Hot!Hills. Slow.

Author
Bogiesan
  • Total Posts : 84
  • Reward points: 0
2018/05/20 06:46:44 (permalink)

Hills. Slow.

I’ve been doing a local charity metric century for 15 years. I have performance records for each ride including the last five which were tracked with Garmin devices recording speed and elevation. This was my first year on the Bacchetta Giro 26; all others were on an Easy Racers Tour Easy or Gold Rush.

Each year my average speed over the 64-mile course was 15-17.6mph. The ER bikes were all fully faired and I sometimes rode with the body skin attached. My best time was in 2014 (age 60) when I had what was probably my best cycling season ever (down 18 pounds and weeks of serious, early training).

Yesterday’s ride was a lot of fun. Conditions were ideal. The bike Was comfortable and I was fast on the flats, easily maintaining 18-23mph. Data from the ER bikes has me steadily at 16-20mph on the same stretches. But the whole 64 miles turned out to be a bit of a slog yesterday with an average of only 14.5mph. The reason was the hills.

The course has not changed in 20 years and includes a total of 2200 feet of rollers with a few short 9% pitches. And that’s where my average speed took the hit. I’ve got the data. I can see it. The ER bikes were easier on the ascents. Much faster. ON the Bacchetta I’m doing 4.5 to 7.0mph but on the same hills on the ERs I was doing 6.0 to 10mph. That’s 30% or better.

Sure, I’m a year older and I’m lugging around my winter tummy but my performance on the flats suggests I can still get the job done. I guess it’s all in the geometry of the bike.

I’ll know more by the end of this season.

8 Replies Related Threads

Crit Rider
    • Total Posts : 1899
    Re: Hills. Slow. 2018/05/25 10:25:23 (permalink)
    .....and the aerodynamics of a partially or fully faired bike vs unfaired. 
    I would also do some careful analysis of your leg extension on both bikes. 
    You might be close to ideal on the TE, but not the Basso.
    Regardless there is some adaptation required to the new position as well. 
    How many miles on the Basso. 
    post edited by Crit Rider - 2018/05/25 10:28:34
    Bogiesan
    Re: Hills. Slow. 2018/05/26 08:12:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.

3500 miles on the Giro 26. Got here pretty well dialed in. Just got the 3” seat pad so I’ll be making a new seat position, recline, and cleat adjustment over the next 100 miles. How does one performan “careful analysis of leg extension”?

I put 50,000 miles on the ER bikes. The fairing is actually overrated unless you’ve got a superb engine. Those days were long behind me and he fairing became merely a coolness factor years ago (and, with he bodyskin rigged, a great way to ride on the Idaho desert) when I stopped caring about maximum speed.
    Crit Rider
    Re: Hills. Slow. 2018/05/26 11:13:36 (permalink)
    https://www.vitalitymedical.com/baseline-transparent-plastic-goniometer.html?matchtype=&network=g&device=c&adposition=1o3&keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjwi6TYBRAYEiwAOeH7GcDz-xOvxWhohIOR2kP9EaNcE6l8LTP-Z_Woa8YaYFWGqJVruBW1AhoCd_kQAvD_BwE  is a start. 

Or you could hire a professional fitter (me). I happen to be in McCall for a few more days. 
    Ooops, Giro 26, not Basso. I was doing too many things at once. 
    You'd think 3500 miles would be enough to adapt to the higher BB and a different torso/femur angle. 
    Are your gear choices the same on the ERs vs the Giro? Are you climbing at the same cadences?
    What's your seat angle? 

Bogiesan
    Re: Hills. Slow. 2018/05/26 20:26:23 (permalink)
    Never seen one of those, things, not even at my PT, and he’s a racing cyclist and mtn bike freak. So you measure the hip joint to leg angles and then the knee?

How long are you in McCall? It’s a quick drive up 55 for me during the week. After the holiday weekend everyone’s going the other direction. Hope the rain isn’t ruining your visit! Unusually wet spring here in iderho.

The ERs had a higher top (53T vs 48T) but the low end is the same except, of course, the Giro has 650s instead of 700s. Cadence is a bit lower on the Giro (65-75 vs. 70-80) but I’m still getting my legs back from last year’s lost season and a bit of ITB inflammation.

The seat angle is way low. Feels about right. I kept laying it down till I was no longer having to pull my ass back up.

Just got the 3” pad for the mesh seat so I’m starting all over setting up the bike. I didn’t think the new extra inch and a half would make so much difference but I feel like I’m way up in the air.

Thanks again for checking in with me.
    post edited by Bogiesan - 2018/05/26 20:42:41
    Crit Rider
    Re: Hills. Slow. 2018/05/28 09:52:09 (permalink)
    Let me know if you want to come up Tuesday or Wednesday. 
    Do you have a trainer you can bring?

Jim
    805 750-1786
    jim@jbvcoaching.com
    Crit Rider
    Re: Hills. Slow. 2018/05/30 09:56:41 (permalink)
    Was great to meet you David!
    LMK if you still have any issues after you do a few rides. 
    I forgot to mention another source of time differential with the Giro versus the ER bikes. 
    You are still on the stock tires. They are durable, inexpensive, but very slow. 
    I'll send you some recommendations.
    Cheers!

Crit Rider
    Re: Hills. Slow. 2018/05/30 10:17:01 (permalink)
    Just realized the Schwalbe Pro One is available in 559x28!

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/racing_tires/pro-one
    https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/schwalbe-pro-one-tubeless-2016

If you are shy of tubeless, or do not have tubeless ready rims (don't think the Giro rims are tubeless ready), just run it with a butyl tube. 
    The fastest most puncture proof option with a tube would be to run it with a latex tube and sealant. 
    You could even run it with a butyl tube and slime. 
    Not cheap, but a really great tire. 
    I have used them myself and they really are better than GP4000S2s from Continental. 

Crit Rider
    Re: Hills. Slow. 2018/05/30 10:28:51 (permalink)
    Forget Slime, use a normal butyl tube and some Bontrager TLR sealant. 

https://www.slowtwitch.co...est_-_Part_2_4155.html

Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1