Hot!ROLL CALL!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 33
Author
EZ Biker
  • Total Posts : 850
  • Reward points: 0
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/26 19:29:52 (permalink)
WELL, let me go ahead and add my entry to the list! Hope everyone is having a GREAT time at the Bacchetta Rally!

EZ Biker :-) Fort Lauderdale, Fl * www.ezbiker.com
shrike
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/03/06 13:57:54 (permalink)
I have to admit being a lifer when it comes to bikes. On 3 speeds then 10 speed bikes I rode the Santa Cruz mountains before going off to college and getting into motorcycles. With a Botany degree and a Landscape license forayed back into the bay area and bikes. Started riding recumbent after a lower back disc rupture in 1996 and have been riding both bike platforms ever since. Started riding 'Bent with a RANS Rocket before getting Bill Cook's Barcroft Virginia. The corral currently consists of an Aero, Dave Karcher's Carbent, a DF (from Ti Sports Products), a couple of mtn bikes and my wife's GRR. All the bikes get out from time to time though Bents are getting the most time out this year. The DF is great for pack riding, bumping shoulders and socializing with the team but the 'Bents are great for endurance training and racing and, hey, its just plain fun to go fast! Training averages 40-65 hrs a month.
Jim Kern
Sunnyvale, CA
Hap Allen
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/03/08 20:59:09 (permalink)
After years of "research" and thanks to Zach Kaplan spotting an online ad for a used 2004 Corsa, I'm now the happy owner of same. This one was owned briefly by Bryan Ball, then passed along to a rider in Wisconsin for whom the bike turned out to be the wrong size.

While still working with getting in (and out) of clipless pedals and developing a procedure for intersections in my densely populated neighborhood, it's getting easier and less stressful. So far, no snide remarks from anyone, only compliments. (Kids seem to like it.)

Pleased to have one of the (last?) yellow Corsa's, what I need next is to live in an area where there are miles of car-free roads. (Could you throw the moon in with that order, please?)

Best to all,

Hap Allen, 59
Berkeley, CA
rcpinto@aol.com
  • Total Posts : 1386
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/03/09 17:03:49 (permalink)
Hi

My most vivid memory of my early chidhood was my father pushing me down a neighborhood street when I was 5, and the sudden feeling of freedom I got when I knew he was'nt holding up the bike anymore!

'67 through '72 road bikes were Varsity/Continental Schwinns, then a Raleigh International with all Campy Record components, and a Motebecane Le Champion frame a little later. Later 80's roadbikes included a Cannondale.

Riding definitely lost its luster for me in the 80's, with more and more problems with my back and wrists. My last years upright mileage in '88 was less than 1,000 miles. I took my first ride on a bent in '89 (only after I bought it !) and have not looked back, doing 5-7,000 miles a year since pain free.

I'll be riding my recumbent until they take my wheels away! ;<)

Rich Pinto
overthehillbill
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/03/16 20:13:46 (permalink)
Well seeing as how I have been lurking about this board for some time now thought I'd best say hi. I have met many of you,{as in been passed by many of you folks } at past Midwest recumbent rallys. Back before the volae days my wife took a liking to the Giro when you had it available for test rides at the rally. We picked one up for her the following fall and it has done wonders for her ability to ride some distance. Well my old red tailboxed V-rex has been tweaked and twisted about as much as possible{ now 700c x 24, with Aluminum hardshell seat}. And love it tho I do, that new Aluminum frame Corsa is looking pretty darned tempting. So I await news of frameset cost for the beast. Speaking of beast, I think with all the crap I carry in my tailbox ,the ole V-rex is running around 38#, without water. So you can see where a 24 or 25# bike might be sounding good. ......Bill Berg,..... Eau Claire in need of a Bacchetta dealer Wisconsin.
bentrider28
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/03/23 10:24:13 (permalink)
Hi,
I'm Steve Mattern from Albuquerque, NM and I ride a 2002 Corsa. I've been riding recumbents since 1998 after I had my last wedgie surgically removed from my backside after a two-week tour. I primarily rode Rans bikes (still have a V2 and a S&S coupled V-Rex in the stable) until I bought the Corsa. My first ride on the Corsa was on Thanksgiving Day 2003...it was 23 degrees and the winds were whistling at 30-35 mph. I rode 18 miles and thought "I think I like this bike...but it's hard to like any bike today." A couple of days later as I dialed in the seating, handlebars etc I knew I was hooked on the ride. Even then, I was unsure of how I'd feel about the bike on long distances (1-week or 2-week rides).

In Aug/Sept 2004 I rode the Great Mississippi River Ride with America By Bike on the Corsa. Everyday that passed on the ride I became more appreciative of the Bacchetta engineering team that put this design together. I thought my V2 was comfortable on the long ride...but, the Corsa was even more comfortable. The ride averages over 80 miles per day and every morning I couldn't wait to get back on the bike. This design is so simplistically engineered and so well thought out that it keeps the perpetual smile on my face as I ride.

Although I ride for the pure pleasure of being on the rode with a bike and the need for exercise thats pleasurable, speed is not normally my main objective. However, going down the road fast either by myself or in a group does thrill me. So, riding a 108 mile ride not long ago at a personal best 18.8 mph average on the Corsa did make my day! That wasn't bad for the stereotypical bent rider (old, fat, & bearded).

Thanks Bacchetta,
Steve
wahoodoggydoo
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/03/29 14:16:49 (permalink)
John Groweg, Houston, Tx., 44 years old. I'm on an Aero because it is the best recumbent made for my style of riding...fast in mixed club rides and event rides. Completed my first 300K brevet on the Aero in February. Hoping to achieve a five hour century before 2006. Gonna keep my V-Rex because the Aero is too fast for the paved trails in my local park.
bentbabe
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/03/31 13:17:45 (permalink)

Hi everyone! Where are all of the lady riders?? I am 41 and bought my Strada in 2003. Hubby wanted a recumbent, and I chuckled. A WHAT? We test drove several, but when I rode that Strada and was able to cruise at 20 mph easily, I was blown away. Brought it home and proceded to sell my rode bike and 2 mountain bikes. We have custom magenetic pedals, which are an absolute dream! Lots of float, easy to get the foot out.
I put on about 1900 miles my first summer. Unfortunaltely, I had breast cancer diagnosed in June 2004, so my riding was limited to the days when I wasn't puking or in pain. I rode for the first time this year on March 29, 12 miles to work. It was WONDERFUL!
Was hoping to ride TriRi this year, but we are moving to Madison, WI, and I am starting a new job. We live in Okauchee, WI, and I rode my Strada on "Bike the Northwoods" ride, from Wautoma to Bayfield, in 2003. Lots of hills, very challenging for a beginner bent rider.
I bought narrow handlebars to help with aerodymamics, since I am pretty slim, and we "fixed" the stem. Brainbox was a must. Next upgrade is a molded seat. I am trying to convince hubby that I really "need" and "deserve" an Aero, my dream bike! Looking forward to possibly attending the Bent rally in Stevens Point, WI, in Aug. Anybody out there attend?
Must say, Bikeolounger, LOVE the paint job! Gotta hane one of those!!!

Bent Babe
aka: Alexis
cmassey1999
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/04/02 22:56:13 (permalink)
Hello - -My name is Chuck Massey. I'm 33, and I've live in Houston, Texas. I currently ride a Bacchetta Giro (The Green Machine). I just picked it up 3 days ago, I'm still in the process of tweaking it. It's my second recumbent. I plan to ride "the green machine" in the MS150 Houston to Austin ride April 16~17, 2005.

-Chuck
floridabicyclist
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/04/03 14:24:00 (permalink)
Mike Kring 54 Physician Assistant
Baccetta Giro 26, Strickland RoadRunner, Catrike Speed
Bike Commuter who occaisionally does a race, century, or tour.
Favorite century-Bridge to Bridge. Finishes atop Grandfather mountain. 900' switch back climb last mile.
Most memorable bent ride-Homestead to Key West one 140 mile long February day 2003. Snorkelled and ate my way to the Fort Jefferson ferry.
Favorite bent quote: Lawn Chair on your left. Joe Keenan.

Mike
kent33
  • Total Posts : 304
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/04/03 15:29:52 (permalink)
I have an orange Strada with 650 wheels and a carbon seat. I rode a DF for years and then stopped riding regularly. When I returned to cycling, my 40 plus years made it less comfortable, so I began to look at recumbents. I bought the Strada as my first recumbent because it felt a lot more like a real bike than the 20" front wheeled bikes.

I have loved the bike and have put more than 2000 miles on it in less than a year. It feels so good to be back in shape again.

Kent
Wichita, KS
clu4u
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/04/03 20:39:58 (permalink)
John Yount - 52 years old - San Francisco Bay Area (50 mi north)
First post - just signed up today. I am a supervisor in a crime laboratory - firearms and toolmarks guy. Bought my first bent (Lightning Thunderbolt A10) one year ago and put about 2400 miles on it. Bought a used Strada a couple of weeks ago and have about 150 miles on it. I have an Aero carbon seat and the hardware on order to put it on the Strada, but the recurve mesh seat is so comfortable, time will tell if I use the carbon seat much. Next bike? Aero?

JY
Aero
Strada
MarkLynn
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/04/03 22:34:49 (permalink)
Hi, my name is Mark Lynn I'm 49 and I live in Jacksonville IL. I am an RN and work for the State of IL in the Department of Human Services. I had been a DF rider until about 10 yrs ago and neck and back problems kind of halted my riding. Thank goodness I found out about Bacchetta! I bought a slightly used Strada and love it. So nice to be able to ride with no pain again. However, it is just like starting over and I have to learn the hills again! I can't say enough about the guys at Bacchetta, they have been really great. I contacted Mike about the original idler and in a couple of days I had a new one. Also, John has been very helpful via E Mail. Keep up the good work guys.
Mark Lynn
Jacksonville IL
andreaelassar
  • Total Posts : 77
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/04/11 04:12:15 (permalink)
Hi, everyone, my name is Andrea, 42, and I got a Bacchetta Giro 26 at Rapid Transit in Chicago in April, 2005. I've been riding on and off since about the age of 17. But it's only in the last few years that I started riding a lot more. In 2002 I rode the most I've ever ridden (3,700 miles) , mostly commuting just about everywhere I would go (I live in Chicago). I used to ride a brown Miyata, an old model from about 1985, when the frame cracked where the rear wheel drops in. In 2002 I got a new bike, a Jamis Aurora (2000) which was fairly sturdy.

But in the summer of 2003 my bike riding days felt like they were suddenly over. I started to get very sore, lower back, and it turns out that it was my prostate that was the cause of this soreness and stiffness, which persisted for months. I tried to adjust and got a new saddle but that only helped a bit. I read up on the issues of bike riding and pain and found out that riding a recumbent would let me get back in the saddle. The only obstacle was saving up the money to get one.

I was forced to hold off buying a recumbent for about a year and half in part since I had to buy a new computer and as a part-time college instructor it's difficult to save money since as a rule they're paid so poorly. (It's a racket in higher education to keep on hand a lot of faculty part-time and low paid.) In any event, I saved up the money to buy a recumbent, and I'm looking forward to going on long rides again, visting neighboring states and cities.

I'll probably keep riding my regular bike for short rides to do errands and for my short (2-mile) commute to work because I'm a bit wary of locking up an unusual and expensive bike which someone may try to steal or vandalize.

A strange thing, at least to a biking enthusiast like me, is that several people tried to dissuade me from buying a recumbent, implying that a bike isn't something worth spending too much money on, especially a recumbent. Well, I suppose they're approaching the issue from the point of view of someone who doesn't do much cycling; naturally, it wouldn't be a wise investment to spend a lot on something you don't do often. But why try to tell an avid cyclist not to make a new bike a priority?! It suggests bikes aren't taken to seriously and that more people should take a recumbent for a test ride spin.
post edited by andreaelassar - 2005/05/06 01:27:12
Toyfreak
  • Total Posts : 41
New Strada on the way... 2005/04/21 15:07:18 (permalink)
I will be taking delivery of my 2005 Strada from Valley Bikes in Carmel, IN this weekend. I've owned several 'bents (new and used) and look forward to participating in the discussion (when I'm not riding, of course!)
ChrisPB
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/04/21 20:34:32 (permalink)
Paul Christensen, West Point, UT., age 50. I had been researching recumbents for quite a while and when I saw the Bacchettas, in particular the Corsa, I knew that was the bike for me. Unfortunately, there are no dealers in Utah - the closest dealer is in Colorado. Recently I was on business in Minneapolis and just 'happened' to visit Calhoun Cycle. There was no way I was going home with out my bike. I had it shipped out and assembled by my local bike shop. First couple of short rides were great and then when I had a whole 39 miles on the bike, I hit a pot hole and went down. I am now the proud owner of a titanium rod holding my leg together. I have 8 weeks behind me now, spring is here, and I am looking forward to when I can start riding again!

Attached Image(s)

Paul Christensen
Toyfreak
Ouch! 2005/04/22 18:36:20 (permalink)
ChrisPB:

Sorry to hear of your misfortune! Just wondering if you were wearing clipless pedals? Hope you are mending well. Now, a bit more about myself, which I omitted in my forst post: I am 41 years old and design, of all things orthopaedic instrument and implant cases for the medical industry. I have owned two Rans (a Vivo and a V2) and an AVD Windcheetah ClubSport. I am currently 'bentless but my Strada is at Valley Bikes and they are going to build it up on Monday. It's gonna be a LOOOOOOONG weekend!
ChrisPB
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Ouch! 2005/04/22 20:16:12 (permalink)
Toyfreak - I was using clipless pedals and my mistake was trying to clipout. My leg was twisted out (to unclip) when I went down. I actually heard the 'snap' when I hit the ground. I knew immediately what happened. I just pulled out my phone, called 911 and told them where to pick me up. So the two lessons I learned was your better off to stay clipped in and go down with the ship, and ALWAYS ride with a phone. Good luck on your Strada - I'm jealous your riding but give me a couple more weeks and I will be right behind you!

Paul Christensen
Toyfreak
My Preciousssssss... 2005/04/25 22:33:21 (permalink)
Just picked up my new Strada. A whole lot of very nice stuff on this bike for the $, esp. as far as 'bents go. I took a few blasts up and down the Monon Trail to compare the recurve mesh seat vs. the hardshell M5 seat (on an Aero, maybe someday...) and I think for the type of riding I plan to do (comfort and performance being equally important) I think I will stay with the mesh seat. Valley Bikes has another Strada with the M5 seat if I would rather go that way but... Anyway, I'm really pleased so far and I'll be sure to post my observations as I put on the miles.
pauldelamancha
  • Total Posts : 102
Newby 2005/05/01 13:01:16 (permalink)
I just got into recumbents because of back pain on a roadie. All of my test riding proved that the muscle that was giving me problems was not used as much when riding a bent. Chose a Strada because I am a bike commuter who likes a fast commute (24 miles one way so fast is good) but had to handle a little weight too so it seemed to fit the bill best. I just made my purchase yesterday and am looking forward to getting it out and rolling tomorrow. Just trying to figure out a way to mount a headlight on or below the bottom bracket if possible to get the best contrast on the road but not compromise the aero dynamics to much. Not too much hurry on that one as I have all summer before the dark commutes start again. Anyway, I normally commute around 7000 miles a year but have been out of it for about a month due to back pain. I am happy to have a good solution to the problem at this point.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 33
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1