Hot!Any Interest in a Euromesh Headrest?

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
AeroDon
  • Total Posts : 1460
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Velcro IS OUT...SnapLock IS IN!!! 2007/05/17 21:36:51 (permalink)
In looking back at the literature, the bonding tape it 3M Dual Lock.....good stuff

AeroDon
CA 2.0 700c Ti Aero
ADEM headrests Support so you can Really Recline
http://ademhr.com
Kalgrm
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: Velcro IS OUT...SnapLock IS IN!!! 2007/05/17 21:42:25 (permalink)

I have adapted my headrest to SnapLock and really like the results. If, after a week or so of riding with it, I see no problems, all future ADEM headrests will use the SnapLock tape.
AeroDon aims to please!!!

Ooh, I'm really hoping the two you sent out to us today have the upgrades. Tell me it's so Don! ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
AeroDon
RE: Velcro IS OUT...SnapLock IS IN!!! 2007/05/17 22:07:12 (permalink)
Na, Until I prove out the new stuff and get some on order, it is still velcro.  like I say, no-one but John) has lost one yet.

Assuming things prove out, I can probably send some new tape, for a small fee, to those who want it.  On mine, I managed to strip off the velcro and install the Dual Lock in its place. 

It turns out though, that high performance isn't cheap....about $1 for each headrest.

By the way, Graeme, Your headrsts ARE in transit.  USPS predicts 6-10 days.

And, I will definitely have to look into PayPal a little more.

Thanks, Don
post edited by AeroDon - 2007/05/17 22:09:46

AeroDon
CA 2.0 700c Ti Aero
neilcooper
  • Total Posts : 238
RE: Velcro IS OUT...SnapLock IS IN!!! 2007/05/29 09:13:58 (permalink)
Hi Don.

Graeme installed his headrest  & we arranged to meet up so I could pick mine up & he could instal it for me.

On the ride home from Graeme's, it felt great. At my angle of recline it's perfect.

Now I just have to fit my brainbox around it.

Neil Cooper - Corsa '05
My Videos at Vimeo
Nic
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Velcro IS OUT...SnapLock IS IN!!! 2007/05/29 09:23:28 (permalink)
Gotta say TOP NOTCH DON!!!! 

#1  Terrific SERVICE!!!!   
#2  Recieved item quickly 
#3  The new industrial strength velcro works GREAT!!!!!
#4  I have used both LG headrest on my carbon seat and now ADEM headrest with my new EM seat and BOTH ARE GREAT products!!!!!!!!! 
#5  Rode 85miles this weekend with my new EM and ADEM headrest and WOW!!!!  VERY NICE!!! 

I need to adjust my stiffy stem and riser a bit higher due to the slight rise in seat height compared to my carbon seat, but overall GREAT products!!!

Huge thank you DON!!!!!!
post edited by Nic - 2007/05/29 09:27:43

Nic Morel
Corsa SS
Can't beat em... Ban em...

Check out my cave.
http://www.freewebs.com/nicmorel
Nic
RE: Velcro IS OUT...SnapLock IS IN!!! 2007/07/02 16:20:59 (permalink)
Hey AeroDon what glue you use to put on the rolled foam?  Curious cause foam is stuck on GREAT!!!  I've removed the foam head rest many many times taking my brain box on/off and it is doing GREAT!!!  I wanna get some glue just incase it EVER does come unglued!!!  So far your head rest is EXCELLENT!!!!!!!  The industrial velcro (SnapLock) is definately the right choice!!!  I highly recomend this headrest to anyone that asks me about it!!!! 

Oh and on side note there was another Bacchetta rider I met on Bike Across Kansas that was using your headrest on a recurve seat and said it works GREAT also!!! 
post edited by Nic - 2007/07/02 16:23:57

Nic Morel
Corsa SS

Check out my cave.
AeroDon
RE: Velcro IS OUT...SnapLock IS IN!!! 2007/07/02 17:07:10 (permalink)
Maybe I should take out some stock in 3M.  The velcro replacement it 3M Dual Lock and the glue is 3M Super 77....just spray it on both pieces, let them set up, and then assemble them....for good.

Glad it is working for you, Nic....Enjoy!

AeroDon
CA 2.0 700c Ti Aero
AeroDon
Any Interest in a TALLER ADEM Headrest??? 2007/08/01 05:43:05 (permalink)
The comments I receive on the ADEM headrest for the Euromesh seat are nearly always positive and I appreciate that.  I have made a several positive (I believe) design changes based on feedback I have received (like "ditch the velcro").

While the ADEM has seemed to work well for most folks, I have received a few requests recently, from taller riders for a TALLER version.  I think I can accomodate that request by adding an inch to the plastic backing plate of the pad.  This would allow the pad to be attached up to 1 inch higher, using the Dual Lock fastening tape.  This should not cause any problem for shorter folks attaching the pad lower, but if desired, one could easily trim some off the bottom of the plastic backing plate.

I have talked to the machine shop that makes my metal brackets and I can also add about 1/2" to the top of the bracket.  Depending on the responses I receive, I may pursue that design change with the next set of brackets...but that is a couple of months off.

So, please....SOUND OFF!!!  Is there really a need for more height on the ADEM? 

If so, for those who want to upgrade, or just would like to go the Dual Lock attachment, I could make some of the taller style pads available for say, $10 plus $1 shipping.  Since these would use the new Dual Lock attachment tape, I would also include the mating tape for installation on the old support bracket.  On mine, I was able to remove enough of the velcro and its glue using a window scraper (razor blade) to firmly attach the Dual Lock.

Again, your feedback is appreciated and if you want one of the taller pads, just drop me an e-mail at dlayeratbellsouth.net.

AeroDon
CA 2.0 700c Ti Aero
PCRX
  • Total Posts : 368
RE: Any Interest in a TALLER ADEM Headrest??? 2007/08/01 13:20:14 (permalink)
Don,

I am one who loves the headrest but am interested in a taller version. Since I have become comfortable on the bike I have reclined the seat further and now the rest is more at the back of my neck, and needs about 2" more adjustment to be (where I feel) would be in the right place.

I would be worried though about not having a long enough bracket. On my headrest I have it adjusted as high as I can before I feel it might dislodge from the metal bracket with too much force pushing back on it. There should be ample bracing behind the head that is attached directly to the seat IMHO. You can imagine that having the foam pad and plastic plate dislodge given too much back-pressure could result in the flat metal portion hitting straight into the base of the neck. Ouch. I am so paranoid of this with my height adjustment that use a few thick zip ties around the bracket and pad base to "be sure."

Kudos to going to the industrial velcro - the stuff  rules! 

Are folks out there using these to place the pad more at the neck - or more behind the head?
post edited by PCRX - 2007/08/01 13:21:45
Nic
RE: Any Interest in a TALLER ADEM Headrest??? 2007/08/01 14:47:57 (permalink)
Mine currently is working, and I do have the foam plate as high as possible.  Haven't had the 3M dual lock break loose and put around 1000miles roughly with new ADEM headrest.  But if had a longer version I woulda taken that instead.  This winter when I'm looking into my next bike (Corsa or Aero) if I go with EM seat I'll be sending ya some cash again for new bike headrest and hopefully will have longer reach. 

Oh and to answer question PCRX the most comfortable place I rest on the headrest is right on the base of the head/neck right under the helmet strap.  Where the neck meets the base of the head.
post edited by Nic - 2007/08/01 14:52:27

Nic Morel
Corsa SS

Check out my cave.
AeroDon
RE: Any Interest in a TALLER ADEM Headrest??? 2007/08/01 18:06:25 (permalink)
Are folks out there using these to place the pad more at the neck - or more behind the head?

Actually, headrest is kind of a misnomer.  Most folks have their headrest set just below the base of the skull.  Most helmets extend down nearly that far and the headrest must be below the helmet.

You raise a valid concern about what if the pad came off.  I haven't seen any problems to date and I hope I never do.  I'm 5'-10" and don't even have the pad all the way at the top of the support bracket.  With the holding strength of the Dual Lock, I felt like the pad could probably be raised maybe 1/2" above the top of the bracket and still have adequate attachment.  That would still place the center of the pad on the bracket.  My thought in extending the foot was to place allow the pad to be higher and still have just as much attachment area.

Again, I am just trying to respond to a few taller folks resquests.

AeroDon
CA 2.0 700c Ti Aero
AeroDon
RE: Any Interest in a TALLER ADEM Headrest??? 2007/08/04 09:44:41 (permalink)
Well, I've gotten one taker, so far.  (Thanks Ike.  It'll go out today.)  I wasn't sure just how well this idea would work until I made one. http://www.bacchettabikes.com/forum2/photo.asp?photoid=329&asortType=6&apage=1  Now, I know it's a keeper.  The new taller pad allows up to 2 inches more vertical adjustment than the old pad.  I expect I will provide the taller pad with all future headrests.  If you don't need the extra height, just cut off the bottom. 
I was a little concerned after PCRX commented about the pad possibly coming off.  After trying one, it works just fine.  That Dual Lock is great stuff.  What actually happens is by raising the pad, that results in more spring in the bracket.  I expect the bracket would bend before the Snap Lock came loose.  I know, that is what happened when I hit the armadillo a few months back.  When the bike flew into the air, my head went back and the headrest bracket actually bent a little bit.  I had to tweek it after the crash.

Anyway, this is kind of a fun project and I like it to work as well as possible for as many folks as possible.  So, here it is....the taller ADAM.
post edited by AeroDon - 2007/08/04 09:45:13

AeroDon
CA 2.0 700c Ti Aero
Ike1
  • Total Posts : 809
RE: Any Interest in a TALLER ADEM Headrest??? 2007/08/06 12:49:41 (permalink)
Don -
a little war story here that relates to your concerns about the pad coming off.

I was on a long downhill stretch coming home a couple months ago... four miles at 30-40 mph.  I was just cruising along with my head on the ADEM.  I never saw anything coming when I ran into a big chunk of something that took a 1/4 inch piece out of my rear tire and bent the rim.  The headrest velcro never came loose or off, but the zip ties around the top of the seat both snapped.

You make a good product.

Jim Iken

2012 700c Carbon Aero 2.0
1989 Klein Team Super (now just garage hanging art)

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it... if you live."
- Mark Twain
AeroDon
ADEM's new Optional Light Bracket 2007/12/31 12:29:10 (permalink)
I have had several requests for the light bracket I have on my ADEM headrest, but to date, I have just told people that was how I set mine up and it is easy to make if they want to add one.  Well after one person asked me to make him one, I decided to offer it as an option for those who don't want to "do it yourself".

The bracket is shown here:  http://www.bacchettabikes.com/forum2/photo.asp?photoid=364&asortType=6&apage=1  It is made to fit the CATEYE TL-LD600 5 LED light, my personal favorite. 
You can see the complete installation here: http://www.bacchettabikes.com/forum2/photo.asp?photoid=238&asortType=6&apage=1
I can either provide it mounted on the ADEM headrest when I ship it, or for those who already have a headrest, I can provide the bracket and mounting screws.  Attachement on an  existing ADEM would require drilling and countersinking two holes.  The price of the bracket, either mounted  on a new ADEM or separate is $7.
I appreciate the good words everyone has had for the ADEM.  I aim to please whenever I can.

AeroDon
CA 2.0 700c Ti Aero
bent eagle
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: ADEM's new Optional Light Bracket 2008/01/09 00:16:22 (permalink)
I bought one of Don's headrests a couple of months ago, but I just got around to installing it today.  I didn't get a chance to take it out for a ride yet, but just wanted to post that the installation process is very easy. 

It does involve melting 4 holes through the mesh, but that is pretty easy, especially if you have experience installing bottle cages to the back of the seat.  When you get to the part about threading the zip ties through the lower part of the bracket, a pair of long-nose needle-nose pliers works well.

After installing, I tried lying in the seat to adjust the vertical placement of the pad.  It was easy to do and felt very comfortable. 

Great product, Don!
post edited by bent eagle - 2008/01/09 00:20:50

Steve W
Ti Aero
3degree
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RE: Any Interest in a Euromesh Headrest? 2019/08/11 18:46:35 (permalink)
Don,

What model headrest would be used on a Cafe?
Tom A
  • Total Posts : 959
Re: RE: Any Interest in a Euromesh Headrest? 2019/08/13 16:23:31 (permalink)
3degree, Sorry to inform you that Don Appel (AeroDon) was killed by a motorist a couple or three months ago.  Not sure that the ADEM head rest is available any longer

'02 Orange Strada
'11 CA2-700
Tour Easy
Atlanta, GA
3degree
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RE: Any Interest in a Euromesh Headrest? 2019/08/13 17:05:35 (permalink)
That's horrible!! I'm so sorry to hear that!
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1