Zwift ... and the alternative

Author
Doc Dan
  • Total Posts : 1591
  • Reward points: 0
2019/01/04 15:34:24 (permalink)

Zwift ... and the alternative

Its winter.  And I find myself resisting heading out on the bike.  So ... its indoor training.  (Or, in my case, front porch/deck training).  Which means I'd rather get a root canal.  

While recuperating from the fake knee installation I watched YouTube indoor training videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C0RXULN9BA).  They were surprisingly good, esp. in terms of making the time pass by with less boredom.  But there were times I wanted to break away from behind the video cyclist and chase other cyclists, descend more quickly or just go faster.  Which generated my interest in Zwift.  

Zwift is a great platform for indoor training.  No question about it.  Maybe the best.  But, after doing lots of investigating I'm not going to go the `Zwift' way.  Here's why.

To get the benefit of Zwift you have to have a trainer that registers power and can communicate via 'puter and internet with the Zwift application.  I don't have a `smart' trainer.  I have the LeMond Revolution without the `Wattbox.'  

I hacked the LR so that it can register speed on my Garmin 500, but not watts.  Not `power.'  

In order for me to get the real benefit of Zwift I'd have to buy a smart trainer.  And I don't want to spend the money.  At least not yet.  

However, the Zwift folks say that I could still participate with Zwift.  But that makes no real sense.  And it would be nothing different from what I'm already doing with YouTube.  

So ... try some of those indoor training YouTube vids.  They're pretty cool.  

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1