Hot!Wanted: Your Story!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Drifty Baker
  • Total Posts : 60
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2009/06/29 09:13:25 (permalink)
Mark,
Welcome to the B'Hive.  Enjoy your bike. 

Drifty Baker

'07 Giro 26
Go biking while it's rising!
rgoolsby
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2009/08/13 09:57:05 (permalink)
My story begins in 2002 when a friend of mine at work encouraged me to start commuting to and from work by bicycle. I then started mountain biking (or off road riding here in Florida) about a year after that. Then a year after riding the mountain bike, I added a road bike to the stable and started doing more road stuff in the summer and mountain bike in the winter.

It was after almost 6 years of riding these types of bicycles that I started to notice pain and numbness in my hands and right elbow after my rides. I all but quite riding the mountain bike in 2007 and my road rides started getting shorter due to this pain. I would go on my Saturday ride for 30 or so miles and feel like junk the rest of the day (hands, wrists, elbow, neck and shoulders hurting). I had tried 3 different bike fittings and always moved my hands around on the bars, padded gloves etc., but nothing really helped.

In December of 2008, I started researching recumbents and my local bike shop carried Sun recumbents and I took a test ride on a Sun EZ1. I loved the position, but not really the speed potential. In doing a search on performance recumbents, I came across Bacchetta and it was love at first sight and I knew that this was the type of bike I needed to test ride. Bike Works in Orlando let me take out a Strada for an hour and after some initial wobbling, I picked it up pretty quick and saw the many benefits of riding a Bacchetta performance recumbent bike. I ended up purchasing the Strada the next day.

I went through the Bacchetta website with a fine tooth comb to gather all the information I could on how to set up the bike, ride the bike and adapt to this bike. I used the Strada to commute to and from work to build up my bent muscles. I rode the Strada on the weekends and increased my mileage each time I went out for a ride. I then began to notice that I had no pain in my hands, wrists, neck, shoulders or anywhere for that matter. I was faster going into the wind and faster throughout my whole ride. Climbing the bridges was a challenge at first, but I soon was just about as fast as I was on the road bike. I was actually enjoying riding a bike again.

The Strada was a great bike that opened up a whole new world of riding to me, but I wanted more, in the form of a Bacchetta Ti Aero. I searched the web for a used one and every time I found one, it would already be sold. While in the airport in Atlanta, I checked the Bacchetta website classifieds just for kicks and found that Rich Pinto was selling his Ti Aero at the HQ in St. Pete. I contacted him via email and purchased the bike from him. My wife and I drove down to St. Pete the very next weekend to pick it up and got to meet Mike and Mark. Mike was great in answering my questions and giving me tips on the Ti Aero.

I now use the Aero as my weekend bike and have traded the Strada in for a Giro 26 to commute on. My road bike and mountain bike have been gathering dust and I will be looking for new homes for them both. Kids and adults love these bikes and make all the usual comments when I ride past like "cool bike", "that looks comfortable" "sick bike dude" etc. My daughter loves the bike and insists that I ride the Grio 26 (Banana Split) on our father daughter rides together and wishes she had one too. The roadies do not like the Aero at all because they usually get passed and for some reason can't seem to keep up.

The Bacchetta company has been outstanding to deal with and I feel like I am part of a family, which I have never felt with any other bike company I have dealt with. On top of all this is my performance and enjoyment on these bikes increases with every mile I ride and I truly can not see myself going back to a DF bike ever.

Thanks Bacchetta!!
post edited by rgoolsby - 2009/08/13 09:59:05

Rick

Ti Aero
Giro 26
ronrathnow
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2009/08/30 13:23:00 (permalink)
• What made you decide to try a recumbent in the first place?

Talked to a Bacchetta rider who mentioned there was no pain. That really got my attention and I hit the net and started researching. The more I read, the more I liked.

• Were you always a cyclist?

No. In '01 I had a minor heart attack (Is there such a thing?) at the tender age of 47. I was a class 5 whitewater kayaker for 30 years logging over 100 river days during some years. Even though I was on the heavy side I felt like I was in pretty decent shape. Surprise, surprise. Turned out my right aorta developed a major blockage. The doc wanted to bypass, but I had no desire to be cut just yet, so I argued and told him to go for an angioplasty first. The angioplasty worked out and left me with a good size stent, but things have managed to work out so far. It's been 8 years and the docs now tell me I made the right choice.

• If you were a cyclist before your recumbent, what kind of riding did you do?

About a month after the heart issue I was back in my kayak for a week of rivers with some friends from back east. At the end of the week I ended up with a DVT (blood clot) in my left leg from sitting in the confined space for too long according to the docs. Back in the hospital for a day then blood thinners for 6 months. While in the hospital I decided it was time for a EXTREME lifestyle change. Sold all the kayaks and bought a Klein hard tail mtn. bike. Got into mtn. biking for the next few years and added a full suspension Giant AC1 to the stable. Then decided to get a road bike (Kona Sutra touring frame) to mix up the workouts so I'd have both anaerobic and aerobic exercise. I was getting in better shape, but didn't seem to be losing a lot of weight. I was still mtn. biking quite a bit too and after breaking the AC1 replaced it with a Giant Reign X1. This year a friend of mine mentioned doing the STP. We got serious about training and the weight started melting off. We started doing 50+ mile rides on a regular basis. The conditioning was getting better, but I was always in pain somewhere it seemed. Hands, wrists, butt, neck, you name it. About two weeks before the STP I came home one day from a 50 mile ride with a pins and needles feeling in my wrists and decided that was ENOUGH!

• How did a recumbent change your life? (weight control, health issues, quality of life, performance, etc.)

I had pretty much decided by then I wanted the Giro 26 and headed down to my local dealer the following day and made the purchase. He was a bit dubious about taking it on the STP with so little time to get used to it, but I was determined by then. Over the next 9 days I put 400 miles on the Giro. The Tuesday before the STP I did a 105 mile ride. The beauty of it all was the NO PAIN factor. I was tired, and some new muscles were strained, but there was NO PAIN. I got 3 days of rest then STP day came and I did 152 miles on the first day which left only 55 miles on the second day to complete. I kept seeing people dealing with all the common pain issues on the ride and I had none. My highest expectations had been reached and I was a happy guy. Prior to purchasing the Giro I was always happy to do long rides, but I was even happier when they were done. It's not that I didn't enjoy or have fun on a DF, I always knew in the back of my mind there would be some pain involved. Now I come home from rides feeling great and looking forward to the next one. The average length of my rides has increased. When you're not focused on your aches and pains you tend to see more of what's around you and the whole enjoyment of the experience is increased.

• What would you tell other people who are new to cycling, or new to recumbents, in terms of "This is why you should be riding a recumbent."

I would say get right down to your shop and get 'Bent if you haven't already. It seems to me if it hadn't been for the 1934 UCI ruling banning 'bents from competition that bike design would have gone in a better direction than it has. Right off the bat I noticed my average speed on favorite rides of mine increased. I was a bit slower on the hills, but faster on the flats and down hills. The better aerodynamics alone would account for that. I've found the bike to be more stable than my DF at high speeds. As your legs build up your speed up the hills will get better. The NO PAIN factor will allow you to expand your horizons and strive to do longer rides. This leads to less reliance on the combustion engine and better overall health.

Blue Giro 700
Mango Giro ATT 700
Giant Trance 29er X1 
Giant Reign X1
Rans Citi

Those DFs will keep you Slow
While Bacchettas make you GO
johnmwest1
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2011/04/19 16:26:42 (permalink)
These stories sound like broken records (You can guess my age from that last statement-!  I have always exercised, played basketball in high school and college. Tried hang gliding, cross country ski racing, running,raced surf skis,just about any sport is a fun sport for me.  I occassionally got hurt and had to hit the pool for therapy.  Got hooked on swimming (Still swim 5 days a week with a Masters club in Seattle).  There is where I found a great bunch of bikers hidden- today I still can't decide if it is a swim club or a bike club .  Triathalons helped bring the two sports together I suspect.

I had just about reached my pain limits with biking on a DF.  Wrist,back, arthritic joints and sore neck and butt made me stop after 20 miles.  Almost instantly I was able to transition over to a Bacchetta Corsa and ride longer distances.  It took a while for my recumbent legs to develop.  Slowly I  learned how to ride hills and switchbacks, when to let her go and trust the bike.  Sure glad I stuck with it and had the help from other recumbent riders.  This forum helps answer so many questions!

Advanced from the Corsa to a Medium frame Ti Aero(too small), a large frame Ti Aero(wish I still had it), a large CA 1.0( still have it), and presently a CA 2.0  Guess you can say I'm a BIG Bacchetta fan!

In the last year I tagged along on some amazing rides. The Oregon Coastline, STP, Cascade Mt Loop, Victoria BC and Vancouver BC and next week we leave for 5 weeks in Europe.  Not too bad for a 57 year old with a replaced hip, discectomy, and basketball knees.  Boy am I looking forward to retirement and meeting you all on some new rides! Thanks Bacchetta.

John West
 Seattle

sharonbikes
  • Total Posts : 516
RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2011/07/15 19:31:30 (permalink)
What made you decide to try a recumbent in the first place?

I first saw a recumbent about 15 years ago. After an organized century ride, I saw a guy on a Rans Rocket riding around the parking lot smoking a cigarette and drinking a beer and I thought ...hey, I would like to be able to do that after a century ride (even though I don't smoke or drink cheap beer!), but to be able to do that after a century ride when the rest of us just wanted to get off our bikes and stand up straight! I was intrigued. I drove all over to test ride different bikes and settled on a Rans V-Rex, but cash flow was the problem...and, I kept riding my DF and dreaming of a recumbent while I paid off student loans. Fast forward ten years, post rotator cuff surgery and my shoulder never recovered enough to ride my DF without intense pain .. and I thought of a recumbent again. Friends of mine who own a bike shop hooked up with the guys at Cycle Genius. I talked with them about a short wheelbase recumbent (they only do long wheelbase) and they said - you should look at Bacchetta bikes and so I did and here I am!

Were you always a cyclist?

Yes! Since I was about 5 and learned to ride a DF w that my grandfather built out of some pipe and leftover bike parts. I rode for transportation and stress relief for years (I did upgrade to a Schwinn single speed, a used Huffy 10 speed in college and eventually to a steel frame road bike I built up (my fav DF bike ever!). I have always done long distance road cycling, did a couple of races and some triathlons, but my joy in biking is just me and the road.

If you were a cyclist before your recumbent, what kind of riding did you do?
Distance road cycling and rail trail riding on a modified mountain bike.

If you were not a traditional cyclist, why was a recumbent your first bike?
How did a recumbent change your life? (weight control, health issues, quality of life, performance, etc.)

I can bike again! And, without pain. I was afraid I could never ride a bike again for longer than 10 minutes at a time. I love my Giro!

What would you tell other people who are new ... why a recumbent?

Ride a recumbent because it is painless! Plus, it is just fun ... kids especially comment about the cool bike. But, my favorite comments are from the grown-ups who tell me that "I am cheating" because I am just riding on a lounge chair!

mhoy
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2011/11/19 19:51:14 (permalink)
A decade ago used to mountain bike some, liked it but having a couple of kids interrupted the biking. Did the "ride to work" thing with a college and dusted off the old mountain bike hanging in the garage. After a couple of weeks, noticed that my shoulders and hands didn't feel right. Heck could a 7 mile ride do this? Yes it can, guess hitting the big 50 does this to ya.

Started reading about recumbent bikes and wow, an inexpensive Haluzak Leprechaun was 5 minutes away. Bought it, and it was a simple transition to recumbent with USS. This alleviated the shoulder pain and my hands got better too. I was now riding 1 to 2 times regularly each week to work.

Then the craigslist gods smiled and I found guy selling a Bacchetta Corsa SS but it's 40 minutes drive away! Hmmmm......better read up on this. Hey, this is a seriously good bike!!! I make arrangements and get to try out, the guy has both seats to try too!! While the re-curve was soft and cushy, I liked the Euromesh seat as it was lighter and it fit me quite nicely. Hope to heck my wife doesn't kill me... and I bring home my new bike (it's in truly great shape).

I've now been riding in to work for a couple of months on the Corsa and it's a game changer for me. I've now gone on a couple of longish (for me) rides: 33.5, 23 miles and I look forward to good weather to do so again. I'm not panting like a dying exhausted middle age dude after a 7 mile ride to work anymore. It's helping relieve stress and get my cardiovascular system in shape. Yep, all a good thing. I've got some rides in cooler weather (well cooler for Northern CA) and low 50s isn't so bad with the right jacket, gloves and under shirts. Maybe I'll put on the fenders and be ready for rain too.

BTW: I called up Bacchetta to order a couple of parts, mirrors, seat stays, bike jersey, etc. Wonderful service, totally friendly, guided me for what would fit. Really happy with my new bike! And I was wrong, it's not a good bike, it's a GREAT bike.

Here is my first picture before I reclined the seat and added the yellow brain bag.

Thanks Bacchetta for a great bike

Mark
post edited by mhoy - 2011/11/19 19:56:10
ol yeller
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2011/12/18 21:20:09 (permalink)
I have been cycling since 2007. It all started with a friend having an idea in doing a benifit ride in remembrance of falling Fire, Law Enforcement Offesers and EMS personel, that died in the line of duty. Me being a Fire Fighter thought it was a awesome idea. We called ourselves Brotherhood Ride. Before that, me being strictly a runner.The people on bicycles just seemed lazy. Signing on with this BHR thing ment I would need to buy a bicycle. I had a crappy one. Definitely needed an upgrade. Training for our first ride I found out that these bicycle people weren't that lazy. Putting a lot of miles on a bike is painful. In running its legs and feet. Cycling, I'm talking whole body pain. And the butt OMG!!!. I always had an interest in ultra distance, running and know cycling. So started training for Sebring 24 hr. in 09. Did it. Awesome experance, but very painful. That was where I first seen recumbent bikes. One thing that really impressed me was, the people that do this crazy stuff are so friendly and helpful, and the bikes were very fast. Our last BHR was a 22 day ride. Came back from that. Two weeks later me and my girl friend did 6 Gap in Ga. After that I was kinda burned out on cycling. Started signing up for running races. Kristy (my girlfriend) purchased a Bacchetta Corsa. She wanted to do this ride in Georiga. So we brought my DF her Corsa. My interest in recumbent bikes started in the Claxton ride this year. Found out that I would never be able to hang with this type of bike. The people were awesome to hang with, like a family. After we came back home I watched a video, one of the riders did. It was very cool. After that I was sold. Kristy found a Corsa SS on E Bay. Won the bidding war. So now I'm hooked. More excited about riding than I have ever been. I will still ride my DF, I guess. Something interesting about riding a recumbent and running. When I get off my Corsa it feels awesome to run. It wasn't like that with the other bike. Don't know why, it just does.
So I'm looking forward to future rides and hanging out with my new friends.
Eagles
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2011/12/19 16:34:22 (permalink)
My history from Ukraine - handbike
foto and video http://businesstrack.ru/handbik.html

Attached Image(s)

BarryBerland
  • Total Posts : 72
1.5 weeks on the New Bacchetta with 225 miles under my belt. Love it! 2012/09/14 10:32:55 (permalink)
I recently purchased a CO 2 XOm, M frame with Zipp 404's
I'm 63, live in Atlanta with lots of hills everywhere.
I'm still a Strong b+rider, riding with B and A groups on club rides.
 I've Been riding many different brands of high end road bikes and components over the last ten years with many fast centuries that were once fun.
My Neck, shoulders and back started being quite a discomfort over the last two years on the DF.
Rides longer than 50 miles were just not fun anymore!
Another friend/rider who rides Bacchetta's since the early days, was the reason I went to Bacchetta.
I now have only a week and half riding the new bike with total of 225 miles under my belt.
I feel great!! I have not participated in any group or club rides as I know I'm not secure in my handling abilities to make it a safe ride.
Just need to put a lot of work in hill climbing to be a goat, as I had been on my DF.  My speed on the Bent is consistently faster on the Atlanta areas that our relatively flat with some rollers. No problem here.
The Bacchetta CO for me is a new page in my cycling fun and looking forward to where I spend my winters in Central Florida, where I know the CO2 will be a stand out performer.   

Barry
BarryBerland@Gmail.com
404-210-8727
Roswell, GA 30075
rswann45
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Wanted: Your Story! 2012/09/24 11:24:09 (permalink)
Mike,
I've really enjoyed the stories riders have posted.
I just sent mine in.

My calf muscles are paralyzed and I have carbon fiber braces that allow me to ride my Giro 20 (See my avatar)

Learning to ride my Giro 20 was a challenge.  I remember my first attempt a riding left me lying in the street at the bottom of my driveway wondering if with my wobbly-partially paralyzed legs I could get the bike back up the hill to my garage.  I had to crawl and drag my bike behind me. I was so discouraged, I waited several months before trying again with success.

Swann
Giro 20
bionicHip2
Re:Wanted: Your Story! 2012/09/28 09:06:02 (permalink)
I'm currently rehabbing my 2nd hip replacement due to severe hip arthritis, which explains my userid.
I have ridden my Strada with great enjoyment for 5 years, and as a "rehab" present intend to "trick it out" with a new drive train. I am also an avid time triallist. We have a nice local time trial course on Canada road in the San Francisco Bay Area, that is used in many local TTs. It's also included in the Bay Area Senior Games, which I intend to ride in the 60-64 division this spring.
I also intend to compare my times on my Strada with those on a conventional road bike with TT bars (I can ride the upright for relatively short distances like a 5K or 10K TT. though it is of course not as comfortable as the Strada).
I'll keep you posted on the comparison.
-rich
Morgan Hill, Ca

p.s. I had the minimally invasive anterior approach to hip replacement. Rehab time is amazing, especially when I compare with friends who have had the conventional approach. I was walking, full weight bearing, in a few days, ditched the cane after 2 weeks, back on my bike in 4 weeks, up to full strength by about 10 weeks for hip 1. I'm currently at day 8 for hip 2, and it seems to be going at least as well. So If you need a hip replacement I recommend this approach (I was also lucky enough to find a great surgeon)
SinCron
Re: RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2013/02/28 10:32:04 (permalink)
Well Mike, it all started almost two years ago when I decided I would ride my medium sized mountain bike (I'm 6'2") the longest I ever rode, 50K out to a co-workers place. I had a crappy Canadian Tire cruiser bike seat on it and it was just the worst. My ass was killing me and when I tried to stand, my legs hurt so it was one or the other. I later upgraded to an RX seat and that helped but no matter how much junk food and fried chicken I ate, I couldn't grow myself an ass (currently 157#). That was all in the summer.

Fast forward to late October/early November, I saw a Trek R200 in the window of a bike store while I was looking for 29ers and thought "Holy crap! What is that thing?!". They set me up with a test ride on it after getting it adjusted and I tested it out in a nearby square. I could not keep the grin off my face. It was like learning how to ride a bike again. It was difficult but took less time, but I'll be damned if it wasn't just as thrilling. Unfortunately due to its rear suspension, this wasn't the bike for me (I like trailers). I soon registered at BROL and they helped me pick out a Giro 26 which I ended up getting the day before my girlfriends birthday and ended up riding the hell out of it the next day (sorry sweetie).

It is now coming up to almost a year later and I find any excuse that I can to go out riding. I've gone to local bike week events and taught people about recumbents and even offered them rides. Every time someone has a question, I fill them in the best I can (the main problem is that people really consciously aren't aware of recumbents). I even did a 190K ride in September that killed my knees thanks to what I now know was IT Band tension.

I've learned many things since I've started riding and I have more to learn. I'd advise that all future recumbents be paired with stretching guides as you are using different muscles. People who have never gone far on an upright will want to push themselves and it would be worth knowing to invest in a decent pair of shoes that don't localize pressure on certain parts of your feet (the two problems I had on my 190KM journey).

Oh yeah, I'm, 27.
superj
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Wanted: Your Story! 2013/03/25 19:15:51 (permalink)
i put everything in the thread at the top of the page,  pictures too.

the only thing i would like to add is i let everyone try my strada out.  people say i am crazy but most people don;t even know what a recumbent is so how are they ever going to know where to go look at one.  the closest bacchetta dealer is 4 hours north of me so i know people in the town i live in will have a hard time testing one out but i stop and talk to anyone who has questions,  wave to everyone,  and generally try and present a very positive image for riding and recumbents, in general.  you never know who is watching and who you are talking to when they are driving next you talking out the window and taking pictures of your bike.
BarryBerland
Re:Wanted: Your Story! 2013/03/26 17:53:30 (permalink)
Riding my new CA2 for about 6 months.  The first 2 months in Atlanta, I was having some typical learning curve issues with starting and stopping especially on the hills in and Around Atlanta.  The newness of the riding position and the plain ol not confident was all over my face.  However after the last 4 months of riding in Central Florida including the hilly Clermont, Fl., I've gotten real comfortable and quite strong on the hills, riding in A group rides- and riding in traffic.

I've gotten just about as strong on the hills as I was on my DF- riding.  The big test will be on April 1, when I head back to Atlanta and are challenged with big long steep hills and the mountains which I intend to ride on the CA2.  

I haven't sold my DF as yet even though have only ridden it twice in the last 6 months.  Atlanta and the killer hills will be the test for me.  

Barry
BarryBerland@Gmail.com
404-210-8727
Roswell, GA 30075
BarryBerland
Re: Wanted: Your Story! 2013/04/08 06:10:32 (permalink)
Had a fantastic 3day BRAG ride in Madison, GA. Fri-Sun. 60 miles, 100 miles, with a Sun finish of another brisk 70 miles to finish off what was a perfect cycling weathet weekend.

This same route repeats every year. If your interested in low low country rounds in rolling and hilly farmland this is the course for you.

Barryberland@bellsouth.net

Barry
BarryBerland@Gmail.com
404-210-8727
Roswell, GA 30075
Seavo_Sam
Re: Wanted: Your Story! 2013/08/30 09:10:19 (permalink)
Here is our story:
  • What made you decide to try a recumbent in the first place? In 2009 while commuting to work with my wife on our Santana tandem, we were struck from behind by a car traveling 50-60 mph.  Although we were seriously injured, we survived and made it back to cycling on a new Co-motion tandem months later.  Finally in early 2013 we decided we were able to fulfill the dream/plan we had for 2010 to ride in the Houston to Austin MS150 so we started riding at least 3 times a week to get in shape.  We got our legs and lungs into good shape, but after 50 miles our necks and back hurt really badly.  Especially my wife’s who had a broken neck and back in the ‘incident’.  So 4 weeks before the ride(early April 2013) recumbent popped into my mind and I started my investigation.  And 3 weeks before the ride, by some miracle a Rans Seavo Tandem popped up on Cragslist just about 20 miles from us.  We went and rode it and snatched it up and trained on it for only 3 weeks before the big ride.  To say the least it was a success.  We completed the 2 day event with only tired legs.  No neck, back or butt issues and feeling that we could have gone farther.  That would not have been the case with her neck and back on the Co-motion.  So with that success story and loving the recumbent tandem, I vowed to never set my butt on my DF road bike again and I started looking for a single recumbent.  Finally in Late August(last Sunday) I found a nice used Strada locally and bought it.  I have ridden it 100 miles already and I am loving it.  When we can’t ride together on the Tandem, I will be on my single now!!!!  Riding in comfort is great!!!!   
  • Were you always a cyclist? – I bought my first real 10 speed,a Peugeot U08 in 1975ish and started really cycling in 1982 when I bought a new TREK 620 and have been riding avidly ever since.
  • If you were a cyclist before your recumbent, what kind of riding did you do? – I have mostly just ridden causally.  No racing.  Lots of just riding and many organized and charity rides.  Riding with wife and pulling the kids in a trailer when they were little.  We had a trailer long before they were popular and easy to find.  Some commuting to work both by myself and with my wife on a tandem
  • If you were not a traditional cyclist, why was a recumbent your first bike? –
  • How did a recumbent change your life? (weight control, health issues, quality of life, performance, etc.)  hWe still wanted to ride our bike together, but anyting over 20 miles really caused my wife neck and back issues.  It got to the point where she would ride, but not tell me she was in pain.  I couldn’t keep ‘making’ her ride if she did not enjoy it anymore.  Now we can ride and for the first time ever she thinks it is a waste of time if we don’t ride at least 30 miles!!!!!  That didn’t happen even before or ‘incident’!!!  On day 2 of the MS150, half way through my wife asked me how far we had gone.  I told her we had done about 35 miles, so we have gone about 105 in 2 days.  Her response was ‘Wow, it doesn’t seem like we have gone that far.”  On the other bike I think should would have been wanting off the bike or been ‘done’ long before the 35 mile mark.
  • What would you tell other people who are new to cycling, or new to recumbents, in terms of "This is why you should be riding a recumbent" – You always hear the phase ‘No pain, no gain’.  Well that is true in any sport you partake in to get into shape.  But once in shape, when you ride you should not get off the bike every time in so much pain you can’t stand it or it makes you not enjoy it.  We still have pain after riding, leg pain if we ride hard, which is what you should have.  Be we have no neck, back or butt pain which keeps us enjoying riding and hopefully will allow us to ride for many years to come still.
Here we are on day1 of the MS150:
  •  
Here is my new(used) New Strada
http://www.flickr.com/photos/100831708@N05/
glend
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Wanted: Your Story! 2013/10/26 16:56:37 (permalink)
Simple, it makes cycling fun again.

I wasn't enjoying my 30-50km daily rides because hand/saddle numbness so started investigating recumbent's. Ordered a bacchetta bella, sight unseen, from the internet, which I have now for a coupe of weeks. My first impression, what have I done, this baby is long, but when I sat in the seat, it was love at first sight, more comfortable than most lounge chairs, just a wow factor in itself.  Comfort level I rate the bacchetta bella a 10/10 and uprights a 1/10. 

The bacchetta bella is definitely no slouch, I  ride much faster, my muscles loving the crank forward position, the wind not my enemy. The frame flexing beautifully, giving a magic carpet ride, over any bumps I encounter.

I now ride around, smelling the roses, instead worrying about hand and saddle numbness.  

It has made cycling fun again

Thank you bacchetta, THANK YOU.

Glen Dean
Australia
post edited by glend - 2013/10/26 16:57:47
billywhizz3
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Wanted: Your Story! 2014/09/08 02:33:20 (permalink)
I'm Bill Wickham, from Newcastle-upon-Tyne in Northeast England. I purchased my Corsa 24/24 some years ago after having owned a Kingcycle for some years & realising that recumbent cycling was really meant for me! I immediately exchanged the foam seat for a Ventisit, exchanged the standard idler for a Terracycle version, exchanged the standard calipers for X-eyed & had oval chainrings made for me by Chris Bell in Wales. Following his recommendations  the small ring is 30T 30% ovality, middle ring is 44T. 15% ovality, large ring unchanged & 55T., which gives me a gear range of 26-120. His rings were always made from a very high grade alloy which wears only very slowly. Sadly, due to illness he no longer has his CNC machining facility. Oval rings (correctly orientated) undoubtedly help me up steeper climbs. Sram shifters were exchanged for Shimano Dura Ace bar end levers & the rear mech is now a Shimano reverse-pull XTR one. I use a Scottoiler chain lubrication system - water soluble oil means that (in theory, at any rate!) when it rains your chain is washed clean. I was keen to have guards & solved clearance problems by using Salmon alloy guards. These are only 22mm wide & their profile allows them to be bent to suit 24" wheels. The front guard is split at the forks with a s/s bracket either side. As the guard is designed for a 700c wheel it is long enough to be carried well forward & is supported by a stay at the front, directing water back down towards the road. I carry a mudflap with me which is only fitted to the front guard when conditions dictate, using s/s bolts & wingnuts which are drilled & tapped thro' the guards. Recently purchased has been a Terracycle pannier rack system which has been used on a trip up through the Outer Hebrides & back down through the Isle of Skye, & it'll be used in May '15 when we do the 'End to End' (Lands End to John o'Groats). I've attached a photo in case anyone is interested.

Attached Image(s)

Mike Wilkerson
  • Total Posts : 607
Re: RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2017/03/10 07:58:49 (permalink)
I'd like to get this rolling again. The main idea would be a nice write up with some pictures, something we could add to our growing Facebook page. Give us something good- a ride or race you've recently completed, touring story, daily adventures in commuting- that kind of thing. Have fun with it!

You can send your write up and pictures to mike@bacchettabikes.com

Thanks.
Mike Wilkerson
Bacchetta
jkeenan7
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2017/03/13 14:47:16 (permalink)
Will be doing a write up on a long ride on me new Carbon Basso GS as soon as ol'man winter departs.    The way it's going in the Pacific northwest that will be some time in May or June!!!!

'16 Carbon Basso GS
'06 Bike Friday NWT
'99 VRexAchetta (Stolen and Born Again)
'08 Bike Friday Tandem
'13  Mukluk3 
SOLD:'05 Aero Basso '06 Ti Aero '05 Corsa '11 29er MTB  Bike Friday SAT R DAY  '07 Giro 20 '03 Strada

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1