Hot!ROLL CALL!

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 33
Author
keithwilliams
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points: 0
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/10/03 21:48:26 (permalink)
Keith here from Vermont. At 51, a genuine FOG! Started on a Ryan Vanguard about 10 years ago and have owned (among others) a V-Rex, a Vision R-82 Tandem, a OE Troika Tandem trike and a Greenspeed GTE trike before getting my Strada a couple of weeks ago. Really enjoying the Strada but there's not much riding season left up here before the cold and the snow come.
StevenHand
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/10/07 17:43:19 (permalink)
Steve Hand, 42, here in sunny San Jose. Found and joined this group moments ago. Commuted 11 miles to work for first time today on a barely used Strada w/Carbon seat. A day of firsts! I knew it was the right bike for me on the first test ride. The commute was easier than I expected, except for all those pesky cars on Lawrence Expressway. A DF rider had a very tough time keeping up with me (avg'ed 17mph) - now that put a grin on my face:) I'm looking forward to accumulating the miles and meeting other bent people.
Sputnick
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/10/12 06:30:19 (permalink)
Glenn Druery
Sydney Australia
Velokraft No Com
[image]local://upfiles/813/67C74D92C71F470FA9FD24C2A9F2F4A3.jpg[/image]
Optima Baron
VaMoots SL Road Bike
KHS MTB
Soon a Tandem and maybe one of those High Racer Recumbents, any advice as to which one I should look at?

Glenn
post edited by Sputnick - 2005/10/12 06:43:24

Attached Image(s)

eda
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/10/20 23:03:30 (permalink)
I'm near Wichita, KS. I recently got my first Bacchetta from the Hub Bicycle Shop in Hays, KS from John and Sara Kay. Sara Kay sold me my Giro 20, actually the Giro sold it'self to me. I rode a Rans Rocket and a V-Rex, a Lightning, a Sun Easy Racer similar to a V-Rex, Several Burleys, But the Giro just seemed to fit me. I like the tweener bars, the seat, handling, components and it just looks cool!!!
I love the Giro 20, but it is still competing with my other bikes for riding time.
I retired from teaching in May and just turned 60. I'm within about 1 mph of the average speed with my road bike. I've done four group rides of 60 miles or so with it. I'm still uncomfortable riding it in town, so most of my riding on it has been road miles away from heavy traffic. I'm thinking about doing BAK with it in 2006.
I enjoying getting to meet John S. and seeing his Race Across America Bacchetta.

Other Bikes:
Schwinn Moab S
Schwinn Paramount
Schwinn Moab Disc
Electra Townie 3S
Nirve John Deere Cruiser
And the best til last, "Bacchetta Giro 20"
John Schlitter
  • Total Posts : 2536
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/10/20 23:48:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Sputnick

Glenn Druery
Sydney Australia
Velokraft No Com
Optima Baron
VaMoots SL Road Bike
KHS MTB
Soon a Tandem and maybe one of those High Racer Recumbents, any advice as to which one I should look at?

Glenn

ah, how about a Carbon Aero? What else in high racers is there to look? I would say Bacchetta's are race proven.

JS
John Schlitter
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/10/20 23:50:17 (permalink)
Ed, good to see you get signed in. What a small world, this guy had to put up for years, of my sister using his paper cutter at school.

John Schlitter
ORIGINAL: eda

I'm near Wichita, KS. I recently got my first Bacchetta from the Hub Bicycle Shop in Hays, KS from John and Sara Kay. Sara Kay sold me my Giro 20, actually the Giro sold it'self to me. I rode a Rans Rocket and a V-Rex, a Lightning, a Sun Easy Racer similar to a V-Rex, Several Burleys, But the Giro just seemed to fit me. I like the tweener bars, the seat, handling, components and it just looks cool!!!
I love the Giro 20, but it is still competing with my other bikes for riding time.
I retired from teaching in May and just turned 60. I'm within about 1 mph of the average speed with my road bike. I've done four group rides of 60 miles or so with it. I'm still uncomfortable riding it in town, so most of my riding on it has been road miles away from heavy traffic. I'm thinking about doing BAK with it in 2006.
I enjoying getting to meet John S. and seeing his Race Across America Bacchetta.

Other Bikes:
Schwinn Moab S
Schwinn Paramount
Schwinn Moab Disc
Electra Townie 3S
Nirve John Deere Cruiser
And the best til last, "Bacchetta Giro 20"
Sputnick
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/10/21 22:38:51 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: John Schlitter

ORIGINAL: Sputnick

Glenn Druery
Sydney Australia
Velokraft No Com
Optima Baron
VaMoots SL Road Bike
KHS MTB

Glenn

ah, how about a Carbon Aero? What else in high racers is there to look? I would say Bacchetta's are race proven.

JS

Actually today I was doing a ride on my road bike and I was thinking maybe a Carbon Aero could be a bita fun... mmmmmmm

Do you have a spec list for the bike?
post edited by Sputnick - 2005/10/21 22:41:50

Attached Image(s)

Hills are my friends
John Schlitter
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/10/22 10:15:00 (permalink)
Glenn, current spec that is shown in the new brochure is the current Aero spec. BUT we will offer frame set s and do have intentions of doing a different spec.

According to the Carbon Aero beta testers they're 2 mph faster then on their Aero's. Which if tha tis the case we would have bet those youngesters on them up rights at RAAM if we would have been on Carbon Aeros righttttttttttttttttttt for sureeeeeeeee

I have started putting time on a Carbon Aero and first impression are good. No hard data to say if faster for me.

JS
derailer
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/10/25 15:48:57 (permalink)
Tom Keitel, Basehor KS. Posting as a new owner of a Strada. Purchased on the 15th from The Bike Barn in Ogden IA. Highly recommend Doug Nebbe, he was most accomodating and helpful. Had to drive over 200 miles from here to find a dealer as KC area has no REAL Bacchetta dealer.

Couldn't be happier with the bike. Also ride a Haluzak Horizon and Double Vision. This is a new experience and am still in the learning curve.
Hal Church
  • Total Posts : 76
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/10/30 21:35:36 (permalink)
My name is Hal Church and I live in Colorado Springs. I'm 58 years old and getting back into cycling after laying off for a couple of years. Currently have a custom Giro 20 and a Rans V-Rex as well as several wedgies, including a Santana tandem.

The Giro 20 was built from a raw, large frame under the mentoring of John Cunningham. Parts list includes Rocket shifters, XT V-Brakes, "stiffie" steering riser, XT rear derailleur, 105 front derailleur, and Thracian front 20" wheel. I started with a carbon fiber seat, but have recently switched to the Euro Mesh and like it much better. It's more comfortable, quiter, and has water bottle attachments. I'm thinking about a lighter rear wheel in the near future. This bike currently weighs 28 pounds.

Previous recumbents include: a Burley Limbo, a Longbikes Slipstream, a Strada, and an Aero. I know that you are thinking I was crazy to give up the Aero, but I just don't really like the high racer position--I filled up with air and my wife made me sleep in the basement. Seriously, I'm more interested in distance with comfort rather than ultimate speed.

I hope that Bacchetta will make an aluminum or carbon 26/20 frame in the future.
sloji
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/10/30 22:15:59 (permalink)
Hello Bacchetta folks! I've been training on bikes for five months and have ridden about 2500 miles so far. I've owned a Velokraft Vk2, a carbon low race and four months ago I bought a Calfee Stiletto, a carbon long wheel based faired/socked easy racers style bike, on the used market. Both bikes are fast and fun and have different personalities. To pick one would be to miss out on a very different experience in the other. I'm still intrigued by high racers but haven't tried one...yet!
The debates about which bikes are fastest is funny:put Hans Wessels or John Schlitter or Jim Verheul on nearly any bike and they'd be fast and the proof was last years Wasco Wild West Race with many great times on a variety of bikes. As a bentrider said "the best bike is the one you'll ride", in my case then it would be the one I'd ride that day!

Michael
post edited by sloji - 2006/05/09 21:10:52
timmy
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/11/04 15:36:52 (permalink)
Tim Harper, Bartlesville, OK. Rheology Technician (don't ask). Bi-athlete, biking in the warm months, beer drinking in the cold months. Built a 2004 and a half, Chetta Giro 20 as a kit from Calhoun Cyclery (nice folks.) Powdercoated it fluorecent orange. Have an Avid ball bearing 7 disc up front and a set of Odyssey A brakes on back. All the decals are on and it looks great. Been riding it this year because it's so much faster than my LoGo trike, but I still love tooling around on the trike a lot more, especially uphill. Have only hit stall speed once on the Giro, going up a long and fairly steep hill. No damage to me or the bike. Will probably sell my Trek 1400 as I never ride it anymore. Every year I do Oklahoma FreeWheel, a cross state tour that varies from year to year. I also do the MS 150 each year and several of the local "T-shirt" rides so I can keeep my waredrobe stocked. I'm 46, divorced on good terms, and have two wonderful daughters that I have introduced to cycling. They still do it the old fashioned "up wrong" way. Some day they'll come around. That's me.
Tim
Tom Swift
  • Total Posts : 399
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/11/08 04:38:57 (permalink)
[
Hal Church
  • Total Posts : 76
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/11/12 20:08:52 (permalink)
Hal Church here, again. Still in Colo Spgs (lots of hills).

Didn't think it would happen, but, I just ordered a Corsa high racer. This comes on the heels of selling my Aero, thinking I just didn't like the high bottom bracket/cranks.

Did some test rides, including roll downs, on John Cunningham's Corsa. I was sold! I love the black frame color and the components. The bike is very fast! Best of all was the Euro Mesh seat. It is a very comfortable ride, even with 650s at 110 psi. Bacchetta has so many winners that it is difficult to choose. I'm still keeping my custom Giro for around town and possibly for touring.

Never say never. Didn't think I would ever want a black bike; but the black Corsa is the sexiest recumbent I have ever seen. Love the black Gossamer cranks. It will be perfect right out of the box, with just a cyclocomputer added. Thanks, Bacchetta!!!
Look out wedgies. Oops, still keeping my Litespeed, but not riding it much. :^)
biker2381
  • Total Posts : 434
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/11/26 16:25:10 (permalink)
Brian Liebl , Ft. Myers, FL 47 y.o.
I've been averaging 6000 miles per year for the last 15 years on a titanium upright doing mostly fast group rides. We do a metric century every Sat. AM followed by 40 miles on Sunday.
I bought a Strada and went cold turkey one month ago. I feel that once I get used to one position on one bike, that it would be counter productive to switch back and forth between bikes.
I heard that it takes 3 months to become accostomed to the new(recumbent) position before I can get back my old strenghth. Is that true? My abdomen muscles and glutes ache as I'm sure I'm using them more now. I've come a long way in one month in terms of feeling comfortable and relaxed.
My goal is to get faster. I plan to swap out my recurve seat(which is very comfortable) for a euromesh and give that a try. I think that for most of the year it may be too hot for a hardshell?
I would appreciate any ideas for improving my speed (which is currently about the same where it was before)
Thanks
Also, our big event here, is the Tour De Cape in mid January. it is 40, 62 or 100 miles on lightly travelled roads with full support. I would enjoy seeing other Bacchettas out there.
kgintune
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/11/26 23:29:24 (permalink)
My name is Matt and I am 43 years old. I live in Portland, Oregon. I have a few nice bikes but my favorite is my Giro 26, that is now also a Giro 650 disk. I love tweaking. I run it as a commuter on the weekdays and as a go fast racer on the weekends. I just put bar end shifters on it, to go with the new XTR derailleur. The wheels are Velocity Deep Vee 650s matched to XTR disk hubs. These wheels offer a narrower bead than the 26 inch mountain bike type wheels that where on it. 650 also offers more choices in performance type tires. Also it has a 56 tooth ring up front to offer a little taller gearing when ripping down mountains when my aero gear is on. Front fairing is from Mueller and the tail-sock is from Terra Cycle. Speaking of Terra Cycle, I also have an idler and under seat racks from them. With the disk brakes I can run th 26 wheels with fat tires for touring and commuting or 650s for speed and club rides.
My neighbor calls this my Franken bike. What ever it is, I know it is fast and fun.
clee01l
  • Total Posts : 1459
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/11/27 08:07:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: biker2381

Brian Liebl , Ft. Myers, FL 47 y.o.
I've been averaging 6000 miles per year for the last 15 years on a titanium upright doing mostly fast group rides. We do a metric century every Sat. AM followed by 40 miles on Sunday...
I heard that it takes 3 months to become accostomed to the new(recumbent) position before I can get back my old strenghth. Is that true?
The way I like to describe it is that it takes about 2000 miles. How long you take to get the 2000 mile in is up to you.

My goal is to get faster. I plan to swap out my recurve seat(which is very comfortable) for a euromesh and give that a try. I think that for most of the year it may be too hot for a hardshell?
The Carbon fiber seat is not too hot for Texas or Florida. The Euromesh is beter ventilated and you will appreciated that more from April to October. Drain holes are a must for the carbon fiber seat though.

I would appreciate any ideas for improving my speed (which is currently about the same where it was before)
Building mileage is best. After that work on replacing energy robbing parts of the bike like the Recurve seat, lower quality wheels, hubs and wider tires

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Aero24
Bacchetta Giro
Lightning Voyager
http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -
QBabe
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/11/27 09:28:01 (permalink)
Hi! I'm Tonia from Alachua, FL. I'm hoping to join the ranks of recumbent riders very soon.

I'm 43 years old and am pretty much a novice bike rider. I've had my share of bikes in the past, but have always been a bit balance challenged, so am not a particularly confident rider. Because of some hip and low back issues, I've been in physical therapy for a while and I was first introduced to recumbents via an exercise bike as part of my PT. I LOVED the recumbent exerciser, and eventually bought one for home.

Being an outside girl, I began to wish for a "real" recumbent and started doing some homework via the web. Found that there aren't a lot of dealers here in my area who know much about recumbents, so I started looking further afield. I asked around at my local cycling club (Gainesville Cycling Club) and was told to see Mark at Power-On Cycling in Plant City if I wanted someone who specialized in recumbents. I just spend half a day with Mark who showed me 4 or 5 different 'bents. I was able to get a good feel for what I liked and what I didn't like and it was wonderful having a good selection to compare. I really liked the Giro 20 and am leaning towards it (can't afford the Aero Basso, yet).

Looking forward to this new adventure!

Tonia
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..." ~~ Dr. Suess
biker2381
  • Total Posts : 434
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/11/27 21:20:14 (permalink)
Thanks for the advice,Cletus. I'll let you know how I progress. Actually, first on my list is to get a cyclometer which indicates cadence.
I read in the Bacchetta website that my torso angle should be 28 deg. or flatter to be aerodynamic, I need to work on reclining more, also.
Brian
kajakkid
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/12/02 19:09:18 (permalink)
I'm Swede Larsen, 73, Morro Bay, Ca. "kajakkid" is kind of a "BOO...YAY" story...My doc. advised me that it was no longer very smart for me to be playing in the ocean...because either a heart attack or stroke would almost certainly be "kiss your a.. goodbye" time! So I was forced to look for another fun thing to do...I hadn't been able to ride my Cinelli since about 1990. It is a full Campy...made for me in Milano in 1955 for $75!!! It was the first "10 speed" in Boulder, Co...THEN, four years ago, I discovered the recumbent world. Living on Gardner Martin's side of the world...the Left Coast...I naturally chose a GRR as my first Bent...Love it dearly but I needed a lighter bike to help me keep up with my wife on these hills (which seem to keep getting steeper with each birthday)...Kelvin @ Angletech fixed me up with a beautiful AERO fitted with some good hill-climbing gears...Now I'm looking for someone to make me a cassette with a "corncob" inside gearing...11/13/15/16/17/18/21/24/28...Anyone know if that is possible?
post edited by kajakkid - 2005/12/02 19:15:43

SWEDE LARSEN
AERO
GRR
Morro Bay Ca
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 33
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1