Hot!CA3 and Ti Aero - Dialing Them In. CA2 My Steady Eddy

Author
Doc Dan
  • Total Posts : 1663
  • Reward points: 0
2020/08/08 11:32:28 (permalink)

CA3 and Ti Aero - Dialing Them In. CA2 My Steady Eddy

The CA3 has a compact double (50/34) and is my `go to' bike for climbing (11/36 ten speed in back).  The Ti Aero `had' a 55/39 (130 BCD) up front but I just changed it over to a compact double (110 BCD) because I tended to neglect it while `overusing' the CA3. 

The CA3 wound up taking a lot of (ab)use, requiring more service and parts replacement.  Though I prefer the `large' frame CA3 over the `medium' frame Ti Aero it takes only a few miles on the Ti to feel comfortable with the difference.  I run 650 wheels on both but the CA3 has a rear disc brake and the Ti Aero has rim brakes.

On a recent training ride in Flagstaff I rode the CA3 and the disc brake really made the difference.  A long, 7% descent into a strong crosswind had me leaning hard on the rear disc brake.  

The CA2? In my `shed' set up on the Wahoo Kickr for indoor training.  Why not more `on the road' use of the CA2?  It has 700 wheels.  With my Kent Polk Railgun Seat and steep recline my legs aren't long enough to comfortably reach the road without risk of slipping.  (This wouldn't be the case if I had a traditional CFHS seat.  Less recline means more of my legs available to reach the ground).  The front rings are a double (58/42) on a 130 BCD.  Only useful on flat roads.  Just too aggressive for local (mountainous) climbing.  

I'm sticking with Bacchetta for many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that the core frame allows for a great deal of customizing to suit my needs.  I very much like the `stick' bike platform over the S curve.  Of course, as well, in mountainous terrain I have found front wheel drive movable bottom bracket (Cruzbikes: Vendetta, Silvio, Sofrider) is unsafe on steep twisty descents (death wish).  Also, the Cbike frame just doesn't allow for much customizing.  

post edited by Doc Dan - 2020/08/09 05:46:17

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1