in Bacchetta`s Ti Aero frames.  That`s why they went to carbon frames.  I will NEVER sell this recumbent.  One other thing of note:  Back several years ago the adhesive material which held the seat plate to the frame let go, and fortunately I was going slow when it happened and I didn`t wreck.  Bacchetta doesn`t weld the plate to the frame because of the warp probability of the frame due to the location and heat of a weld in that situation.   Bacchetta stepped up (and this was AFTER Bacchetta quit using titanium in their frames of the Aero model) and sent me a new replacement titanium frame, and I shipped the old frame and seat plate back to them.  After more than 10 years the replacement frame has still held up, in spite of my overweight situation on it.  Keep that in mind when you consider your next bike purchase....
    Jump to:
    © 2022 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1