Hot!Zwift ... and the alternative

Author
Doc Dan
  • Total Posts : 1612
  • Reward points: 0
2019/01/04 15:34:24 (permalink)

Zwift ... and the alternative

Its winter.  And I find myself resisting heading out on the bike.  So ... its indoor training.  (Or, in my case, front porch/deck training).  Which means I'd rather get a root canal.  

While recuperating from the fake knee installation I watched YouTube indoor training videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C0RXULN9BA).  They were surprisingly good, esp. in terms of making the time pass by with less boredom.  But there were times I wanted to break away from behind the video cyclist and chase other cyclists, descend more quickly or just go faster.  Which generated my interest in Zwift.  

Zwift is a great platform for indoor training.  No question about it.  Maybe the best.  But, after doing lots of investigating I'm not going to go the `Zwift' way.  Here's why.

To get the benefit of Zwift you have to have a trainer that registers power and can communicate via 'puter and internet with the Zwift application.  I don't have a `smart' trainer.  I have the LeMond Revolution without the `Wattbox.'  

I hacked the LR so that it can register speed on my Garmin 500, but not watts.  Not `power.'  

In order for me to get the real benefit of Zwift I'd have to buy a smart trainer.  And I don't want to spend the money.  At least not yet.  

However, the Zwift folks say that I could still participate with Zwift.  But that makes no real sense.  And it would be nothing different from what I'm already doing with YouTube.  

So ... try some of those indoor training YouTube vids.  They're pretty cool.  

6 Replies Related Threads

gasman06
    • Total Posts : 214
    Re: Zwift ... and the alternative 2019/01/22 12:28:18 (permalink)
    Dan, I use the Wahoo Kickr and Zwift. In fact use it even in the warmer months, since the roads around me are not really all that safe for riding, IMHO. I have completed the 12 hours at Sebring, not my best distance, but I got lazy. I have ridden a 300K on the Silver Comet and Chief Ladiga trails. I will be back at Sebring again this year, doing the 12 hour. If I were to purchase another smart trainer I would probably go with the Trax Neo. It is super quiet, the Kickr is not. 

"The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it."
    -- Doug Bradbury

Bob
    CA 2.0
    Trek 1500
    Doc Dan
    • Total Posts : 1612
    Re: Zwift ... and the alternative 2019/01/23 20:02:17 (permalink)
    It's pretty much a toss up. 

My training on the direct drive (LeMond Revolution) is pound for pound, minute for minute, better than on a device assisted by virtual racing or riding.  I trained for years on a Computrainer, where the resistance generator was regulated by a virtual course on a computer and monitor.  I'd simulate dozens of challenging courses, even with a virtual competitor.  

But with the direct drive function there is no let up. That is, I don't coast, don't go `down hill,' don't draft.  It's just speed and time.  Granted, without a visual display of virtual racers indoor work can be very, very grim.  But my indoor work is more effective these days with just the Youtube videos and some heart-attack stimulating music (www.podrunner.com).  Today I watched a climb up Mt. Ventoux, cycling for two hours at 16.8 avg mph on the direct drive.  
    La Tortue
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 19
    More research needed 2019/01/24 16:47:00 (permalink)
    Dan says, "And it would be nothing different from what I'm already doing with YouTube."     Zwift offers a lot more than a video playing in the background, even when you go with zwiftpower using a dumb trainer and a device to measure wheel speed.  You should consider doing more research as there are a variety of opportunities someone like you can benefit from.  There is a reason over 1/2 million riders have given it a try .  It is a lot more than an icon toodling around a track.
    post edited by La Tortue - 2019/01/25 13:33:48
    Crit Rider
    • Total Posts : 1921
    Re: More research needed 2019/01/27 12:13:13 (permalink)
    Perhaps there are better ways to get fitter that are less mentally fatiguing than a root canal, rather than more. 
    bgobie
    • Total Posts : 807
    Re: More research needed 2019/01/30 23:21:09 (permalink)
    What's this? There is winter in Arizona?

No rain today in Seattle. Three wool layers. It was glorious.
    jeffssmith1
    • Total Posts : 895
    Re: More research needed 2019/02/09 09:26:28 (permalink)
    I jog on a treadmill in the winter while I'm dreaming of perhaps doing a cycling trip this summer.

Jeff Smith
    2006 Corsa - Colorado
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1