Hot!In praise of thicker foam

Author
Bogiesan
  • Total Posts : 88
  • Reward points: 0
2018/05/28 07:30:32 (permalink)

In praise of thicker foam

Put forty miles on the new three-inch foam yesterday. Slid the seat to the rear about 1-1/2”, dropped the recline about 3/4”, and took off. Felt like i was way up in the air for a while but I settled in quickly.
Who knew an additional inch and a half could make so much difference?
Highly recommended for a relatively inexpensive upgrade in comfort.
https://imgur.com/gallery/xatRynA

3 Replies Related Threads

Crit Rider
    • Total Posts : 1900
    Re: In praise of thicker foam 2018/05/30 17:30:40 (permalink)
    Man, if I only had room to move my seat farther back and down. 
    Doc Dan
    • Total Posts : 1562
    Re: In praise of thicker foam 2018/05/31 05:37:57 (permalink)
    Crit Rider

Jim ...
    larger frame?
    Railgun seat?
    Tiller? (I had one made for me that is long enough to allow a comfortable reach).
    But you've certainly already considered these options.  
    FormerRoadSkater
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: In praise of thicker foam 2018/06/20 12:59:01 (permalink)
    Doc Dan
    Crit Rider

larger frame?

The taller you are the worse it gets!

Maybe you could get Bacchetta to make you a custom extra-long aluminum or steel frame? (Rich Pinto already told me years ago that this was not feasible for carbon fiber frames with their production process. However, I did not ask about aluminum or steel frames.)

Maybe you could cut two Bacchetta steel frames in two at different points and weld the longer front section from one frame to the longer rear section from the other frame for an extra long frame?

Maybe you could get a custom extra-long carbon fiber Carbent frame from Bent Up Cycles? (You would know more about that than I.)

Here is a bike that I built in Germany with a custom extra-long Hi-Liner steel frame from BuS Velomo (who will not ship to the U.S. for insurance reasons) to allow for more seat recline:

Once you go custom you also have the option of attaching the rear axle to the chain stays at a higher point and running the power chain *over* the right chain stay instead of under it. This will lower the rear end of the bike and the seat. However, it will also reduce wheel/seat clearance and limit seat recline. You can regain that clearance by making the frame even longer but that will raise the seat again, thus reducing the net lowering gain. Another way to lower the seat is to reduce the amount by which the head tube sticks out below the main tube. This will lower the front end of the bike and the seat at the cost of giving up front caliper brake compatibility. (I chose neither of these options.)

If the front of the seat curves up you can make it easier to reach the ground, without lowering the seat, by cutting off part of the front section of the seat.

A longer frame will require two idlers, one in the rear to keep the power chain off the right chain stay and another one in the front to keep the return chain off the fork.

On my stock Bacchetta CA 2.0 frame I increased seat recline by cutting a slot for the wheel into the carbon fiber seat, thus allowing the wheel to reach into the foam cushion area, with only a thin slice of foam separating my back from the wheel:

Doc Dan
    Railgun seat?

As long as the Railgun seat has a single center spine it is counterproductive because it reduces rear wheel clearance compared to a conventional dual-spline carbon fiber seat. However, as I understand it, the Railgun seat does not curve up in the front, even when very reclined, thus making it easier to reach the ground.

Uwe Brockmann
    2010 Giro 26, large frame
    2012 CA 2.0, large frame
    2014 BuS Velomo Hi-Liner, custom frame
    "It is not about how fast you can go. It is about
    how long you can avoid overuse injuries."
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1