Hot!Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents

Author
cnut
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points: 0
2019/10/15 16:16:56 (permalink)

Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents

I've now been riding recumbents for some 12-15 years including many years of commuting on them.   Now at 57, I suddenly seem to have developed a sore tailbone and riding a recumbent in the reclining position seems to put pressure on it. Its not excruciating pain but enough (maybe a 4/10) to make me uncomfortable.   Has anybody else ever encountered this issue?  If yes, what did you do to recover? And how long does it take to recover?  

I took a month off but a short test jaunt on my recumbent brought back the pain/soreness.  My seat is not really super-reclined.  I also don't think this is a case of recumbent butt. I don't get this pain when I sit upright at my desk but I notice some discomfort when I sit on a my recliner chair at home.   For both the reclining chair and the recumbent bike,  leaning back against something seems to make the tailbone problem worse.

So,  I am in this odd position of contemplating switching back to DF bikes as the more comfortable choice, given this tailbone pain.   I'm not super-enthusiastic about switching, but if that's the only way I can bike, I will probably do it.  Anybody advice or pointers based on your experience with this kind of thing would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 Replies Related Threads

Doc Dan
    • Total Posts : 1636
    Re: Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents 2019/10/15 20:23:41 (permalink)
    Could be nothing but it is important to get a medical examination.  Sooner the better.  
    tojesky
    • Total Posts : 623
    Re: Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents 2019/10/17 05:36:39 (permalink)
    From your post, it appears you are on a hard shell seat like a CA2/3 or Corsa.  Since you've been riding a while and it just recently started, you may need to replace your seat pad. I had an old seat pad age to a point that it had no support and compressed completely when I sat on it. I was bouncing on the hard shell when hitting bumps. I went to a Ventisit pad that solved that issue.  Some do not like the Ventisit but it is the best seat pad I have used.

2013 CA2.0 - 700c
    2014 ICE VTX+
    2013 Invacare Force G hand cycle
    2006 Corsa  (Sold July, 2013)
    thecanoe
    • Total Posts : 1520
    Re: Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents 2019/10/22 08:16:27 (permalink)
    When I first went to a recumbent in 2000, I had a vision with a mesh seat. When I bought my Ti Aero in 2003 it came with a carbon seat that gave me the same problem. I switched to recurve seat and never looked back. Might be with going to your Bacchetta dealer and road test a model with the new model recurve.

Larry

Ti Aero
    Surly Moonlander fat bike
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon 29er
    Bassyak (for stripers and blues)
    iceman
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Strange problem of a sore tailbone when riding recumbents 2019/11/01 17:12:41 (permalink)
      Several months ago I had tailbone pain.
     I tried adding extra padding to my seat but can't say it really made a difference.
     As it turns out tailbones are very slow to heal.
     I think the pain just went away on it's own.
     But it took about 6 months .
     I have no idea what brought it on in the first place.
     It did go away, it just took a long time.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1