Hot!Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents

Author
cnut
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points: 0
2019/10/15 16:16:56 (permalink)

Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents

I've now been riding recumbents for some 12-15 years including many years of commuting on them.   Now at 57, I suddenly seem to have developed a sore tailbone and riding a recumbent in the reclining position seems to put pressure on it. Its not excruciating pain but enough (maybe a 4/10) to make me uncomfortable.   Has anybody else ever encountered this issue?  If yes, what did you do to recover? And how long does it take to recover?  

I took a month off but a short test jaunt on my recumbent brought back the pain/soreness.  My seat is not really super-reclined.  I also don't think this is a case of recumbent butt. I don't get this pain when I sit upright at my desk but I notice some discomfort when I sit on a my recliner chair at home.   For both the reclining chair and the recumbent bike,  leaning back against something seems to make the tailbone problem worse.

So,  I am in this odd position of contemplating switching back to DF bikes as the more comfortable choice, given this tailbone pain.   I'm not super-enthusiastic about switching, but if that's the only way I can bike, I will probably do it.  Anybody advice or pointers based on your experience with this kind of thing would be appreciated. Thanks.

6 Replies Related Threads

Doc Dan
    • Total Posts : 1648
    Re: Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents 2019/10/15 20:23:41 (permalink)
    Could be nothing but it is important to get a medical examination.  Sooner the better.  
    tojesky
    • Total Posts : 627
    Re: Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents 2019/10/17 05:36:39 (permalink)
    From your post, it appears you are on a hard shell seat like a CA2/3 or Corsa.  Since you've been riding a while and it just recently started, you may need to replace your seat pad. I had an old seat pad age to a point that it had no support and compressed completely when I sat on it. I was bouncing on the hard shell when hitting bumps. I went to a Ventisit pad that solved that issue.  Some do not like the Ventisit but it is the best seat pad I have used.

2013 CA2.0 - 700c
    2014 ICE VTX+
    2013 Invacare Force G hand cycle
    2006 Corsa  (Sold July, 2013)
    thecanoe
    • Total Posts : 1522
    Re: Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents 2019/10/22 08:16:27 (permalink)
    When I first went to a recumbent in 2000, I had a vision with a mesh seat. When I bought my Ti Aero in 2003 it came with a carbon seat that gave me the same problem. I switched to recurve seat and never looked back. Might be with going to your Bacchetta dealer and road test a model with the new model recurve.

Larry

Ti Aero
    Surly Moonlander fat bike
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon 29er
    Bassyak (for stripers and blues)
    iceman
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents 2019/11/01 17:12:41 (permalink)
      Several months ago I had tailbone pain.
     I tried adding extra padding to my seat but can't say it really made a difference.
     As it turns out tailbones are very slow to heal.
     I think the pain just went away on it's own.
     But it took about 6 months .
     I have no idea what brought it on in the first place.
     It did go away, it just took a long time.
    cnut
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents 2020/03/06 23:01:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the responses here...

1) I saw an orthopedist.  After some X-rays,  he did not find anything internal that could be the problem.  He put me on a heavy regimen of Ibuprofin which seemed to lower the discomfort but was not really a cure.  He also said that the tailbone was kind of odd - stuff like stretching etc doesn't do much to the tailbone (which is why he put me on ibuprofin as the only option)
    2) Now some 3+ months later,  the tailbone pain has gone down quite a bit but I still feel some sensitivity in the tailbone.
    3) I am going to try switching to Euromesh to see if that works (plus I already have this).   It seems like some folks have switched to Recurve to solve this problem,  but on the website at least,  it says that Recurve does not work with CA2.

Will post an update here after the switch + some riding.   As iceman said - this is taking a long time
    post edited by cnut - 2020/03/06 23:02:55
    thecanoe
    • Total Posts : 1522
    Re: Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents 2020/03/13 14:34:19 (permalink)
    The new B3 seat would be just the ticket. I was one of the original testers of the prototype. It’s got all the adjustments you’ll need. Maybe your local Bacchetta dealer has one to try.

Larry

Ti Aero
    Surly Moonlander fat bike
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon 29er
    Bassyak (for stripers and blues)
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1