Helpful ReplyHot!Touring

Author
rangerbentman
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2019/04/23 10:19:48 (permalink)

Touring

My Giro A20 has good panniers ( I made them ) and what I find is all that weight back there makes the front end a bit lighter than what I would like. Is there any rack I can put on the front end to distribute the weight a bit better without messing up the handling?
nobby
  • Total Posts : 184
Re: Touring 2019/04/24 23:43:21 (permalink)
I'm just returning to a Bacchetta Giro ATT 20, but when I had a Giro 20 ten years ago I put all the heavy items in panniers under the seat and had no handling problems.
Now that I have had 10 years of lightening my load for backpacking, which has also resulted in less bulk, my plan this year is under seat panniers (Older Ortlieb front panniers at 30L/pair), Radical Sidepods (off my Trice at 25L/pair) and the 8L bag on the seat back. That's almost twice the volume of my three day rucsack without using the rear rack although I have the option of a pair of very old Karrimor panniers with 35L capacity to go on there.

Giro20Girl
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Touring 2019/04/26 20:00:48 (permalink)
nobby
I'm just returning to a Bacchetta Giro ATT 20, but when I had a Giro 20 ten years ago I put all the heavy items in panniers under the seat and had no handling problems.
Now that I have had 10 years of lightening my load for backpacking, which has also resulted in less bulk, my plan this year is under seat panniers (Older Ortlieb front panniers at 30L/pair), Radical Sidepods (off my Trice at 25L/pair) and the 8L bag on the seat back. That's almost twice the volume of my three day rucsack without using the rear rack although I have the option of a pair of very old Karrimor panniers with 

* About your rack set up:  Did you use the Terracycle EasyReacher rack, what seat you you have, and is your wheelbase size - long, short?  Thanks in advance.

nobby
  • Total Posts : 184
Re: Touring 2019/04/28 01:42:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Giro20Girl 2019/04/28 07:59:00
Hi Giro20Girl
"Did you use the Terracycle EasyReacher rack" - that I cannot remember but it was a similar shape: 
"what seat you you have," - the one with the big fat seat cushion. Found it very uncomfortable for the coccyx until I cut a lump out of the foam
"your wheelbase size - long, short" - alway short and getting shorter. Age may not withereth but it definitely shorteneth.

HTH

post edited by nobby - 2019/04/28 01:43:57
Giro20Girl
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Touring 2019/07/20 20:03:49 (permalink)
Hi nobby,
I have the Euromesh seat, and a short wheel base frame.

I suspect that I can't install the EasyReacher rack with the Euromesh seat. I can't find any information about this. I even contacted Terracycle and got no response. 

Thanks for your photo and info on bags and weight. I will try a few things. I may try to find a smaller rear rack thst sits lower, and try different panniers, as I have a collection!
If I really want to pursue loaded touring, I may get a low trailer, like a Bob style. I will find a way! 😀
bgobie
  • Total Posts : 808
Re: Touring 2019/08/08 23:24:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nobby 2019/09/03 23:52:51
You can definitely use an Easy Reacher rack with a Euromesh seat. The seat has nothing to do with the rack. The rack mounts only to the frame. You will be limited to (DF) front panniers. Large panniers would drag on the ground. You can't mount the rack too far forward or the panniers will interfere with putting your feet down.

I prefer recumbent panniers, like the ones from Radical or Arkel. They snug up under the seat, presenting less frontal area and drag. Since they slope down in front, you can load heavy stuff forward and expect it to stay there. The larger ones require a rear rack. 

This is my Aero with Radical's medium underseat bags and the universal rear rack Bacchetta sells. I should have taken the bottle cages off the seat and cinched the bags up closer under the seat.

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1