Helpful ReplyHot!HOT FOOT AN INTERESTING SOLUTION

Author
melnia
  • Total Posts : 65
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/21 20:57:32 (permalink)

HOT FOOT AN INTERESTING SOLUTION

I have plantar fasaiitis for which I wear custom orthodics in my shoes.  I also have custom orthodics made for my bicycling shoes.  The technichian that works for the Doctor I use also coaches one of the local college bicycling teams.  For the last couple of years the custom orthodic support for the bike shoes was somewhat similar to the standard insert in the bike shoes---a Specialized shoe. After I asked whether anything could be done about the hot foot problem,  this year he tried something different and moved what I can only call the buldge in the insert backward.  The net result is that I have not suffered from hot foot this year despite the hotter than normal summer in the Northeast.  In the past I did suffer at times during the summer months.  As a result, I have come to think that using a bike shoe with its standard insert  designed for the foot position on a upright  may be part of the problem.  When we ride a high racer with our feet up high the normal insert in the bike shoe my not provide the proper support because our feet are shifting slightly to the rear of the shoe. 

Obviously this is not a scientific study but the fact that I did not suffer from hot foot this year and the only change was moving the support within the orthodic insert might argue for more experimentation by others.  In the meantime I hope this has proven the solution for me. 

ANDY

NORTH JERSEY SHORE

KEY WEST

CA 2.0 700C
CARBON AERO 1
TI AERO
CORSA S/S
RANS V-3 TI
VOLAE CLUB
LIGHTNING P-38
RANS ZENETIK C/F
SEROTTA TI
timturner
  • Total Posts : 1379
RE: HOT FOOT AN INTERESTING SOLUTION 2010/09/22 01:07:52 (permalink)
i just replaced my insoles in my Specialized shoes.
While I don't get 'hot foot', I've had tenderness on the balls of my feet all summer and chronic toe cramping.
The one and only ride I had using the new insoles was riddled with toe cramps.
I'd be interested in seeing a photo of the modification he made to your insoles.

T
melnia
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: HOT FOOT AN INTERESTING SOLUTION 2010/09/22 14:15:48 (permalink)
HE DID NOT MODIFY THE SPECIALIZED INSERTS HE CREATED A CUSTOMIZED ORTHODIC.

ANDY

NORTH JERSEY SHORE

KEY WEST

CA 2.0 700C
CARBON AERO 1
TI AERO
CORSA S/S
RANS V-3 TI
VOLAE CLUB
LIGHTNING P-38
RANS ZENETIK C/F
SEROTTA TI
ccroy
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: HOT FOOT AN INTERESTING SOLUTION 2010/10/25 14:37:20 (permalink)
For me our own Ms. Tweety posted a suggestion that works really well for me and is amazingly simple:

Scrunch your toes up when you lace/buckle your shoes. This makes your shoes feel at first a little loose but I don't notice any difference while riding, and hot foot is gone!

Chris
Laguna Hills, CA
2010 Giro 26 ATT
2010 Catrike Road
2011 Lightfoot Ranger

Life is divine when you recline!
wahoodoggydoo
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: HOT FOOT AN INTERESTING SOLUTION 2010/10/25 23:59:59 (permalink)
In Texas, we deal with a fair amount of hot foot.
1. Buy shoes that have room in front and fit nicely at the heal promotes blood circulation without foot slipping around in the shoe.
2. Spinning circles lifts the bottom of your foot off the sole of the shoe momentarily and promotes blood circulation.
3. Wiggle your toes from time to time.
4. Take your shoes off for a few minutes at break points.

John Groweg
2005 Aero
ronsmithjunior
  • Total Posts : 649
RE: HOT FOOT AN INTERESTING SOLUTION 2010/10/26 22:57:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ccroy

For me our own Ms. Tweety posted a suggestion that works really well for me and is amazingly simple:

Scrunch your toes up when you lace/buckle your shoes. This makes your shoes feel at first a little loose but I don't notice any difference while riding, and hot foot is gone!

I do exactly that and it works great. Walking around in the shoes is a little loose. Riding is fine.
hvacgaspiping
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: HOT FOOT AN INTERESTING SOLUTION 2010/11/25 12:58:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ronsmithjunior

ORIGINAL: ccroy

I do exactly that and it works great. Walking around in the shoes is a little loose. Riding is fine.
For me sandals work far better than shoes, even in the winter.  `Never had to loosen my straps, even on a century.
psychling
  • Total Posts : 1097
RE: HOT FOOT AN INTERESTING SOLUTION 2010/11/26 11:25:01 (permalink)
Here is a response I wrote to Allan Duhm regarding how I `slayed' the hotfoot dragon:

Allan ....

I wear these sandals: Shimano SH-SD65 Cycling Sandal. Nashbar sells them for $60. I use SPDs, because they accomodate the recessed cleat in the sandal. I like the recessed cleat sandal because it gives me more stability on hills, mountain grades, than my Sidi shoes and Speedplays. (On the Sidi/Speedplay combo I slip all over the place on steepish inclines/declines ... and I have the road rash to prove it). I weighed the sandals and Sidi shooes and they weigh the same. Depends on what SPD pedals/cleats you use, but we all know that Speedplay pedals are lighter than SPDs, in most cases.

http://picasaweb.google.com/psychling/BikeShoesCleatsRiserAndStem#

As my pics illustrate I took a hacksaw and sawed off the top section of the shoe so that the tip of my toe matches the tip of the sandal. Otherwise, weight notwithstanding, the sandal looked like a friggin' spatula. I also hacksawed and filed away other unneeded sections of the sandal for the same reasons (weight, lack of purpose), e.g., the big honkin' heel.

Given the `hotfoot' issue I have used DrScholl's Massaging Gel Ball of Foot Cushions. Again, I'd place one, two or three gel cushions under the part of my foot/feet that is giving me the problem. I found that it works best when I `isolate' the sensitive part by putting the gel cushions behind the sensitive part so that it was literally not experiencing any pressure. The pressure is what actually irritates the nerve. It took me several times to find just where the `sweet spot' was before I felt no pain.

I remember in Oceanside when you saw how many gel cushions I put on top of eachother you told me it wouldn't work. I was skeptical too; but since I was preparing to destroy myself in the desert and mountains I just went ahead and tried it. I piled 3 gel cushions on top of eacher, wrapped them in surgery tape and then used Gorilla Glue tape to adhere them to the bottom of my sandal.

Over the months I'd have to resituate the Gorilla Glue tape (because it naturally migrated on the sandal) to the original position. Taks 5 minutes.

I have NO hotfoot anymore. Took some experimenting to find the sweet spot. But it is a huge relief not to have to dread this problem on ultra events.

- d

Dan Fallon
http://psychling1.blogspot.com/
projo
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: HOT FOOT AN INTERESTING SOLUTION 2010/11/26 12:25:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby hvacgaspiping 2022/02/19 13:53:51
Another vote for sandals. Plus wool socks.

Gary
2011 miles: 1431 as of 22 March
hvacgaspiping
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: RE: HOT FOOT AN INTERESTING SOLUTION 2022/02/19 13:56:27 (permalink)
I use sandals here in Oklahoma even in winter with thick polar socks.  I`ve never been able to find winter shoes to fit my paddle foot anyway.  Unless it`s below 20* my feet stay pretty comfortable, and below that temperature I don`t ride anyway.
Jump to:
© 2022 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1