Hot!ROLL CALL!

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 30 of 33
Author
rico_mack
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points: 0
Re: RE: ROLL CALL! 2013/03/04 08:06:36 (permalink)
Howdy folks,
Been lurking around for a while and posted a few times asking newbie type questsions.  Thanks to the folks including Bacchetta office for answering my sometimes lame questions.

I like WesSC an new rider also with a new to me 09 Corsa 650 with Sram 10sp.  Great bent for a  newbie since the BB is not too high.  Still sorting out getting the right fit but I can tell I didn't make a mistake.  This puppy is fast!  Too bad it has an older model engine.

Vanagod
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: RE: ROLL CALL! 2013/03/08 22:56:45 (permalink)
This is my first post on the Bacchetta forum. I just bought a lightly used Cafe a month ago and I use it for lunch break exercising. I used a nice older steel Bianchi (which I miss) before, but complications from my vasectomy left me feeling like I got kicked in the nether regions after even 10 miles (and this was after a couple months recovery too).

I am starting to get my bent legs, but I was still faster on my DF at my peak last year. By the end of last summer I was able to do a hilly 14 mile loop averaging just over 17 mph. Today on my Cafe (which is about 10-12 pounds heavier) I averaged just over 16. Stay in the saddle an I think I'll be right back where I was before. This thing is definitely faster going down hills than my DF - easily 10%.

I am looking forward to doing some longer rides this spring and summer, like some local metric centuries. Last year I did the Seattle to Portland, and would love to do it again, but this year won't work.

Oh, some personal stats. I am almost 33, a mechanical engineer and live in beautiful southern Oregon. I bought the bike as a consignment from Spin Cycles in Grants Pass.

Now I dream of ways to mod this ride, but I'll leave that for the tech forum.
timturner
  • Total Posts : 1379
Re: RE: ROLL CALL! 2013/03/08 23:03:41 (permalink)
Memorial day weekend in Portland.
Come check it out.
ohpv.org

Welcome to the b-club :-)

T
thosemeggisons
  • Total Posts : 311
Re: RE: ROLL CALL! 2013/03/09 08:38:09 (permalink)
Vanagod,
Welcome to the family.
You will be truly amazed with the bent given some "break in time" I've been riding DF bikes for most of my life. After suffering from many surgeries (Orthopedic) I started switching over to my Bacchetta Corsa. The bestt thing that happened to me was a recent hand/ thumb joint reconstruction. Due to that,,, I had to pull the bent out of my garage and start some re-trainiing.  Being a spry 70 year old, I'm up to about 100 miles a week, and can now average 17-18 MPH. (a bit slower than my road bike)
Good luck!!!

capecodsmoker
Egore
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RE: ROLL CALL! 2013/03/12 18:59:42 (permalink)
I'm new to the game here in Recumbent land.  Just purchased a Corsa 700 last Fall and at first hated it.  Didn't know how to start the durn thing, and once going my luck would be that I would hit a red light intersection!  Probably needed the 650 wheels after all, but this Spring I have fallen in love with the bike.  My upright sits in the corner of the room hoping to get ridden, but never does as of late.
 I am 62 and an Material Engineer for a large naval shipbuilding company here in Pascagoula, Mississippi.  Not many bent riders here on the coast, where it is flat and nice to ride, although a bit windy at times!  But each ride is a new adventure and my arthritis in the knees and back is lessening because of the ride in two ways.  It is comfortable and the movement is beneficial to me.  And i can now keep up with most of the club guys...some I never will, even if the bike were powered by gas, but I am fine with that. 
 And funny thing, every time the wind is blowing hard and I ease past many of the riders, they all come up at the end of the ride asking one question after another.   Thanks for the forum and all the info you guys give.
Kenny Herbert
  • Total Posts : 13
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/03/21 01:50:03 (permalink)
Not even a newbie. I am in the market for my first recumbent, and all signs point to Bacchetta, so I thought I'd come here and speak to those who actually use them.

I used to ride a lot (min. 5000 miles a year, and often double that), but I’ve ridden sporadically over the past 10-12 years. I'm freeing up time-wise, so of course I’m interested in putting in more time in the saddle, and even thinking of getting my brevet next year, laid back, if possible.

Here are my main questions, Bacchetta-philes:

First, while it appears the Carbon Aero 2.0 is THE ride to get, is the price really justified over the Strata and Corsa? Obviously, a few pounds is a few pounds, but is it a noticeable few pounds, if you know what I mean? Are there other noticeable differences? I'll gladly pay for value, I just want to make sure it's value and not simply mark-up.

Second, to anyone who has ridden any of those AND ridden any of the touring bikes (Giro et al.), is there a substantial sacrifice in comfort moving to the performance bikes? I read a post where one of you said the CA 2.0 will serve another well on a 1200K randonnee. To me, anything that can service a rider for 1200K is certainly comfortable enough for me already.

Lastly, if you’re like me and the nearest Bacchetta dealer is 200 miles away, have you had any problems getting your bike serviced locally?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you may have to offer.

Kenny
kbarkalo
  • Total Posts : 170
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/03/21 04:49:05 (permalink)
Kenny,
I have previously owned a Corsa (650) and now have CA2.0 (700, carbon seat).
Both bikes were fast and comfortable. I feel that the CA2.0 allowed me more distance and was faster (your results may vary). Three years ago I had some weekend time and did 13 centuries (miles), 50% of that was on trails. I've never been fast and I don't mind stopping to see the scenery (deer, turkeys, cranes, leaves, etc.), so speed isn't the top of my priorities.
My Corsa was great, but I love my CA2.0. Both are good bikes.
Wishing for some outside riding time in frozen WI.
Keith B

Keith B.
CA2.0
william
  • Total Posts : 107
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/03/21 09:55:21 (permalink)
Hello,

The difference in the ride with the carbon will be a better ride in regards to the bumps and rough roads.  I believe this makes a difference on those looooooonger rides.  My opinion.

William

Thank you,

William Sullivan
Lets Ride !
Chuggs
  • Total Posts : 43
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/03/21 15:06:27 (permalink)
Hi, I'm Charlie...a new Corsa 700C owner.

First, I want to say Thank You! Thanks to Bike Works Orlando East...Thanks to the Bacchetta Owner that happened to take Tri-Rail with his polished, q-ring Bacchetta on Saturday, 9FEB2013...and Thanks to all of you for contributing to this forum. A newbie like me has a lot of learning to do from your experience.

I'm 53...have BPH...and experience numbness where my body meats the bicycle. I started a major lifestyle change last June...I was 246lbs...out of shape...and had high cholesterol. I changed my diet...and started riding my Downtube folding bike for exercise. My wife convinced me to get something better suited for my exercise...so in October, I purchased a Mountain Bike. I kinda peaked at 10 mile rides because of hand numbness, and seat discomfort.

I saw my first Bacchetta while commuting to work. I was intrigued. The gentleman told me something to the effect that if he didn't ride recumbent...he probably wouldn't be riding anymore.

I thought I would look into this bike as a possibility. I was toying with the idea of a road bike with aerobars to help with the hand numbness...but everyone told me how my neck and back would suffer. I read some reviews on the Bacchetta...they said that it was squirrelly and hard to start...but I figured I would test ride one, and decide for myself. I got a chance while on a short family trip to Orlando. Bike Works let me take a couple of their Bacchettas for a test ride. I was basically there to convince myself that this was a crazy idea. Instead, I fell in love immediately. I came back and purchased the Corsa on 4MAR...and have put just over 200 miles on it so far. My longest ride, so far, was 40.4 miles...and my limit was reached because of my bladder...instead of numb hands or sore bottom.

Now, I'm dreaming of Century's, Brevets, and enjoying the picturesque views --- best enjoyed from a laid back perspective.

In my short time as a cyclist...I've lost 60lbs, and my cholesterol has dropped significantly...drug free!

My Bacchetta has made my fitness routine into something so much more than just pleasurable...It's wicked awesome. I'm totally elated whenever I roll her out for my next adventure.

All the best...hope to meet you all in person someday when I get enough experience/speed/endurance to hang with this fantastic group!

Charlie
Kenny Herbert
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/03/22 02:34:46 (permalink)
Keith,
Thanks. That sounds like a positive endorsement. I've never ridden a carbon bike, but I will gladly spend for the value. Having had both kinds of seats, do you have a preference of seat (carbon or mesh)? Does one affect your stroke more than the other, or is it strictly a comfort factor? TIA for any input.
Kenny
Kenny Herbert
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/03/22 02:40:47 (permalink)
William,
I've never ridden a carbon. I thought carbon was stronger (good) but also stiffer (good and bad). Wouldn't that translate into feeling road imperfections more? Again, I don't know, I'm just wondering out loud. TIA.
Kenny
kbarkalo
  • Total Posts : 170
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/03/22 04:45:06 (permalink)
Kenny Herbert

Keith,
Thanks. That sounds like a positive endorsement. I've never ridden a carbon bike, but I will gladly spend for the value. Having had both kinds of seats, do you have a preference of seat (carbon or mesh)? Does one affect your stroke more than the other, or is it strictly a comfort factor? TIA for any input.
Kenny

Kenny,
My Corsa 650 had a mesh seat; my CA2.0 700 has a carbon seat.
I was comfortable in both.  You can adjust the mesh seat a little by reinstalling the tie wraps looser or tighter.  You'd need to buy the right size carbon seat.  Some have reported that when reclining the carbon seat very low, that the back of their legs hit the seat rim.  I guess I haven't reclined mine that far.  A reclined seat may require you to look at head rests; I bought an AeroDon.  You should try out both seat types to see how they fit you (you'll just HAVE to take a longer test ride ).  Everyone has their own 'comfort', so you'll just have to try both.
Also, the seat pad takes alot of the road vibration.
Again, both bikes are a good buy, depending upon what your goals are.
Take care,
Keith B
CA2.0
Tom A
  • Total Posts : 962
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/03/22 06:15:27 (permalink)
Kenny Herbert

William,
I've never ridden a carbon. I thought carbon was stronger (good) but also stiffer (good and bad). Wouldn't that translate into feeling road imperfections more? Again, I don't know, I'm just wondering out loud. TIA.
Kenny

No, it does not.  I have an older Strada, had a Corsa, and now ride a CA2.  The carbon soaks up the road imperfections better than either steel or aluminum.  My experience is that I am really no faster on the CA2 but the ride quality is a good bit better.  I have a Power On cycling carbon seat on the CA2, the same one that was on my Corsa.

'02 Orange Strada
'11 CA2-700
Tour Easy
Atlanta, GA
Kenny Herbert
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/03/22 12:46:34 (permalink)
I have to start planning my trip to the nearest Bacchetta dealer (I think it's central Mass.), because I'm definitely going to have to try them out. I've never spent five large on anything smaller than a car, so I'll be sure to give it a good test drive and try both seats.  Thanks!
Kenny
Kenny Herbert
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/03/22 12:53:46 (permalink)
"The carbon soaks up the road imperfections better than either steel or aluminum.  My experience is that I am really no faster on the CA2 but the ride quality is a good bit better." 
That's excellent news, and a very, VERY good reason to spend the extra money. I'm definitely looking forward to this. Thanks! 
One more question (for anyone): what is the learning curve for riding recumbent style? Days? Weeks? Months? I watched a couple youtube videos showing how to start a recumbent (both used the Fred Flinstone start), but neither was a high racer like the CA. Just curious. 
Kenny
post edited by Kenny Herbert - 2013/03/22 12:57:46
superj
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/03/25 19:05:29 (permalink)
hi guys,  my name is jason.

i recently purchased a used strada from a fellow rider in a group i ride with here in south texas. i had been riding for a few months to replace running after a miniscus injury but normal road bikes were killing my wrists.  i started reading about recumbents and purchased a home built for cheap but it was built using mountain bike gearing so i was top speed limited.  i was talking about it with the guy who leads our group and he mentioned me looking for a recumbent to another fella.  this other guy said he had this strada he purchased new from a dealer in austin a few years ago and if i would like to come check it out.  i googled bacchetta strada and was interested so i headed over and checked the bike out in person one day and fell in love on the first ride around the block.  picked it up for half the price of a new one and replaced a bent down tube and now have probably a bit over 1500 miles on the bike.  i normally put 100-150 a week on it and just finished the lbj100 (30 mile course) on it saturday.  my longest ride is 67 miles that was rained out :(

anyways,  i love this bike.  its got a curved mesh seat and (now) the new style two piece riser set up,  a bacchetta seat bag,  and currently is sporting my practice wheels (velocity deep v with gatorskins because of the rough horrible roads in the city i live in)  i also have the good looking black stock wheels that i run when i go to events.  

i work for the army and try to ride every day.  i also have a specialized expedition sport that has been converted to drop bars and friction shifters,  a 90 GT pro series,   and a bike-e.  but take a guess which bikes sit in the garage 99% of the time, ha ha ha.

i love my strada.

this is when i first got her

this is testing the seat in a more reclined position

post edited by superj - 2013/03/25 19:09:30
LSaupe
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/04/01 17:04:37 (permalink)
Larry S, Galway, NY (Southern Adirondack Region).  Been looking at recumbents for a few years (not to mention my Fiance rides a V-Rex).  I like the long wheelbase format and Just purchased a Bella.  Great bike so far, though the rides have been limited.  I bike to work in the summer (10 miles each way) plus weekend rides when I can.
BigSherm
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/04/09 15:12:55 (permalink)
Hi everyone!

I'm Scott Sherman. 44 years old, I'm a cropduster, and recently retired Army helicopter pilot. I live in Ventura County, CA. Yes, I've met JV!

In fact, he's why I'm here. I met him while out riding my Baron on PCH earlier this year, and we had such a good ride, I started looking into a Bacchetta.

Next thing I knew, I was invited to join Team Bacchetta!!!

Holy cow, what an honor! Even though I've never had a Bacchetta before, I knew of the team. Those guys and gals are pros, and fast! During my research into the B bikes, I learned more about them, and was impressed even more.

Anyway, I just completed my build and took it on just a couple good rides. It's a new Giro 700ATT frame with a Redline carbon disc fork, a Velokraft carbon seat, stiffy riser, Dura-Ace 10sp bar end shifters, Ultegra derailleurs, Mavic Crossride 700c wheels, and Hayes Stroker Trail hydraulic disc brakes! Think of it as a aluminum framed Corsa with disc brakes, and a sweet yellow and white paint job!

I've never seen a Bacchetta with hydraulics, surely they're out there? They perform superbly during the motorcycle-speed descents you can get into around here if you're willing to climb. One finger braking confidence. Plus, not braking with the rim means my new carbon wheels will never suffer from brake track wear! Those wheels should be here in a week or so, and I can not wait. Never seen a disc-braked Bacchetta with carbon wheels before, either. Am I going to be the only weirdo around here?

Anyway, just before I got the Giro, I completed my first double century at Solvang a few weeks ago. The Baron was good, but on big event rides, being up a little higher will let the roadies draft off me a little more, let me more easily talk to them, and generally let me integrate into the groups a little better.

The biggest difference, though, is faster climbing! The frame ahead of the fork on my new Giro is much stiffer than the Baron. Much less of my energy is going into flexing the boom, and a lot more going into the rear wheel while climbing now. Plus, the Giro weighs a lot less than the Baron!

I never dared commute to work, into the city, on my Baron, so I'm keeping a set of 32mm fat tires mounted on some heavy duty wheels to swap on and commute to work on the Giro. The tires will handle railroad crossings and potholes, and my increased height will be better in traffic. The lowness of the Baron made me use an upright bike for commuting. Now, I may never ride an upright again!

After a successful first double century, I'm planning to do as many centuries, doubles, Piru Time Trials, group rides, and who knows what else this year, battling to uphold the Team and Brand honor.

See you guys out there!

-Scott
post edited by BigSherm - 2013/04/09 15:38:42
Crit Rider
  • Total Posts : 1921
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/04/09 19:44:54 (permalink)
BigSherm
Anyway, I just completed my build and took it on just a couple good rides. It's a new Giro 700ATT frame with a Redline carbon disc fork, a Velokraft carbon seat, stiffy riser, Dura-Ace 10sp bar end shifters, Ultegra derailleurs, Mavic Crossride 700c wheels, and Hayes Stroker Trail hydraulic disc brakes! Think of it as a aluminum framed Corsa with disc brakes, and a sweet yellow and white paint job!

Dude!! Pics! Pics!!!!
Great, another cropduster on team B......     I though SK had that task more than covered......     ;-)
BigSherm
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:ROLL CALL! 2013/04/10 21:04:52 (permalink)
"
Well, ok!  Now that Ive figured how to post a picture, here's my new build!

It's a new, Large size Giro ATT 700c frame.  It's got SL-K carbon compact cranks, but with a 53t big ring ftted.  With the 36t small ring, and an 11-36 rear cassette, that's pretty good climbng gears for a double, while still being able to take advantage of what my, uh, bigness does for me on the downhills.  I'll leave entire roadie pacelines wondering what was up with the big guy flying past at 50mph downhill!

The 53-11 big gear is big enough to let me keep adding to the downhill head of steam that my big butt and gravity provide.  It's amazing how far that momentum can take me out into the flats after a hill, too.

I used Dura-ace 10sp bar end shifters, wth Ultegra derailleurs.  The rear is a 6600 medium cage model with a really nice metallic gray finish.  The medium cage provides just enough range to cover the 11-36 to 53-36 gear ranges.  With road bike shifters, the front shifting would probably be considered less than ideal by some, but with bar end shifters, there's no stopping the front derailleur when you move it.  Oh, I ran the brake lines and shift cables insde the Handlebar, too!

Even before I started the build, I knew I wanted to use some lightweight hydraulic disc brakes.  These Hayes Stroker Trail brakes are some of the lightest I could find without breaking the bank.  I fact, I found them on sale for $63 a piece!  Even when descending at over 40mph, they let me just casually hook one finger under the levers, relax my grip on the handlebar, and use the natural weight of my hand to stop as fast as I like.  I used 160mm Ashima Airotor discs front and rear, super light and really nice looking.  The fork is a Redline Carbon disc model with enough clearance for fat 32mm wide tires I can swap on for commuting across railroad tracks, etc, but I'd like to find a low-profile, more aero and lghter carbon disc fork. We'll see.

The wheels are Mavic Crossride 29ers, which are prety heavy, but sturdy.  With their fat bladed spokes and side loading spoke beds at the hub, they look good, though!  These wheels are from another bike, and just fillng in until a set of disc braked, 50mm deep carbon-rimmed wheels I ordered show up.  That'll save almost a pound, just in the wheels!

The carbon seat I used is from Velokraft, and was used on my old Baron.  It fits great on the Giro.  Right now I have two bottle cages on the back of it, but have ordered one of Dana's small aero bags to take their place.

I hope I didn't bore you too badly wth all this, I just thought there mght be some questions, and I'm proud of my new baby!

-Scott

post edited by BigSherm - 2013/04/11 06:34:30

Newest Team Bacchetta Member,
LET'S RIDE!
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 30 of 33
Jump to:
© 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1