Hot!By Monday: Thread size: Drop Outs & Water Holder?

Author
jkeenan7
  • Total Posts : 1883
  • Reward points: 0
2006/10/14 17:33:38 (permalink)

By Monday: Thread size: Drop Outs & Water Holder?

What is the thread size of the bolts used to attach stuff (i.e fenders) to the drop outs on a '03 Strada and to attach water bottles to the back of a EM seat.

Need the information by Sunday Night (10/15) as I'm headin back to Shanghai. Thanks
post edited by jkeenan7 - 2006/10/14 17:34:33

'16 Carbon Basso GS
'06 Bike Friday NWT
'99 VRexAchetta (Stolen and Born Again)
'08 Bike Friday Tandem
'13  Mukluk3 
SOLD:'05 Aero Basso '06 Ti Aero '05 Corsa '11 29er MTB  Bike Friday SAT R DAY  '07 Giro 20 '03 Strada

3 Replies Related Threads

bikeolounger
    • Total Posts : 248
    RE: By Monday: Thread size: Drop Outs & Water Holder? 2006/10/14 19:11:39 (permalink)
    Standard water bottle bolt size is M5x.8 (or is it .75?). It is the most common thread pattern in M5 diameter, methinks. Most bike shops would have a bucket full of spares.

bikeolounger

Owner of the flamboyant Strada "Gasato" in
    Louisville Kentucky
    jkeenan7
    • Total Posts : 1883
    RE: By Monday: Thread size: Drop Outs & Water Holder? 2006/10/14 22:54:38 (permalink)
    bikolounger..thanks....doh me..I forgot to mention I need some longer ones because I'm attaching fenders and a rack.

Thanks..heading to hardware store.

'16 Carbon Basso GS
    '06 Bike Friday NWT
    '99 VRexAchetta (Stolen and Born Again)
    '08 Bike Friday Tandem
    '13  Mukluk3 
    SOLD:'05 Aero Basso '06 Ti Aero '05 Corsa '11 29er MTB  Bike Friday SAT R DAY  '07 Giro 20 '03 Strada

JimM
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: RE: By Monday: Thread size: Drop Outs & Water Holder? 2021/04/27 21:35:03 (permalink)
    Just in case someone stumbles on this like I did, my Giro seat water bottle mounts (at the bottom of the sides) and the under-seat luggage rack mounts are 10-32 thread (not metric). I had to figure it out the hard way, finding various known screws and trying them until one fit. Note that I also had to poke a hole in the mesh seat cover to get to the water bottle mounts. You might never notice that they are there if you were not told to look. I used and awl to stretch open the fabric without breaking the threads, but it was too hard to get a screw started with the fabric stretching over the screw. Of course that was when I was trying to start an M5 0.80 standard water bottle screw, which is too large. I even ground a point on the screw so that it would center into the hole, and that might have worked well if I had the right size at that point. I used a soldering iron to melt a larger hole in the fabric. That did not go all that well, but I I managed to make a slightly oversized hole without ruining the cover. I put a bead of hot melt glue around each hole to make sure that the fabric did not tear out. I had to cut a 1/4" thick x about 1.5" wide stick with a 45 degree angle (and sanded smooth) and a hole at the end (for the soldering iron to poke through) so that I could lift the fabric off of the water bottle mount tabs while I made the holes and laid the hot melt glue bead. In the end, I didn't need to put points on the screws. I was able to start them with only minor alignment difficulties once the holes were in place and I had the right screws.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1