Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 32
Author
summer
  • Total Posts : 52
  • Reward points: 0
2005/01/19 19:09:02 (permalink)

ROLL CALL!

ROLL CALL!
Everyone chime in and tell us a bit about yourself and what you're riding! We want to hear from all of you....

(Unfortunately we lost our original roll call when we switched to our new forum software... so it's a great time to start over!)

Take care,
Summer

Bacchetta Bicycles, Inc.

631 Replies Related Threads

Mike Katz
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/19 20:56:15 (permalink)
    Mike Katz, St. Louis, MO., age 65, retired lawyer, riding an Aero, which I bought at Bike Center, Des Peres, MO., in 2002. I average 80+ mile per week, weather permitting, mostly local (St. Louis), but some out-of state rides.
    e3photo
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/19 22:12:12 (permalink)
    Emerald Estock, Carrboro N.C. I ride a Strada,purchased from The Clean Machine in Carrboro. I rode 101 miles the first full week after getting it. The weather has been off and so I am looking forward to spring. New to recumbents and cycling.I am hoping to ride a lot this year,and maybe ride in a local event which is a ride across the state
    I think this forum is great!

Regards,
    Emerald
    James Ossa
    • Total Posts : 280
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/20 05:37:02 (permalink)
    James Ossa from Gainesville Florida. I'm a Nurse Practitioner at the Gainesville VA Hospital. Cycling/Fitness is my passion and therapy. Team Bacchetta member - Beautiful Bacchetta Aero! Hoping to meet lots of you in the future - Suncoast Recumbent Rally?

James Ossa
    TAG
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/20 10:36:20 (permalink)
    Hi I'm Tom Gatherum from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I am 55. I bought my Aero late in the fall last year (early retirement gift) but with the rotten weather only managed to ride for a short while. I did however manage to get the bike dialed in perfectly. The Aero is without doubt the best bike that I have riden. Changes to date have been limited to a change in idler, the addition of a cadance sensing computor,and a brain box. I have been riding since 1996.

Bikes to date:
    Homebuilt 20/20 swb 1996
    Vision R42 1996
    Vivo 1998 (still in my possession)
    Rocket 2001
    Peterbuilt Lowracer 2001(still in my possession)
    Peterbuilt 16/20 SWB 2002 (still in my possession)
    Aero 2004 (Never out of my sight)

Tom
    AeroZang
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/20 11:17:22 (permalink)
    David Zangmeister, MD; Mutual, Oklahoma. Age 47. Fairly consistent 110 miles per week excpet when thermometer drops below 10 degrees, or ice on road.... which doesn't happen too often here.

Have ridden recumbents for about 4 years now, and am hooked.

Bikes:
    AeroTi (this is awesome, will be even better with bump-blow-out resistant veloplugged rims in the future).
    YellowBike (Optima?) lynx (orphaned now? for bad road conditions).
    Canondale FS6000 for ice, snow, rain, with studded tires.

Bike on!

David
    John Schlitter
    • Total Posts : 2536
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/20 11:19:55 (permalink)
    John Schlitter, one of the Bacchetta Boys. Been cycling pretty heavy since 1969 when I made a deal with my parents if they bought me that used 75.00 Schwinn Varisty I would paint the house and ride it to school everyday. I did both my freshman year of high school. Who go tthe better end of that deal? I did! Got into recumbents with my brother Randy starting back in 1973. Left his company over five years ago with the promise that one day I would be involved with a bicycle company again but as an partner.

Have a retail bike shop in Hays KS, call The Hub and tend to enjoy all types of cycling. Of the recumbents the Aero is still my favorote ride of all time, for now, but you never know what is on the horizan

Really enjoy being part of Bacchetta and seeing what recumbent bikes and the Bacchetta bikes are bringing into our lifes. Highlites of being with Bacchetta is traveling around the country meeting dealers and you guys while getting to ride my bike.

Hope to be riding in your neighborhood soon.

Keep spinning
    John Schlitter

Also a "Team Bacchetta" rider
    AeroZang
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/20 11:54:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mike Katz

Mike Katz, St. Louis, MO., age 65, retired lawyer, riding an Aero, which I bought at Bike Center, Des Peres, MO., in 2002. I average 80+ mile per week, weather permitting, mostly local (St. Louis), but some out-of state rides.

Mike,

Have you ridden the Katy Trail? Heard about it? Good? Bad?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    I have looked at the Park System's web site.

David
    Data Man
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/20 11:55:21 (permalink)
    Ron Coleman here. I am 52 going on 25 and have been riding since I got the training wheels off. Love my Aero. Brought it from Scott Chamberlain at Belmont Wheel Works in MA 2 years ago. I ride 15 miles to work weather permitting most days or spin using my trainer at home. Also ride RAGBRAI and a few other multi day rides. I hope to meet many of you in the future to share our love for Bacchettas and riding.

My garage is home to:
    Trek 5900
    Trek Y Foil
    Trek Y50 mountain bike
    Motobecane Team Champion
    and coming soon a Cat Trike Road...Shhh! Don't tell my wife.

Thankfully these other bikes get ridden by my kids now.

Its all good as long as the rubber hits the road first.
    sgm80
    • Total Posts : 190
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/20 13:09:36 (permalink)
    Stephen McDonald, Coral Gables Florida. I'm 46 and am a Harbor Pilot in the Port of Miami.

I have Strada that is completely aero-fied ( carbon Kevlar Swanson seat and all lightweight components ), and ride about 300 miles month. I went straight from my upright Trek to the Strada, as a leap of faith, about 10 months ago - and it was a great decision.

As John S said of his past, I too had a steel frame Schwinn Varsity as my first road type bike back in the '70s. I've always enjoyed riding, and like fast group rides. I ride with the Everglades Bicycle Club and the South Florida Recumbent Riders.

I've made a lot of new friends on this bike, and it has been as good for my mind as it has been for my body.

Regards,

Steve-Coral Gables Fl
    Zach
    • Total Posts : 860
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/20 14:42:25 (permalink)
    Zach Kaplan in Alameda (near San Fransico). Recumbents have been my primary transportation since 1992 and I've been a recumbent dealer since 1995. I ride too many types of recumbents to list here. I am 35 years old and single, not many single woman recumbent riders in my age range out there!

Zach Kaplan Cycles
    510-522-BENT (2368)
    zach@zachkaplancycles.com
    http://www.zachkaplancycles.com
    jmtrom
    • Total Posts : 440
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/20 16:38:45 (permalink)
    Jeff Trommer, 47, Seminole (St. Pete) FL. I'm a hydrogeologist and life time fitness freak. My wife and I got our B's in October 2002 as 20th anniversary presents. We rode every bike at Bicycle Outfitters. One ride on the Strada and I knew I was done looking. She went for the Giro. Rode 3,000 miles last year and shooting for 5,000 this year. I'm working hard on making the first string St. Pete Boys team.

Jeff
    Dunedin, FL

2005 Corsa (sold)
    2010 CA 2.0 650 (sold)
    2011 CA 2.0 700
    thecanoe
    • Total Posts : 1436
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/20 20:55:02 (permalink)
    I also bought my aero from Scott Chamberlain at Wheelworks,Belmont, MA. When the weather is good I ride about 100 miles a week. In winter if there is snow, I ride a Trek 8000 MTB with studded tires. I much prefer the Aero. I was one of the first to switch out the M5 seat. It's all about comfort and on longer rides, the M5 just didn't do it for me.
    At 56 years old, I feel like a kid every time I get on this bike.
    Thanks Bacchetta.

If I'm not on my aero
    I'm in my canoe
    Red_Bacchetta
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/20 21:37:45 (permalink)
    Hey Y'all!

My name is Chris Pyles. I'm forty years young, and I've lived in Atlanta for the last 20 of them. I'm a moldbuilder by trade, matter of fact if you had a beverage in a plastic bottle today good chance I made the mold or ones just like them.

Knee and ankle problems were getting the best of me on DF bikes. So I bought a Vision R40. My friend OrangeStrada, bought his first. (a Strada) I soon purchased mine from a fellow board member a couple months later and haven't gone back. I found that the way the Bacchetta Strada was set up was the best bike for me. I haven't had any complaints in the last 3500 miles....except not having enough time to ride.

I like to tour. I rode my 5th BRAG last year on my Strada. I have also riden 6 centuries on it too. I can't say enough good things about the bike, or the people who ride them. Looking forward to meeting you good people at the rally!

BTW, I'm in the middle of converting the R40 to an OSS bike for my wifey. Hopefully the bug will bite her and she will want a Bacchetta of her own!
    post edited by Red_Bacchetta - 2005/01/20 21:41:10
    Magilla Gorilla
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/21 03:26:43 (permalink)
    I was the first team Bacchetta rider. I was recruited by Rich Pinto to ride his Aerocycle. I first met John schlitter in 2001 at the hostel shop rally up north in Wisconsin. Actually my relationship with Rich Pinto was the result of my meeting with John Schlitter. He gave me his email and phone number. I was on a GRR replica and got my ass handed to me by john on his Strada prototype. Of course I was hot after the performance thing at that time and wanted to know more about this design. JS was willing to let me ride the Strada for hours on end at that rally. I was hooked on the bike. I got my Aerocycle in spring of '02 and became accostomed to this great bike. I did some Brevets and many double centuries in 02.
    I of course went down to Chicago to ride with the lowracer club of Ed Gin. This was of course the infamous Monkey Island before this stuff started.
    When I showed up on my Aerocycle Ed Gin politely remarked that this ride is fast and that I will probably get droped by some of the women on there lowracers. This of course did not happen and I beat all of the Monkey Island riders except Alan Arial who rode nearly full faired bicycles and used every trick in the book to gain an advantage. Also Alan was a superbly trained athlete and in my book a fine person to boot.
    My arival in Chicago created such a stir among the lowracer crowd and the fact that this design was fast spilled over to BROL with the first rumblings of the Monkey Island nonesense. Bryan Ball of course had to act and put a stop to the nonesense on his site. Of course this stuff exploded on to the Net on recumbents.com as the infamous monkey island as a response to me and my performance on the newly dubed high racer bike. There was much banter and BS on this site. Most of which will be forgotten in the long run.
    I returned to Monkey Island for more epic battles with Alan on my Aero vs. his Razz Fazz tailfaired lowracer. I hung in there against him and beat Gary Toy on his unfaired lowracer many times.
    This rivalry came to a head up in Stevens Point wisconsin in '03. There was me Rich and John up against at least 10 lowracers who tried to tag team us at the begining of the ride. Ultimately the victory went to Alan on his Razz Fazz unfaired. His training held the day and he was superb!
    Pinto held an informal coast down with Alan the next day after this "ride" and the Aero was dead even with the Razz Fazz lowracer on that coast down. This I know was devistating to the lowracer fans in Chicago and the BS continued.
    I am the only Aero rider that I know of other than my bike shop buddy in Dousman Wisconsin. Other than that I am totaly alone on the Aero.
    So I quite team Bacchetta not due to the company but due to the culture up here in Wisconsin and Trek head quarters being 13 miles from my house. I ride and continue to ride DF on all group rides in my Area. It is not that the Aero is slower. It is not. The Aero is faster than any DF bike on the market. It is just that the culture of cycling where I live is DF and DF only. I ride the Aero by myself and do not evanglise for the recumbent lifestyle even though it is a better life on a bike. It is just the way it is 13 miles from Trek's headquarters.

MG
    fgfan
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/21 10:42:18 (permalink)
    Emmett Hood in Largo, FL. In 1978 I purchased a LWB USS aluminum frame Infinity with 700 rear and 451 front. If there ever was a 'Geek Machine', this bike was it. Mostly hung in the garage as I never rode it. Bought a 1998 Vision R45 and started riding on a regular bases, after hooking up with other benters starting to come on the scene. Finally broke down and bought an Aero in 03 after all my buddys purchased Bachettas, and left me bring up the rear. Still bring up the rear, but staying in sight now. I know my best days are a faint memory as 'Ride Boss Jay' nows calls me 'Draft Dog'. Nice to be loved, but I've been called worse! Looking forward to meeting others at the Bacchetta Rally this year! Maybe with a little luck, there will actually be someone there older than me.
    Stradafied
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/21 17:54:27 (permalink)
    George Davis - or Indiana Jorge when I need to have a "J" first initial. I'm 56 going on 17 I think. My bike is a pumpkin orange Super Strada: Ultegra front, SRAM 9.0 rear, 650C wheels, either Spartacus Pro's or Zipp 404's depending on whether I want to ride an 11/21 or 11/23 cassette. Still need to get rid of the Guide-Flex one of these days.

I'd like to invite any or all of you to come up and do the RAIN ride - Ride Across Indiana. 160 miles one-way, one day. Pretty good ride IMHO. Every second Saturday in July.

Meanwhile I will be on the lookout for more Aero's to drop. I think there are two or three here in central Indiana. ;-)
    bikeolounger
    • Total Posts : 248
    Here I am 2005/01/21 20:35:27 (permalink)
    ...with one of the well-known Strada-based rides, my Gasato (Italian adjective meaning ready to go really fast right now). It was the first (to my knowledge) Campagnolo-equipped Bacchetta. I've built one much like it, but in black-on-black-on-black, for a customer, so it isn't totally unique.

I have to ride like heck just to keep up with my paint job, I will say that. Stradafied, on his first "in person" sighting of the bike, told me the pictures online don't do it justice (Thank you very much for the kind words, George!). One thing about posting pictures of this bike online--if anyone ever has the poor judgement to steal it, I can prove it's mine.

For the few of you that have not seen it:

Since this shot was taken (the day after I first built it), I've tweaked the handlebar position, laid the seat back a bit more, added the Campagnolo Ergo Brain computer, and ridden not enough miles. I'll have to get some newer shots online and post links for those interested.

For the few of you interested in knowing more about me, I'm a bike shop guy in Louisville KY, and the reason our store carries recumbents at all. I ride about 3K miles/year these days, including rides like Ride Across INdiana (and I agree with George on that one--great ride, and PERFECT for a Killer B team to roast the roadies).

I hope to meet more of you in the coming years!

Tom, aka bikeolounger

bikeolounger

Owner of the flamboyant Strada "Gasato" in
    Louisville Kentucky
    Mike Vogl
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/21 23:24:45 (permalink)
    After several successful careers and ten years as a stay-at-home dad, I've returned to school at age 50 to become a registered nurse. I also have a small company some of you know about, FastBack Designs (www.fastbacksystem.com). I started riding recumbents when hand pain and numbness became so bad I thought I might have to quit cycling. I've owned many 'bents, including an Aero, but presently ride a Strada with M5 seat; I do commute on a Cannondale touring bike sometimes, and occasionally ride a carbon Trek road bike, but for anything more than an hour the Strada gets the call.

Bacchetta is a great company run by some fine folks!

Mike
    nmaero
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: ROLL CALL! 2005/01/22 11:32:09 (permalink)
    I ride an AngleTech-built. Aero. I bought the Aero as a retirement present to myself. It's a little over a year and a half old. Approaching 6000 miles. (I previously rode a Lightning Stealth which I also enjoyed.) I participate in some of the Centuries around here (New Mexico), the El Tour in Tucson and plan to do Kelvin Clark's Slumgullion Tour again this year.

Joe Tesmer
    Age 65
    Los Alamos, NM
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 32
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1