Hot!ROLL CALL!

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 33
Author
tractortom
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points: 0
RE: ROLL CALL! 2011/10/16 19:24:39 (permalink)
Tractor Tom here in Okeechobee, FL.  I just swapped my 2008 Catrike Trail with 5000 miles on it, even swap, for a 2008 Corsa 650 and some accessories and a spare wheel set.  The fellow who had it had suffered a loss of balance and needed a trike, and I needed to go faster.  It seemed like a match made in heaven!  I listed my trike for sale yesterday on Bentrider, he listed his Corsa about the same time, we passed some mail back and forth and made the swap at my home this afternoon.

I'm a 57 year old Ag Welder/Mechanic on a 350,000 acre cattle ranch here in South Florida and got my first recumbent in about 1988 from a bike dealer in Olney, Maryland.  It was a long wheelbase welded up of mild steel and must have weighed around 55 lbs!  The Corsa is easily 10-12 lbs lighter than my Catrike, a LOT less rolling resistance and should be a good deal faster with the same expended effort.

I look forward to learning more about the bike, getting it tweaked and adjusted and getting on the road and putting in some miles!  I belong to the bike club in Sebring and when I would go on rides with them on my trike, I would be first on the road, and last to get back, with everyone passing me along the way.  That ends NOW!

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee
tractortom
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: ROLL CALL! 2011/10/16 19:27:28 (permalink)
Sorry about the multiple posts!!! I was not getting any response from the board, so I sent it a couple of times.

I won't happen again!  I swear!!!

Tractor Tom
Bakrauf
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: ROLL CALL! 2011/10/17 00:23:49 (permalink)
Brian Wyer- Strasburg VA. Just joined the world of Bacchetta. I am 43 years old and just started riding recumbents a year ago. My first one was a 1996 Rans V-Rex. I sold that one and bought a 09 V-Rex. I loved that bike and was able to hang with some DF bikes in my area. I craved more speed so I started looking at the Bacchettas. I found one at Bent up Cycles in Cali and I am currently impatiently awaiting its arrival. The closest recumbent rider is about 45 miles away and I basically just ride with my local club of DF riders. MY goal is to hang with them and hopefully change their minds about recumbents. I have been making great progress on the V-Rex keeping up with them, so I cant wait to break out the Corsa SS on them!
Bentdoorguy
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: ROLL CALL! 2011/10/17 00:25:57 (permalink)
Fremont, California. Just finished putting together my CA2.0 that I got from Zach Kaplan Recumbents in Alameda. He took pity on me after my last bent broke (not a Bacchetta), so he sold the frameset he ordered for himself.  Been riding since the 70's and got my first bent, a DeFelice lwb, in the mid 80's.
AeroDon
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: ROLL CALL! 2011/10/17 04:40:46 (permalink)
Hi Paul,
Welcome to the Hive.  I'm sure by now, you know the CA2 is one sweet bike.  Enjoy the ride!!!

AeroDon
CA 2.0 700c Ti Aero
ADEM headrests Support so you can Really Recline
http://ademhr.com
mdktemora
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: ROLL CALL! 2011/11/07 06:07:11 (permalink)
Mathew from Temora which is a small country town in New South Wales, Australia. I am 44 years old and have been enjoying getting back into cycling for the past two years. I am currently riding a flat bar road bike, gradually building up the miles travelled. I completed my first century (metric) ride last week and am hoping to continue improving. My goal is to join in the "Blue Lizard Ride" which is a "Bikes for Bibles" ride through South West NSW in the last week of September. Each year the route changes but they try to organise between 950-1000km.

I recently tried a number of recumbent bikes through Flying Furniture in Canberra, about 2.5 hours drive from Temora. I found the Bacchettas very comfortable and found them quite easy to handle. These were much easier than some of the other 'bents I tried. I am looking at the Corsa as my aim is comfortable distance rather than touring at this stage.

I haven't bought as yet and it may be some time before I can lay down the dollars but I look forward to learning from those with much more experience.

Cheers, Mathew
mdktemora
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: ROLL CALL! 2011/11/21 05:26:42 (permalink)
Can now update with the great news that I have bought a new Corsa which I picked up last Friday. I have completed a number of shorter rides over rolling hills, then today my first 20km ride over terrain I am used to. I will be looking forward to getting my "bent" legs over the coming weeks/months.

Cheers, Mathew
Paul Atreides
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: ROLL CALL! 2011/11/23 22:10:25 (permalink)
Pat Grewe, 60, Lincoln, NE - I fist got interested in recumbents in '85 or '86 when I saw a Linear on BRAN. I was able to borrow a Linear and ride it on RAGBRAI in 1986. I finally bought my first recumbent in 2004--a 2001 Rans Stratus. I did many upgrades and modifications and my final verdict was that I love the bike, but it's not fast enough. I got a Bacchetta Aero in 2007.

This year, I have loggeg 4499 miles to date, including 12 centuries, RAGBRAI, two self-supported tours, and two gravel grinders. I have logged almost all those miles one either the Aero or the Stratus. I met John Schlitter on RAGBRAI this year while I was riding the Aero and my son was on the Status.

I love riding bikes, especially my Bacchetta.

BTW, my alias is a book/movie reference, which I'm sure some of you will recognize.

Pat Grewe

Bacchetta Aero
Rans Stratus
Dahon Mu P8 folder
Rivendell Custom Road
Bontrager Racelite
'79 Trek 710 (bought new in '79 and still ride it)

post edited by Paul Atreides - 2011/11/30 21:33:59
wftravers
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: ROLL CALL! 2012/01/24 22:48:37 (permalink)
Walt Travers here. 67+ and retired. started with Haluzak Storm many years back and was having a lot of fun when work started getting in the way and I cut back. After getting more interested again and reading recumbent blogs got interested in Bacchetta, tested one while visiting folks in Florida (I live in Hawaii - no Bent dealers here) and finally bot Giro 26/20 in 2005. Loved it, still have it - but after getting good tax refund after retiring recently I started thinking about upgrading a little. Being short (think I have 40" Xseam?) had limited sure choices and no easy way to test (not many bents in Hawaii and of course I wanted another Bacchetta which is even less seen). Finally decided on Corsa 24 as I was pretty sure I could fit it and touch ground. Got same Giro handle bar and tried Euromesh seat. Didn't care for seat so much so I took recurve from my Giro to use and find it much more comfortable for me. Oh yeah, speed is not as high on my list as comfort as you might guess!

Now I'm waiting for 650c wheel set from Mike W & company to try it out on the Corsa and hopefully still safely touch the ground. And that's all because of several of you members talking about the change on your Giros! So when my wife complains about spending money I'll just point my finger at you guys (lol).

Walt Travers
'11 Corsa 24 (maybe soon to be 650/24?)
'05 Giro 26/20 (supposed to sell it to help pay for new one, but I'm not so sure I want to - still fun to ride).

Walt Travers
Corsa 24 (2011)
Giro 2620 (2005)
Bent_Bob
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: ROLL CALL! 2012/02/04 18:34:29 (permalink)
Hi, Bob from So Central California. My wife and I have been riding bents for a couple of years now. I started out on an old Iowa Linear, then picked up an HP Scorpion FS. My most recent ride being a Rans X-Stream 26. The desire to go faster is leading me toward something such as a Carbent or CA 2.0. I'm leaning toward the later as I don't think I know yet enough about my final best fit to not have an adjustable seat, at least not yet. I'll poke around here and glean information from you guys, thanks in advance for the sharing you do.
Bob

Monkeywrangler22
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: ROLL CALL! 2012/02/13 11:45:36 (permalink)
So new to Bacchetta that I don't even own it yet...! But I am buying a lightly used Giro 26 this coming weekend. I have been 'bent for about 8mo now, on a Vrex but found out by switching to a stick-style bike I could pick up about 3mph avg which I need desperately. I wanted a dual 26 bike, SWB, and wanted to be able to mount fenders on it. I found a deal on the Giro, and am really looking forward to riding it!
Sagebum
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: ROLL CALL! 2012/02/20 21:53:25 (permalink)
Hi

Just made the plunge and ordered an CA 2.0 for the June delivery period. I ride 5-10,000 miles a year mostly in the Sierra Nevada and the Colorado Rockies but avoid long flat rides due to neck problems. Hope to enjoy the flatter rides on the CA 2.0 with recumbent firends. Pretty sure I'll have to take the CA up the passes too just to see.

Looking forward

Twain
jkeenan7
  • Total Posts : 1883
RE: ROLL CALL! 2012/02/21 00:41:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sagebum

Hi

Just made the plunge and ordered an CA 2.0 for the June delivery period. I ride 5-10,000 miles a year mostly in the Sierra Nevada and the Colorado Rockies but avoid long flat rides due to neck problems. Hope to enjoy the flatter rides on the CA 2.0 with recumbent firends. Pretty sure I'll have to take the CA up the passes too just to see.

Looking forward

Twain

Welcome to the "B" hive Sagebum.

Yah, you need to take the CA 2.0 up those passes because on the down run, you'll feel like you're flying a glider plane or a cloud or both. :)

'16 Carbon Basso GS
'06 Bike Friday NWT
'99 VRexAchetta (Stolen and Born Again)
'08 Bike Friday Tandem
'13  Mukluk3 
SOLD:'05 Aero Basso '06 Ti Aero '05 Corsa '11 29er MTB  Bike Friday SAT R DAY  '07 Giro 20 '03 Strada

audax
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: ROLL CALL! 2012/03/09 11:06:45 (permalink)
Matthew from Central California. I am one of the organizers of the PCH Randonneurs ( www.pchrandos.com ). I had been thinking about making the switch for about two years, but my experience at PBP convinced me that I needed to do something. Test rode a Corsa in December and then mulled it over for two months before visiting Dana at Bent-Up Cycles where I ordered a CA2.0. Picked it up yesterday and I am trilled. I have not been this excited about buying a bike since I bought my first real bike ("real" being defined as a non-beater bike for more than grocery duties) in 2002. I plan to use the CA2.0 on two 1200km randonees this year.

M. O.
RUSA 2797 / PCH Randonneurs
2011 CA2.0
Scorpio
  • Total Posts : 1469
RE: ROLL CALL! 2012/03/09 11:39:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: audax

Matthew from Central California. I am one of the organizers of the PCH Randonneurs ( www.pchrandos.com ). I had been thinking about making the switch for about two years, but my experience at PBP convinced me that I needed to do something. Test rode a Corsa in December and then mulled it over for two months before visiting Dana at Bent-Up Cycles where I ordered a CA2.0. Picked it up yesterday and I am trilled. I have not been this excited about buying a bike since I bought my first real bike ("real" being defined as a non-beater bike for more than grocery duties) in 2002. I plan to use the CA2.0 on two 1200km randonees this year.

You will be very happy with the CA 2.0. It is a great bike and will do very well in brevets including 1200 k's

Javid (pronounced "David") Bradley
Carbon Aero 2.0
Ti Aero
RUSA #7172

Team RAAM Sarcoma Powered by Bacchetta Bike

www.TeamRavenLunatics.com

"My Drinking Team Has A Racing Problem"
Gfkdrobi
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: ROLL CALL! 2012/03/11 22:50:14 (permalink)
Gary Robinson, 63, technical Project Manager. New Red Bella, just purchased. After some serious surgery forced me off my upright for good, I've discovered the joys of 'bents. Thrilled to be riding again, but really need to re-build endurance after being idled for 2+ years now.

In NE Ohio, so typically waiting for warm weather to head outside. Yeah, not much for cold-weather biking, have to admit.

Gary
Gfkdrobi
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: ROLL CALL! 2012/03/23 20:30:19 (permalink)
Gary Robinson, Wadsworth, Ohio. 63, new to recumbents. Just got my 2011 Bella, after being forced off my DF bike by some serious surgery 2+ years ago. First day, close to 40 miles before I realized how far I had gone !! Absolutely hooked on 'bents now! An early spring has meant quite a few miles already. Got the Bella from RD Bikes in Barberton......one of the best shops I've ever found. Personal service, owners who ride & really care about their Customers ! Also one of a very few shops that carry 'bents in NE Ohio.

Added a GlowWhip safety flag, fenders, Garmin speedo........having fun again on the bike !

Gary
k7
  • Total Posts : 420
RE: ROLL CALL! 2012/03/23 22:30:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Gfkdrobi

Gary Robinson, Wadsworth, Ohio. 63, new to recumbents. Just got my 2011 Bella, after being forced off my DF bike by some serious surgery 2+ years ago. First day, close to 40 miles before I realized how far I had gone !! Absolutely hooked on 'bents now! An early spring has meant quite a few miles already. Got the Bella from RD Bikes in Barberton......one of the best shops I've ever found. Personal service, owners who ride & really care about their Customers ! Also one of a very few shops that carry 'bents in NE Ohio.

Added a GlowWhip safety flag, fenders, Garmin speedo........having fun again on the bike !

Gary

Welcome Gary!

ORIGINAL: audax

Matt - congrats. You're in good hands with Dana.

How do you think you'll be received by your rando buddies? We'll do a 200 tomorrow and there will be five of us on recumbents which I believe is the most ever for our rando group. My goal is a 1200 this year and, I'll be on a CA 2 also! Welcome and good luck!
chuckgreenwood
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: ROLL CALL! 2012/04/29 20:53:05 (permalink)
Greetings, oh laid back ones!

Last year, shortly after hitting the big 50 my wife said I should "get something cool" so I bought a terratrike cruiser. At first I could go 5 miles at 9 mph. After four months I did a century on it, moving averaging 11 mph. This year I went to the HPRA races at Brian Piccolo, and did reasonably well.

Then, of course, the old itch started up, and I wanted two wheels. Fast forward - visited Inverness for the Invasion, rode a few things. I.M. Bent tempted me with his Taifun...it was a sweet ride. KenAero let me sit upon his Strada, and gave me some great tips. I tried out a Giro 20, and a Bella.

Today, I visited a guy 5 miles from my house who had a very slightly used Strada. It fit me just fine. I jumped on and rode it fine. I bought it for a reasonable price, made us both happy.

Thanks effusively to all those who let me try those spendy machines - and apologies to Neal for not buying the Taifun.... Also, apologies to the guys at Bacchetta and at Suncoast Bikes for not buying a brand spanking new one!

After getting home I had a few minutes to play with the bike, then it was supper. I wolfed my food and ran out and rode until it got dark!
( cue up the Rush, with Red Barchetta )

Edit: day two: Man I love this bike!
post edited by chuckgreenwood - 2012/04/30 23:05:29
Chekmx
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: ROLL CALL! 2012/05/19 17:24:24 (permalink)
Steve, 42, living in Zurich Switzerland. I work for the gnomes. Just bought a bellandare used once by the dealers daughter. Planning to use bike for day touring and do some extended touring with my first 'big' trip being the Rhone route. So far I am loving this bike, I previously had a kmx with which I didn't have a lot of joy.
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 33
Jump to:
© 2022 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1