Hot!ROLL CALL!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 33
Author
BirdieMama
  • Total Posts : 2544
  • Reward points: 0
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/07/26 01:56:09 (permalink)
Greetings Everyone!

I am a 56-year young 12-year cancer survivor. I had connective tissue cancer (fibro sarcoma) in 1993 and lost most of the trapezius muscle in my left shoulder and a good-sized chunk of my left lung, too. I've been riding since I was 8 years old, so the cancer created a need for me to ride more upright/with flat bars, since one shoulder is very weak. I got tired of snobby roadies not even giving me the time of day since I was on a "hybrid" (it is a good road bike... just has flat bars), so I did the stupid thing and tried to go back to drop bars this past April to "fit in" (like who should care?). The result was nearly disasterous to my left side and I lost 75% use of my left hand in a very short period of time. How I did that is another story for another post, let's just say it really, really hurt. That's what I get for not just saying to hell with the snobs and just being "me". So... a nerve conduction study, several hand surgeons consultations and a diagnosis of "Guyon's canal syndrome" ... and two surgeries later, here I am. The nerve conduction doctor and one of the hand surgeons (both serious cyclists) said "You really ought to think about riding a recumbent, at least most of the time." I had been very intriqued by 'bents for years, but just before all of this hand-business, a friend back east told me about the Bacchetta. With the doctor's suggestions and her email in my memory, I started doing a bit of research and I am now the proud owner of an Aero! Bianca Bacchetta is sitting in my living room awaiting my stitches coming out this Thursday and then "she" and I are off to a nearby huge parking lot for lots of practice.

I do most of the big century and mult-day rides in the Pacific Northwest from Tour de Blast, Torture 10,000, Cycle Oregon, STP... you name it. I rode 4,000 miles in 9 months last year, all while working full time and taking care of my home single-handed. Hill climbing tips would be cool. I never have stood to climb except once in a great while, so I'm not going to be missing that on the Aero. I am a slow rider because I'm missing part of a lung (and I'm not exactly young!), but I'm otherwise fit and I always get to my destination.

I have only previously ridden one 'bent one time so I know there is going to be real learning curve - a lot of it mental as I ride in a whole new position. Any and all suggestions any of you can think of are MOST welcomed!

Marilyn ('bent, but not broken) Hayward

"It's a beautiful day for a ride;
you know you wanna come along!
It's a beautiful day outside;
the air will do you good!"

The Jellydots

TEAM BACCHETTA
john c
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/07/26 04:09:10 (permalink)
Wow Merilyn, to say you are a surviver is an understatement. You have grit and determination! An inspiration to us all. I am in the Portland area, and have lots of bent experience. If you need some pointers with regards to the Aero let me know. We can get together for a ride or two. I am planning on being at the torture 10000 as well, so I will keep my eyes open. This Thursday there is a 40k time trial if you are up to it. Real flat, and the best part is it's $1 (yes, thats right, one dollar). There is a bent class!!! Real nice group of folks that just want to have fun.

http://vancouverbicycleclub.com/trials.html

Cheers,
John Climaldi
Zach
  • Total Posts : 861
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/07/26 13:10:19 (permalink)
Marilyn, quite a story. I went to your website and read about your experience overcoming the cancer. Did we meet at a rest stop on STP this year when you asked about my yellow Radical Solo seat bag?

Zach Kaplan Cycles
510-522-BENT (2368)
zach@zachkaplancycles.com
http://www.zachkaplancycles.com
BirdieMama
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/07/26 23:03:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: john c

Wow Merilyn, to say you are a surviver is an understatement. You have grit and determination! An inspiration to us all. I am in the Portland area, and have lots of bent experience. If you need some pointers with regards to the Aero let me know. We can get together for a ride or two. I am planning on being at the torture 10000 as well, so I will keep my eyes open. This Thursday there is a 40k time trial if you are up to it. Real flat, and the best part is it's $1 (yes, thats right, one dollar). There is a bent class!!! Real nice group of folks that just want to have fun.

http://vancouverbicycleclub.com/trials.html

Cheers,
John Climaldi

Thanks for the kind words, John! Yes, "grit" seems to be my middle name. Ha! Ha! Do you know Dave Van Gundy? He tells me I am the Energizer Bunny - I just keep going and going and going... when a lot of people tell me I shouldn't be able to. If nothing else, I'm feisty!

I'd love to do the 40k on Thursday, but I need to get my sea legs on my new flying machine! I am going to take it out for it's first spin (and mine) this Friday, after I get the stitches out of my hand and elbow on the very same Thursday as the 40k. I would love to get together for a ride sometime! My home email address is birdiemama@comcast.net. I live in Tigard. I'll bet we've seen each other on rides - I have been riding a black Motobecane and have a small red stuffed-toy parrot hanging out of my CamelBak. My "mojo".

The Jellydots

TEAM BACCHETTA
BirdieMama
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/07/26 23:07:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Zach

Marilyn, quite a story. I went to your website and read about your experience overcoming the cancer. Did we meet at a rest stop on STP this year when you asked about my yellow Radical Solo seat bag?

That was indeed "me", Zach! I was so stoked to see Bacchettas I hope I didn't pester you too much with all of my questions. I felt llike (still feel like) a kid in a toy shop in awe of all the cool bikes I'm suddenly "discovering" (that I just never really saw before)!

I'm sure I'll be seeing you soon - as you go screaming by me like lightning! : -)

The Jellydots

TEAM BACCHETTA
jkeenan7
  • Total Posts : 1883
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/07/27 00:22:36 (permalink)
Yo BirdieMama,

Slow Joe, your "STP table recumbent discussion partner" here. Hiya and welcome!!!

Just had dinner with SLUG and Edna Sunday night. Heading to Maine and when I get back maybe we can hook up with JohnC, who is simply a great "rider host" and he can lead us around Portland for a Bacchetta Aero, Corsa, Strada ride. Now we just need to find someone with a 26/26 Giro!!

As for hills: Me still says switch out that 30 to a 26 or 24 and for sure the rear to an 11-32 or 11-34.

Hope you're signed up for the Recumbent Retreat.

To steal from Rand: Dry Roads and Tailwinds!!
post edited by jkeenan7 - 2005/07/27 00:25:27
BirdieMama
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/07/27 00:59:42 (permalink)
Yo Joe-Recumbo!

Great hearing from you! I had a great STP, how 'bout you? As for a group bent ride, I am with you and John C. in a heartbeat!

The 11 x 34 is on order for the Aero and Coventry will call me when it arrives for a while-you-wait swap out.

I was signed up to do RAW on my Motobecane, but the hand surgery has pretty much nixed that. - 500 miles of pressure on a newly cut hand... uh...no thank you. I don't think I'll have the confidence and/or the 'bent muscles to do a 500 mile ride in only three weeks, either. So, I am going to call Cascade and cancel my RAW registration tomorrow morning. I've been in contact with them about it since just before my surgery- they've got a waiting list, so I am "only" out $100 of the cost.

RAW is the same timeframe as the recumbent rally, so I am planning to come on up there and at least hang out for one overnight brain-picking session and merriment... don't leave out the merriment!!!

Hope to see you all soon!
Marilyn
john c
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/07/27 12:07:33 (permalink)
Of course I know slug! Doesn't everyone within 250 miles of Portland? Monday is my early work day, so a Bacchetta tour of Portland would be great any Monday. Joe is a great host as well, so between the three of us we should have a lot to gab about. Glad to see you are going to do the recumbent retreat! Cycle Oregon too?

John C
BirdieMama
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/07/27 21:35:53 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: john c

Of course I know slug! Doesn't everyone within 250 miles of Portland? Monday is my early work day, so a Bacchetta tour of Portland would be great any Monday. Joe is a great host as well, so between the three of us we should have a lot to gab about. Glad to see you are going to do the recumbent retreat! Cycle Oregon too?

John C

Hi John!

A lot of what I ride will depend on how quickly I get up to speed in the balance-department on my new steed - I want to feel in control when I get out on busy roads, especially with other cyclists. I get my stitches out of my hand & elbow tomorrow and then my second bent ride EVER (on my shiny new Aero) will begin on Friday, after work, in the safety of Tektronix's large, mostly deserted parking lot in Beaverton . My only bent ride, to-date, has been on a Burley Koosah...BIG difference. I am excited and a little bit antsy, too! My biggest goal right now is to keep it upright and get used to it! I should probably sell tickets to watch this event - maybe I could get one of you to ride on each side of me...kinda like training wheels? No? Darn.

What a great group this is! : -)
Marilyn
john c
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/07/28 00:05:14 (permalink)
If you want "human training wheels" let me know. I get off work at 3:00 on Friday and can take the Max to your place with the Corsa. (I work in the Lloyd area close to Max). Starting with an Aero for a first bike is not a problem, just a little more of a learning curve then a low bottom bracket bike. It might make for a faster learning experience, and you can learn from my mistakes!

John C
guy smalley
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/08/01 19:52:45 (permalink)
Hi,
I bought my Aero 21/2 years ago at bicycle outfitters but live in the mountains of NC. I have race uprights for years til about 4 years ago that year I did 12000 miles in one year then i hurt my back doing yard work! could hardly ride for a half hour. I thought I had to give up riding. I test rode the Aero and now I am back to riding about 125 miles a week with no back pain!! I am 52 and surprize bent riders every day. I am a cartoonist and travel 9 months of the year in our Blue bird wanderlodge we follow the good riding seasons all over the country. see it and my website under "about guy".
I have put a set of hed3 wheels & love them

=guysmalley
http://www.guysmalley.com
Zach
  • Total Posts : 861
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/08/03 03:43:05 (permalink)
Nice setup, Guy. When I was a kid I'd occassionally see a Blue Bird Wanderlodge and even then it was clear to me these were way higher quality than all the other motorhomes on the road at that time. I decided I wanted one back then but since then my tastes changed to the more aerodynamic big window European look. You are living my dream of being able to make money while living a nomadic lifestyle. I've thought about taking my shop on the road in a motorhome but due to the nature of this business that would be difficult and I am pretty well established in the SF Bay Area and know lots of people here. So I just take road trips here and there. For the past couple years I've been driving a customer's GMC motorhome to and from Burning Man for him and will be going there again in that capacity in a few weeks for another unpaid vacation.

Zach Kaplan Cycles
510-522-BENT (2368)
zach@zachkaplancycles.com
http://www.zachkaplancycles.com
Dennishg
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/08/08 22:06:44 (permalink)
I'm a newcomer. Have been looking for several weeks and just gave the 'thumbs up' on a new Strada with the M5 seat at St. Louis Recumbents. Plan to pick it up this weekend and start riding. Tried it out this past Saturday and was hooked from the start. Tested several others recently, Burley, Rans, Cycle Genius, Sun, but the look and ride of the Strada was my pick. I'll update with my progress as I get some miles in the saddle.

Dennis
Strada
markw
  • Total Posts : 511
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/08/23 16:44:27 (permalink)
Just picked up a new Strada yesterday at Alan's Family Bikes in Oceanside California. I had never seen a Bachetta before this years RAAM. Then I got to see one stranded at the side of the road with a flat, and further down the road there was a guy waiting for a hand off on another Aero. :) Needless to say, they got the tire situation fixed, and I did notice they made it across town pretty darn quick. I'd been eyeballing recumbents for awhile and had test ridden a rans rocket, F5, and Vrex. Also had ridden a Vision, plus a bentech homebuilt. Took a couple rides on the Strada, and picked one up. So far I did 2 miles last night, then decided to commute it 18 miles this morning. So far I'm enjoying it, and am looking forward to some upcoming time trials at Fiesta Island in the next month to see if I can break a 30min 20k.
Crit Rider
  • Total Posts : 1921
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/08/23 19:59:34 (permalink)
Hi Mark,
If you saw a old green Jetta and a Red CRV chasing around the bent teams that was Dana, Stan and I. We leap frogged them all the way to El Centro, also known as The Oven.

30 minutes eh? You must be a strong rider. I'll try to make it down to Fiesta Island on 10/9. Do you ever come farther north for rides/centuries?

Seeya at the TT,
markw
  • Total Posts : 511
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/08/23 21:33:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Crit Rider

Hi Mark,
If you saw a old green Jetta and a Red CRV chasing around the bent teams that was Dana, Stan and I. We leap frogged them all the way to El Centro, also known as The Oven.

30 minutes eh? You must be a strong rider. I'll try to make it down to Fiesta Island on 10/9. Do you ever come farther north for rides/centuries?

Seeya at the TT,

I probably saw you guys. I was in a little black Honda Civic. The RAAM goes right by my house, so I was checking out the bent's. :) Saw the whole first stage flat tire thing unfold, and I actually had 700c tubes in the car, I would've stopped and given him one if they were riding 700's. Didn't own a bent yet, so no 650c stuff.

I did something dumb today, I bought the Strada last night, put 2 miles on it riding it by the house, then said... "Hey, I should ride this in tomorrow." 18.6 mile 1 way commute over Mission Gorge hill. So, now I'm a hurting unit, as the bent muscles aren't conditioned like the DF ones. :) All will be well though, gotta get the bent muscles in shape. 27 on the flats wasn't hard to do in the morning, afternoon ride home was another story. I think it does need more gear though. I'll see what I can dig up.

Goal is 30 minutes, last fall I did 35:06 but lost time to swelling feet. Never snug the straps on your shoes before you start. Realistically I could've pulled a 33 something. I'll be down there tomorrow evening seeing what it will do while my daughter practices on her DF with the Juniors. Getting passed 2 times by Dean Pederson in his "Coyote" made a light go off.

Mark
post edited by markw - 2005/08/23 21:35:39
art.in.memphis
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/08/28 18:51:08 (permalink)
Art Murphy, Memphis, TN., age 51, retired, riding a Strada, which I bought from Jim @ Ride South, Jackson, MS. I ride 5 days a week - weather permitting. I do a century every year just to say that I did. ::: grins :::

http://www.sharetheroadmidsouth.org/
mlundquist
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/08/30 22:18:23 (permalink)
I'm newly bent! I just bought my first bent, a 2005 Strada today. I was lucky enough to get out for a short ride before the remnents of the hurricane blew through. I can't wait to ride into work tomorrow.

-Mark
sdf
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/10/03 20:12:38 (permalink)
Same Steve Fuhrmann in Monument, CO. Changed login from ColoradoSteve to sdf because there is another Steve just down the road who also is a member of Bacchetta discussion forum.

Ride Happy!

Steve Fuhrmann, '07 Corsa
Monument, Colorado
nednerb1
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/10/03 21:34:15 (permalink)
Brenden here from Upstate New York. I bought a 26" Giro in July. My job location recently changed allowing me to commute on the bike. I take the scenic route along the Erie canal path, which is about 13 miles round trip. I'm pretty new to consistent cycling, previously having been a casual mountain biker. Now I'm riding six days a week and I love it. I'll be 32 on Wednesday and I have to say that getting this bike is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I'm exercising, I'm saving gas, and I ride to work in a bathing suit when it rains. I'm having a lot of fun.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 33
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1