Gravity attack

Author
Doc Dan
  • Total Posts : 1636
  • Reward points: 0
2019/10/18 21:10:08 (permalink)

Gravity attack

While doing a bike race in Texas (`No Country for Old Men') last weekend I went over a very rough cattle guard. The front tire hit so hard that it `pinched' against the rim of the wheel and blew the tube. The wheel rim, then, slipped on the rough chip seal and the bike went down hard, sliding about 20 feet across the road into the dirt and rock. One of the `exciting' aspects of a race. We fixed the flat and I continued on. Though it looks ugly it is superficial skin damage and bruising.

Attached Image(s)

4 Replies Related Threads

thecanoe
    • Total Posts : 1520
    Re: Gravity attack 2019/10/22 08:12:23 (permalink)
    Yikes.

Larry

Ti Aero
    Surly Moonlander fat bike
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon 29er
    Bassyak (for stripers and blues)
    Paul M
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Gravity attack 2019/11/19 07:42:18 (permalink)
    That's exactly why I wear a pair of MB armoured shorts.
    Bruising hurts, but a broken hip would be a lot worse.
    Funnily enough I like the tailbone protector too - it just unweights the glutes.
    bentcyclist
    • Total Posts : 457
    Re: Gravity attack 2019/11/19 12:03:39 (permalink)
    Paul, what brand do you use? Any comfort and fit issues on longer rides?
    Paul M
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Gravity attack 2019/11/19 13:35:07 (permalink)
    Mine are tenn https://www.amazon.co.uk/Padded-Protector-Armour-Cycling-Shorts/dp/B006JY4S2C ; hard to comment as I'm so used to these on the Corsa I'd feel uncomfortable without. They don't seem to be available any more, but of course there is a wide range of alternatives. I think the main thing for us is to avoid any with a built in seat pad.  There don't seem to be many with tailbone pads, which as I say I was surprised to find I rather like, but of course its the hip protectors that really matter. If I come off I hope to avoid putting my arms out too far, and come down on the thigh. Thankfully I haven't needed to see how that works out in practice. I've had a couple of scary moments with front pinch blow outs on descents, but been luck enough to be able to keep control and use the rear brake. Whatever, on balance, I'd prefer those scenarios to be FF on the Corsa compared to HF on my drop bar.
    There was a truly tragic case reported this month https://road.cc/content/news/268351-orange-bikes-lynchpin-michael-bonney-brings-his-life-its-end-six-years-after 

Take care on the descents guys, it can be tempting to use the aero advantage to its fullest when a bit of braking might be a wise choice.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1