Hot!THIS I Didn't Expect

Author
Doc Dan
  • Total Posts : 1584
  • Reward points: 0
2018/08/26 17:36:33 (permalink)

THIS I Didn't Expect

We live in remarkable times. 

Two weeks ago tomorrow a surgeon sawed out Mrs. Fallon's kid's right knee and replaced it with a fake one.  (Really! That's what first came to mind after the surgery.  "I'm gonna tell Momma about that stinker doctor.")

Not much pain.  I can already sense the absence of the offending arthritis and associated bone on bone damage.  I'm relieved.  But what I did NOT expect was to experience such a profound impact on my stamina.  I had been doing indoor training on the rower and the bike for six weeks, two hours a day, in preparation for the surgery.  Two days after the surgery I walked up one flight of stairs and had to lay down on the bed, gasping for breath like a beached whale. 

Today I returned to work for four hour days and three day weeks.  My stamina (from the neck up) has returned.  But afterwords, returning home, I needed a nice nap.  A NAP?!!  And I was able to eat only half a sandwich.  

So the take-home message for me is that my body recognizes the surgery as a major trauma and is telling to go hide in cave, shut up and wait a long time.  I didn't expect that.  But I understand it and it makes sense.  

Deliberate and disciplined rest is the hardest of tasks.  

2 Replies Related Threads

noahvale
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re: THIS I Didn't Expect 2018/08/28 06:51:35 (permalink)
    It takes a while to get over the anesthesia, more than a couple of weeks. You might feel fine, but it is still in your bloodstream. I had that problem after my back surgery. Then it took over 4 months for the damaged sciatic nerve to heal all the way and stop hurting. Nov. will be two years. I feel like I'm 30 years younger! 

Doc Dan
    • Total Posts : 1584
    Re: THIS I Didn't Expect 2018/08/29 09:23:21 (permalink)
    Hey Butch ...
    I'm glad to hear the sciatica / laminectomy turned out good for you.  Futzing around for a year with insurance companies for a year has had to be a nightmare. 

I wouldn't know about the longer term effect of a general anaesthesia.  Never had one before.  Just over two weeks since the surgery I'm probably doing very well.  Ache and some pain but ... barely over two weeks. 

I drove a familiar mountainous route yesterday in my van just to feel the familiar ears popping.  I'm getting really antsy.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1