Hot!ROLL CALL!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 32
Author
trsnrtr
  • Total Posts : 289
  • Reward points: 0
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/22 12:11:53 (permalink)
I'll be 54 in June and live in Central Illinois where it hasn't hardly been fit to ride this month.

I own two high-racers, a Volae Team and a Bacchetta Aero.

I got in to recumbents after a radical prostatectomy for cancer in May, 2003. The doctor banned me from uprights for at least 12 weeks, but allowed me on a bent after 6. I had ridden uprights for over 20 years and 120,000 miles but it only took me one season on a bent to become a total convert to bentdom.

I've now sold all of my uprights except my tandem which I still ride with my wife.

-Dennis
post edited by trsnrtr - 2005/01/22 12:13:55
Bob
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/22 22:54:06 (permalink)
I'm 54 years of age, a pilot for a Taiwanese Airlne, and a bent convert. Last spring I rode my DF on a 68 mile trip and my rear was so sore that the ride was not enjoyable at all. Figuring there was a better way I stopped by Angle Lake Cyclery and after a couple of test rides, purchased a Strada from Dale. I love it. It is ridden almost every day I am home, rain or shine. When I'm not, I ride a bent exercise machine, at what ever hotel I'm in.
We hope to pick up a bent tandem later this year, possibly during the fall, hopefully a Bacchetta if one is available then. I have upgraded to a M5 seat, which I am very happy with. Oh, I also have added Rotor Cranks that I have found to be very smooth. I like them as they, without a doubt in my case, reduce knee strain, they do not however make me faster, but speed is secondary to me at this point. I just love zipping a long at a 15 to 16 mph trip average in some fairly hilly terrain without discomfort. I love it
I hope to convince my wife that she needs to get rid of her DF, and go with a Giro. I think she'll switch by mid summer after a couple of centuries
Bob - Strada
Gig Harbor, Washington
Eddiecycle
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/23 23:10:10 (permalink)
Eddie here! I'm 25 years old and I work at a bike shop. I have lived all over North Carolina and currently live in the wonderful town of Carrboro. I have to brag a little bit by saying that Bicycle Industry and Retailer News voted Carrboro one of top five best places in the nation to use a bicycle for transportation. That's why I'm here.

I ride an Aero. As you well know, most people my age don't ride recumbents. The first shop I worked for is owned by a man who was building his own recumbents back in the early days of Rans and Easy Racers. I never really understood the difference between "cool" and "uncool" the same way the rest of my generation does. Speed and distance are more important to me.

-Eddie
bentbikerider
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/24 23:21:15 (permalink)
Hi, everyone. I'm Richard House, 62 years young, Albuquerque, NM. I have ridden recumbents since late 1998. My current steed is a Strada, which I purchased from Kelvin Clark of Angletech. The bike is dark teal in color and geared 54/42/30 by 11-34 (so that I have half a chance to make it up most hills out here). After my first 1,000 miles, I installed a Rotor and now have almost 5,400 miles on that crank; I really like the way it feels. And I really, really like the way the bike feels.

Mostly I ride within 100 miles of Albuquerque but I have completed El Tour De Tucson twice and am thinking of also doing the Hotter Than Hell this year. Last year, I rode a bit over 5,100 miles (more than doubling my previous best year), and I am aiming for up to 8,000 miles this year. BTW, I got a bit more than 5,000 miles on my first set of tires (but I think that is because I am built like Zach Kaplan and am nowhere near Clydesdale in mass).

When I finally retire, in the very near-distance future, I plan to do what TAG, nmaero, and others have done and give myself an Aero as a retirement gift. I am not sure how I will like the M5 seat, however, because it did not suit me when I test rode an M5-equipped Bacchetta right before I bought my Strada and kept the mesh seat. At that time, though, I was not used to a laid-back position or to the high-racer format of bike. Now, I am very comfortable with lots of recline and with the style of bike. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has gone through a similar transition and then changed to the lighter seat.

I really ought to get rid of my road and mountain bikes because I have essentially ignored them for over a year now. Oh well, that's the consequence of finding something better.

Richard House
Albuquerque, NM
'10 Greenspeed X5
'06 Corsa (Q-Rings)
'03 Strada (Rotor Crank)
seragram
  • Total Posts : 236
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/24 23:23:13 (permalink)
Hi u all
orange strada
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/26 19:16:37 (permalink)
Allan

Bike: Orange Strada

I use the bike as my commuter and have thoroughly enjoyed it! My commute is 5mi each way but, I've enjoyed the bike so much that I've added 2mi to each leg and that may soon increase. This is my first bent and now I am trying to convince others to join me- what a difference. I currently cruise around 23mph which is a blast- I usually get funny looks as cars pass me and then a look of amazement as I go roaring by once they are bogged down in traffic. What a great feeling. I would like to train a little and at least attempt a 100miler. That's my goal for spring 05. Thanks for the forum and tips.
drjeh
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/01 00:07:52 (permalink)
Joel Hornung
Council Grove, KS

I bought my wife a Giro a few years ago when she was going to Bike Across Kansas. I didn't get to go, but I did get to try out her bike. I enjoyed it so much, I sold my Klein Pinnacle Custom and my Cannondale Raven 1000 and purchased a Strada. We've added a custom painted Giro for my wife and my daughter has taken over the original green one.

I'll be riding across Kansas for the third time this year. Looking forward to seeing more Stradas, Giros and Aeros on the way.

Joel
Orange Strada in the Flint Hills
MartyL
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/02 23:27:31 (permalink)
I am a new member but have been riding recumbents for 3 years and riding in general most of my 52 years, mostly day rides and touring. I have a starda set up like an aero. I like steel and my wieght was iffy for the aero. I have converted my V-rex to a mountain bike. I take it on everything dirr road except single track. Currently thinking about a full suspension bent to see how much it would help.

Marty
Colorado
redlavida
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/04 13:22:18 (permalink)
David Lear of Washington DC...
I currently own an '03 Giro which I use for my daily commute from the center of DC, Capital Hill, to Silver Spring in the MD suburbs, a round trip of just under 20 miles, 6 days per week. I also have an '04 Strada which I keep for more formal occasions -- weddings and funerals -- or when I want to impress not-so-young women. It has one of those cool go-faster M5 seats and is a lot of fun, if occasionally a bit scary.
What more? Teacher, failed writer, and rather British, I'm afraid, despite having lived here for more than 25 years...
jkeenan7
  • Total Posts : 1877
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/05 06:21:38 (permalink)
Greetings Folks,

The "nom" Joe Recumbo was given to me by my first bike club, Orange County Bicycle Club (OCBC), when I showed up one day with a RANS V-REX, which I thought I'd never sell. By the way OCBC 'noms' just about everyone. The 'nom' stuck and I've added Slow, well...because I am.

The turn to recumbents came about because of a bad back. Like most I thought I'd ride my DF now and then, but never have.

I saw Jose Hernandez' tricked out Corso and was intriqued by the dual 26" bike. Long story short but I communicated with John Schlitter over a camera and followed his migration from RANS to Kansas to Bacchetta, following the Bacchetta story from magazine articles, word of mouth, etc. Everything I heard was simply positive.

One day I made the "good mistake" of trying a STRADA for a short test ride. I didn't want to get off. Yup, bought a STRADA in the summer of '03 and couldn't believe the difference the bike made in "speed". On any typical flat metric, I'd average around 15 mph. On my first flat metric on a STRADA I averaged 17.5. Dem's da facts Jack. Unfortunately, I'm in QATAR and will only get to ride the STRADA this summer until I'm back in the US of A after the spring of '06.

Just as the bikes are good, the people who ride them are better. I've been blessed to meet JS, Steve (Coral Gables), Jim Ossa, Jose Hernandez, Ken EZ Biker, Denny Vorhees (virtually), Shari Bernhard, and a bunch of others over the net.

Simply, I'm proud to be a Bacchetta evangalist.

Cheers

Slow Joe Recumbo
post edited by jkeenan7 - 2005/02/05 06:23:32
ATLCORSA
  • Total Posts : 1081
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/05 23:43:06 (permalink)
Hello - -My name is Troy Timmons. I'm 38, and I've live in South Atlanta. I currently ride a RANS Velocity Squared with front fairing. I have a used Corsa on order and expect to have it soon. I had the pleasure of meeting both RED BACCHETTA and ORANGE STRADA last November on my first century ride in Claxton GA. These guys love thier bikes and it shows with in the grins that wear proudly while riding them. Their excitement for their Baccchettas was infectous and since last November I have been planning on buying one.

I don't have any plans on selling the RANS but guess it won;t get used much in the near future.

Troy.
Jameel
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/09 18:57:54 (permalink)
I guess I'm among the minority here, being only 30 years old. Bought a DF last fall after years of not riding and gaining weight. Then I discovered recumbents about a month later through a friend. I bought a Giro last November and haven't ridden the DF since, and I never will again. I love my Giro, and look forward to really breaking it in this spring, since I've only been able to ride about 50 miles since I bought it, due to the winter road conditions.
Victor Kan
  • Total Posts : 1097
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/11 12:17:00 (permalink)
Victor Kan, Morrisville, NC, riding a Wicks Trimuter tadpole trike (Greenspeed GTS clone) and an ActionBent Tidal Wave USS SWB.

Unfortunately, I'm still just a Bacchetta wannabe. I love the high racer handling and riding position, but it's just that my legs are too darned short for me to feel comfortable in stop and go traffic I would be riding on (at least for the first few miles of my commute).

I know the Giro 20 is low enough for me to be comfy, and as much as I'd like a Giro 20, I've already got a 622/451 SWB and don't need a similar 559/406 SWB.

I took a decent test ride on a Giro 26 at The Clean Machine in Carrboro, NC and really liked it while on the go. But I literally have to hop up and nearly off the seat to put a foot down in a stable manner. I briefly tried the 2005 Strada with M5 seat, but couldn't quite feel comfy on it (the seat being a little too short, and maybe feeling a little more quick in the handling vs. the Giro 26) to go much beyond the parking lot or around the block. I distinctly remember feeling more stable when Eddie kindly let me test ride his Aero last year.

I can't wait for the CLWB to come out. I think I'd really like a performance CLWB with a high BB and a seat height low enough for me. Oh yeah, and I'd like it with USS, though superman OSS is OK too. Something like the Reynolds Nomad maybe.
billt
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/16 17:35:06 (permalink)
Bill Trefzger, 44, Maryland
Been riding hybrids and mountain bikes to commute for years. Got bent with a Burley Taiko several years ago, which got me riding quite a bit.

Last summer I took a ride on the W&OD trail and stopped in at Bikes@Vienna (in Vienna, VA) and tried a Strada on a whim--I never thought a "high racer" was for me, but it would be fun to try it out. Next day I brought it home and I've been riding it every chance I can since then.

Still have the Taiko but it don't get much action these days...

I also owned a banana-yellow Schwinn Varsity, bought in 1972 with money from my first paper route.
abarnard
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/22 19:25:59 (permalink)
Hi All,

Newbie here. My wife and I are just getting ready to pull the trigger on purchasing two Bacchettas. I'm set on an Aero. She's looking at either a Giro or an Aero Basso. We're headed up to Gold Country Cyclery in the beautiful NorCal foothills this weekend to do some test riding. We're very excited!

I'm 43, raced motorcycles as a kid, then road bikes and mountain bikes (in the early days before suspension). Was a die-hard bike commuter for years on my trusty old Cannondale urban assault vehicle ;). Quit riding about 10 years ago due to various neck and back issues from my MX days. Looking to get active again and I believe these bikes are the answer. Can't believe the friendly ergonomics!

Thanks for the great info and community.

Regards,
Alan.

www.barnardesign.com
www.superaussies.com
John Schlitter
  • Total Posts : 2536
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/22 19:38:31 (permalink)
Alan, were are you at in CA? I have a cousin in Fresno. He and his wife love to ride Bacchettas and have five of their friends on them now.

Keep spinning
Zach
  • Total Posts : 860
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/22 21:30:29 (permalink)
Alan is in Roseville just outside of Sacramento. I referred him to Gold Country Cyclery as that is much closer to him.

Zach Kaplan Cycles
510-522-BENT (2368)
zach@zachkaplancycles.com
http://www.zachkaplancycles.com
John Schlitter
  • Total Posts : 2536
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/22 21:39:06 (permalink)
Zach, good job on the refferral. I was wondering their locationto try and get him hooked up to ride with the Fresno crew.

Keep spinning

John
abarnard
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/22 23:55:19 (permalink)
Thanks!

Zach: I appreciate the referral. I went up and met Rick Steele at Gold Country last Saturday. Great guy!

Best regards,
Alan.
logicalrhino
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/02/25 13:51:18 (permalink)
Hello Everyone,

I just thought I would introduce myself. I recently had the opportunity to purchase a used (200 miles) Aero (a new one was outside my price range). Thank you Rob from RBR for the help and a superior packing job. And a big thanks to Dale from Angle Lake Cyclery for putting it together and helping achieve the correct fit. I have been riding a Serotta for many years with a local noon ride. I had my first ride yesterday and felt quite confident in the handling. I was able to cruise at a pleasant 19-21mph for the 18+ miles that make up our course, but I hope as my recumbent muscles develope the speeds should increase!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 32
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1