Hot!Wanted: Your Story!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Mike Wilkerson
  • Total Posts : 607
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/28 11:49:05 (permalink)

Wanted: Your Story!

We're working on some marketing plans and we need your story and a picture to help us out.  We all know the benefits of recumbents: comfort, performance, etc. but so many others do not.  We need to reach those people.  Many of you came to recumbents for various reasons, so in your story include the following:
  • What made you decide to try a recumbent in the first place?
  • Were you always a cyclist?
  • If you were a cyclist before your recumbent, what kind of riding did you do?
  • If you were not a traditional cyclist, why was a recumbent your first bike?
  • How did a recumbent change your life? (weight control, health issues, quality of life, performance, etc.)
  • What would you tell other people who are new to cycling, or new to recumbents, in terms of "This is why you should be riding a recumbent"

What we are NOT looking for:
  • A three paragraph write up on how you kicked a roadie's ass this weekend
  • An essay on how you're fool if you are not riding a recumbent

So if you're game, send the following to mike@bacchettabikes.com-
A one or two paragraph write up AND a picture of you on your bike.  We desperately need pictures of people on thier bikes!

We're hoping to get a big response from all you guys and gals, so don't let us down!

Thanks,
Mike
Bacchetta

59 Replies Related Threads

Logger
    • Total Posts : 803
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/06/28 16:43:33 (permalink)
    Ok Mike, I'll try to get something together this week. Good luck.

Keep smiling!
    Dennis

Giro 26
    CA-2
    wkrider
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/06/28 17:40:28 (permalink)
    I'll send you what I can....from a newbie.

2007 Strada
    http://wkrider.smugmug.com/

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride". ~John F. Kennedy
    Mike Wilkerson
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/06/28 17:55:24 (permalink)
    That's great guys, we appreciate it!

Mike
    Bacchetta
    John Schlitter
    • Total Posts : 2536
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/06/28 18:31:57 (permalink)
    Hey gals and guys, just be sure to write the stories in a conversational style.

Thanks
     John
    jkeenan7
    • Total Posts : 1877
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/06/28 20:00:14 (permalink)
    Yo Mike..

Will do.   

Suggestion:  Send an email to all members of the forum.  Me thinks thar ought to be some way to do dat.   

In the meantime, I'm sharpening my pencil....er....I mean....I'll get somethin' to ya.

'16 Carbon Basso GS
    '06 Bike Friday NWT
    '99 VRexAchetta (Stolen and Born Again)
    '08 Bike Friday Tandem
    '13  Mukluk3 
    SOLD:'05 Aero Basso '06 Ti Aero '05 Corsa '11 29er MTB  Bike Friday SAT R DAY  '07 Giro 20 '03 Strada

bikeolounger
    • Total Posts : 248
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/06/28 23:24:33 (permalink)
    Mike,

Here's a link to something that has been online for several years.  It's not exactly what you are seeking, but feel free to use any of it that will help.

I'll play with a few words and see what I can make fit together for you.

bikeolounger

Owner of the flamboyant Strada "Gasato" in
    Louisville Kentucky
    Nic
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/06/29 12:42:08 (permalink)
    Working on something too Mike.  So it's not a testimonial, more of "my story" of why with Bacchetta and all the good stuff you mentioned.  Not a book but only a few paragraphs.  Wow that's gonna be hard to narrow down in a few paragraphs.  

Nic Morel
    Corsa SS
    Can't beat em... Ban em...

Check out my cave.
    http://www.freewebs.com/nicmorel
    jtanner
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/06/29 14:35:04 (permalink)
    I've been riding bicycles and motorcycles since I was approx 6 years old . Bicycles for recreation and transportation to school and work .  Moto-cross riding got me into fitness and training on a bicycle to be fit to race .  Bicycle racing didn't interest me until my college buddies coaxed me into some events and thats all it took .  I have been racing bikes for 30 some years now and road racing and crits are my passion .  I purchase a recumbent in the mid 90's when my body was not cooperating with the long base miles required to maintain my competitive racing requirements .  The Haluzak and bike E allowed me to spend hours on the bike without compromising my back , hands , shoulder , and seat !!!   These bents were heavy and slow so no groups rides ; just solo training miles and time .
    Following JS. on Gulf blvd. one sunny morning I couldn't believe the performance level that he was getting from the Bacchetta ??  After a couple more hours of sitting on his wheel at 30 mph. I started asking him some questions ? I been riding the Ti.Aero now for over a year . This is the best riding , fastest road bike I've ever had the pleasure of riding . I now can ride with the groups and organized events and relax in comfort while enjoying the greatest activity that cycling can offer .  My long cardio rides don't stress my back , arms and hands .  I work as a massage therapist is a medical office and can't afford my hands to be cramped and  tired after a long weekend of riding .  The Bacchetta affords me the opportunity to enjoy the fun of cycling with out the negative side effects that curse the standard bike community .
    Having the back and spine horizontal with the road stops compression injuries . No pressure on the shoulder and hands keeps me pain free for my carreer with massage therapy .
    Thanks Bacchetta for the win at Sebring this year ,  Ultra distance cycling is now my new priority .
    Sincerely,  J.Tanner LMT.CST.MA., cat#3 road
    Nic
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/06/29 14:38:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fastb22

We're working on some marketing plans and we need your story and a picture to help us out. 

So if you're game, send the following to mike@bacchettabikes.com

A one or two paragraph write up AND a picture of you on your bike. 

Thanks,
    Mike
    Bacchetta

Excellent write up!  Short, sweet, to the point and great points inbetween!  Might help others on what/how to write up something!!!  Thanks

post edited by Nic - 2007/06/29 14:43:54

Nic Morel
    Corsa SS
    Can't beat em... Ban em...

Check out my cave.
    http://www.freewebs.com/nicmorel
    Mike Wilkerson
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/06/29 16:56:48 (permalink)
    Holy Schlitter!  Very good response so far.  Usually on this sort of thing we get a small trickle and that's it, but not this time.

Very good start everyone, keep em' coming.

Mike
    Bacchetta
    post edited by fastb22 - 2007/06/29 16:57:24
    BirdieMama
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/06/30 00:00:19 (permalink)
    Sent mine in via direct email, Mike!  "Holy Schlitter"... Ha! Ha!  Yes, and John has the "scepter" to rule the B Hive, too.  I saw him wielding it in St. Pete...matter of fact, I handed it to him in the warehouse for his wielding pleasure!  

We don't need a short little bio from JS - we need a feature-length DVD and, believe me, it would SELL!!!  It could have out-takes, too... and all the key B-Buoyz-n-Gurlz could Star in the production.  Wouldn't that be SUPER?!!!

Tweety

"It's a beautiful day for a ride;
    you know you wanna come along!
    It's a beautiful day outside;
    the air will do you good!"

The Jellydots

TEAM BACCHETTA
    wkrider
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/07/01 21:55:39 (permalink)
    Mike, I e-mailed mine to you.
    post edited by wkrider - 2007/07/03 14:03:03

2007 Strada
    http://wkrider.smugmug.com/

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride". ~John F. Kennedy
    hveit
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/07/04 23:53:22 (permalink)
    Mike,

Sent My Story last night by email and posted on my blog www.howardsbents.blogspot.com with pictures.

Great idea...hope you will share the stories with us.

Howard
    planB
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/07/09 14:58:14 (permalink)
    My diamond frame I can ride for two hours and look forward to getting off the thing.
    My recumbent I can ride for 5 hours and look forward to riding it tomorrow.
    I average about the same speed on both.
    isolani
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/07/28 21:04:38 (permalink)
    I am a bicycle commuter. Saves gas and the environment. I don´t put my bike atop a car and parade it around as  others in this forum may do. I walk the talk. It´s a good bike, an all around goat, a mule. Ask me how much I spent on gasoline last month. Answer is nothing. I thought of  a recumbente after thinking about then deicarding the idea of a pedicab service as a potential income. I bought my first car at age 27 out of necessity. I´m the only person I know at my age (50 come April, at my reckoning) who has purchased but 3 combustible engine vehicles. I like my Giro26 because it gets me to work passing gas stations and sometimes passing cars. 

Asheville, NC
    Giro26
    geosat
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/07/29 11:43:05 (permalink)
    I remember always being fond of recumbent bicycles. I saw my first at nine years old and was enthralled ever since. Only problem, they were prohibitively expensive.

Fast forward 30 years and I’m onto my third and favorite bent, my Bacchetta Giro 20. I got back on a bike after a 12-year hiatus not because I felt out of shape but instead; I found that I had Brain Cancer. I went from airline Captain to unable to speak and worst yet unable to fly or even drive due to my resultant Epilepsy.

I ride my recumbent everywhere deep into the riding season. It gives me freedom from getting rides to work or riding the “short bus”’ I commute on it, do some touring and ride in any Cancer ride possible. Once the snow starts to fly I get back on to my diamond frame with studded snow tires and finish out the rest of winter. Once the snow is gone I am right back at it riding my bent.

Anyway, I love the smoothness the quietness and the bump dampening aspects of my Bacchetta and would not trade one for anything!
     George

George S.
    Lemond Proprat
    Giro 20
    Volae Century
    Rans Rocket
    www.abta.org
    jeffssmith1
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/07/30 14:56:36 (permalink)
    I saw my first Bacchetta in July 2006 during the Courage Classic here in Colorado. I was riding a DF road bike and struggling with the hills and suffering from sore butt and back, and numb hands at the time. When I caught up with the rider at a rest stop, he told me that his bike was ultra-comfortable and did just fine climbing hills.

Two weeks later I bought my Corsa. $2200 seemed like a big investment, but I've ridden thousands of miles on it and the bike has helped me get into the best shape of my life. The reason for this is that since riding on my Corsa is so much fun and completely pain-free, I find that I want to ride it a lot. It is also the fastest bike I've ever ridden.

Flash forward a year and I just finished my second Courage Classic. Except this time I enjoyed the ride. I had no aches or pains, and I was able to enjoy the mountain views during the three day ride with my recumbent riding position, instead of being forced to stare at the ground beneath my front wheel. I was also among the very fastest of the 2000 riders, passing people left and right, even up the mountain passes. And with the aerodynamic riding position of the Corsa, on the flats and downhills, I probably was the fastest rider out there. At least I can say that no one passed me on a flat or downhill in three days of riding.

Today I weigh 15 pounds less than I did when I bought the bike. My resting heart rate has dropped from the 70s to the mid 50s, and my body fat has dropped to less than 10%. Not bad for a 42 year old with a receding hairline!

Jeff Smith
    2006 Corsa - Colorado
    jeffssmith1
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/07/30 15:05:15 (permalink)
    Mike, I think another good marketing avenue for you is to send out some cards with a link to your website. I had people come up to me at every rest stop during my last tour, asking me about the bike. Yesterday, while I was passing a woman during a long mountain climb, she asked about the bike and I just had time to shout "it's faster and more comfortable than a regular bike--check out BacchettaBikes.com!" as I pulled away.

I think Nic (on this forum) has mentioned this before too. Just send us some cards and we'll put them in our brain box bags and hand them out when people approach us. We love the B bikes and are happy to get the word out about them.

Jeff Smith
    2006 Corsa - Colorado
    workurlegs
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Wanted: Your Story! 2007/08/09 10:07:10 (permalink)
    I was never a “cyclist.”  I rode a bike growing up like every other kid my age but I never rode any distance.  I rode a mountain bike a little in college but nothing competitive.  Many years late my friend and I started watching the Tour “day” France and Lance Armstrong and we both decided to try cycling.  I never even thought about a recumbent.  I bought a CF DF and initially loved it.  However, once I started on group rides and riding weekly I soon suffered upper neck and low back pain as well as numb hands.  Some of it improved with conditioning but working as a surgeon I couldn’t continue the torture.  Rather than abandon cycling I started thinking about the recumbent.  A friend was trying out a Gyro 26.  I saw him at a local convenience store and asked if I could try it out.  I jumped on and immediately started pedaling around the parking lot without difficulty.  Hmm, my curiosity over this strange machine had increased.  Living in Hays Kansas and previously riding BEHIND John Schlitter on my DF, I knew the potential of this machine.
    Well I spoke with Sarah Kay at the HUB (our lbs) and tried out a 2007 Strada.  I rode it about 2 miles and although absolutely nothing was sore, physically I felt like I had ridden my rode bike 10 miles.  Nevertheless, I pedaled home with the Strada.  On the way home I wedged the front tire in a crack and over I went with the new bike.  My right shoulder was very sore and I could barely move my arm.  I have bilateral shoulder injuries due to weightlifting so an injury like this would have kept me off the DF for a couple weeks or more.  I iced the shoulder and rode the Strada the next day for 10 miles.  The legs were feeling better and the shoulder was fine.  The following day I went on a group ride and while looking back around a corner I slid off the blacktop onto some sand and down I went onto the left shoulder.  Three days later I was riding with two bad shoulders.  Oh, btw, four days after a vasectomy I was back on the bike riding. (you would never ever do that on a DF bike). 
    To date I have no neck, back, or shoulder pain attributable to the Strada.
    What would you tell other people who are new to cycling?  Regardless of your age try a recumbent.  If you don’t have back, neck, shoulder or hand pain you will if riding a DF long enough.  It just doesn’t seem reasonable to subject ones body to unnecessary abuse and wear.  So what about the hills?  Aren’t recumbents slower on hills?  Yes all things equal a specific rider should be slightly faster up hill on a DF but substantially slower down hill.  How often are you going downhill?  About as often as you go uphill J
    Hope this helps.
    cwr

Bacchetta Strada 2007
    Sram X-0 shifters and rear derailleur PG-990 cassette
    225lb worn old motor
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1