Hot!E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
giaruso
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points: 0
2018/04/24 17:45:46 (permalink)

E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C

I own two Bacchetta recumbents: Corsa and CA 2.0, 700C. My Corsa (aluminum 650C) hangs eternally dormant from the garage ceiling, so I am considering putting an electric conversion kit on it just for fun. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to know what's best, back wheel installation or front wheel, brand of kit, power of kit, battery, battery bracketry, etc. FWIW, at the moment, I am not limited by cost but I'd like to do my own installation. Thanks to you all.

Denny G.

Bacchetta CA 2.0 700c wheels
Bacchetta Corsa, 650c wheels

23 Replies Related Threads

thecanoe
    • Total Posts : 1501
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/24 20:27:43 (permalink)
    Im not familiar with them, but, there’s a few in the Bacchetta store.

https://www.bacchettabikes.com/shop/

Larry

Ti Aero
    Surly Moonlander fat bike
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon 29er
    Bassyak (for stripers and blues)
    giaruso
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/25 13:42:04 (permalink)
    Larry, thanks so much for your reply.

Denny G.

thecanoe
    • Total Posts : 1501
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/25 19:36:52 (permalink)
    Dennis,
    I see you live in CA. What’s the state’s rules for ebikes. I have no problem with them on the street. But on any off-road trails, motorized bikes aren’t allowed. So this means eMTB’s aren’t allowed on any singletrack or dirt fire roads and eRoadbikes aren’t allowed on multi use bike paths like rail trails.

Larry

Ti Aero
    Surly Moonlander fat bike
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon 29er
    Bassyak (for stripers and blues)
    giaruso
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/26 12:33:17 (permalink)
    Larry, great question.  I googled your question and here is an exact quote:
    "Governor Jerry Brown has signed one of the United States’ most progressive electric bicycle laws, which allows 28MPH-capable electric bikes in bike lanes and allows low-power, (20 MPH max.) pedal-assist electric bikes to use bike paths except when prohibited by local law."  I believe this law became effective in 2016.  For the benefit of all Californias reading this, I have included a link that explains the different classes of powered bikes and the limitations of the law:  https://electricbikereview.com/guides/electric-bike-classes/

Thanks again, Larry, for a great learning lesson.

Denny Giaruso

Denny G.

andrew.r.w
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/26 17:56:26 (permalink)
    For what it may be worth, I installed a BionX rear motor wheel on a recumbent back in about 2008, and it was an entirely positive experience. My objective was to get into riding and lose some weight. After one season I sold the kit as I didn't really need it any more. I had gotten addicted to cycling, lost some 20kg, and completely reconfigured myself. I credit the BionX for easing me into the life. 

I guess I see a time when I will want another E-bike. I do a lot more mountain biking these days and I am going for my second hip replacement in a couple of weeks. Knowing that e-bikes are an option means I know I'll never have to give up riding even if my body can't generate the kind of power it did 10 years ago. 

Andrew   =O~O*
    Giro26 ATT
    iambent
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/26 18:35:28 (permalink)
    You might want to look at e-assit brands other than BionX. They went into receivership back in March. http://www.bicycleretaile...new-owner#.WuJ9vrpOmhA
    post edited by iambent - 2018/04/26 18:36:47
    giaruso
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/26 18:53:05 (permalink)
    Hello, Andrew.  Yes, I've heard all about BionX.  Also, I have looked at the E-Assist Kits and I have an email into them already for suggestions for my bike.  I am also looking at the Bafang bottom bracket kits.

I have been riding for years.  I do alright, but I am starting to get lower back issues that I feel are from constant pressure on the pedals.  My age probably has a part to play here; since, I'll be 81 in August.  As I have stated, I have two recumbents; I will probably E-convert the Corsa and alternately ride between it and the Carbon Aero 2.0 to take a load off my lower back.

Thank you for your post.

Denny G.

noahvale
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/27 07:00:07 (permalink)
    I just ordered a Bafang mid drive. https://bafangusadirect.com/products/bafang-bbs02-750-watt-mid-drive-motor-ebike-conversion-kit
    Plan to put in on my Giro 20/20 but liked that it could be moved to another bike easily without changing wheels. I will let y'all know how it works out.

giaruso
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/27 12:38:43 (permalink)
    Way to go!  Would you like to tell us what, if any, extras, upgrades you got?  Which of the three sprockets did you get?  Also, what bracket are you planning to get to support the battery under the frame?  Are you getting the gear/shift sensor?  Who did you deal with?  I ask these questions, because I am about ready to "Bafang" my Bacchetta Corsa.  Please keep me informed.  My email:  giaruso@roadrunner.com

Total congratulations and may you have a successful installation and years of use.

Denny G.

noahvale
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/27 15:43:34 (permalink)
    I got the 52 chain ring. Figured I could get others if need be, but with the low gearing of the 20" wheel figured I would need the biggest. I got the hydraulic brake sensors that just attach to the existing levers. Just a tap on the brakes and the motor disengages for shifting. I got a 1 meter extension for the battery and plan to mount it to the bottom of the seat with large zip ties. I can get the t-cycle under frame mount if that doesn't work out. I upgraded to the 52 volt battery.
    I just ordered online at their website, I have been researching them for a while. They say it's a pre-order which I imagine means they have to get it from China. Total cost with the $50 shipping was $964.
    post edited by noahvale - 2018/04/27 15:44:53
    noahvale
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/28 11:19:21 (permalink)
    I ordered this: https://california-ebike.com/shop/bsb-1-bafang-stabilizer-bar-bbs0102-bbshd/
    It helps stabilize the motor. Will use a hose clamp with rubber padding to secure it to the frame.
    Also ordered a chain ring adapter that will allow use of any 130bcd chainring: https://california-ebike....ang-chainring-adapter/
    giaruso
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/28 16:11:10 (permalink)
    Noahvale:  I am truly appreciating all your reports on your purchases.  It will help me a lot when I get around to ordering my unit.  See Questions below:

1. Did they give you a clue as to when you will receive the kit, etc.?
    2. When do you anticipate the installation?  I'd love to hear the details of your installation for my reference.

Denny

Denny G.

noahvale
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/29 06:56:16 (permalink)
    The website says 1 week to ship. I will take lots of pictures when I install it.
    giaruso
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/29 13:13:00 (permalink)
    Thank you very much!  I gather you ordered directly from Bafang's website.  Did you look at Luna's website?:  https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbs02-mid-drive-kit/

Denny G.

noahvale
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/30 06:39:36 (permalink)
    Yes, I ordered from the website. Luna's price was about $300 higher.
    I received tracking info, will have it Wednesday, six days from when I ordered.
    post edited by noahvale - 2018/04/30 10:06:06
    giaruso
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/04/30 11:38:04 (permalink)
    Perfect.  Thanks again!

Denny G.

noahvale
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/05/05 16:40:50 (permalink)
    Got the battery several days ago, the motor kit came today.
    Check it out: https://lacycling.blogspot.com/
    giaruso
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/05/05 19:49:59 (permalink)
    NoahVale:  Stupendous!  Tomorrow, I will pull my Corsa off the garage ceiling and check it to ensure compatibility.  The battery on the back of your seat looks absolutely cool.  I have the same seat as you.
    I have a few questions if you don't mind:
    1.  Why do you not have the motor down under the frame to lower the CG.  I see you have it on top.
    2.  I see you used the SS torque bracket.  Does that bracket have those dimples/knobs (in supplied plate) in it that bite into the frame to keep the motor from rotating.  Those dimple/knobs concern me; it looks as though they can distort the bottom bracket and threads should one want to replace the original equipment.
    3.  I see you did not connect the speedometer cable (too short!).  What additionally do I need to order to make that connection?  I'd like to display speed in the kit's computer.
    4.  Did you get the COLOR LCD Display Computer?
    5.  I see you have hydraulic disk brakes.  I don't.  I, therefore, should get the "mechanical" levers, right?
    6.  Do you have a clue as to how long/far you can ride on one charge?  I intend to use the battery minimally--mainly for hills.  I'm more into distance rather than speed.  I envision using the 44T or 48T sprocket; since, without e-assist, I now mostly use the center (39T) sprocket (the Corsa has 26" wheels).
    7.  You don't mention the gear sensor.  Did you not see it as a requirement?
    8.  The website mentions a Main Wire Harness Extension Cable for Trikes.  Did you not see that as a necessity?

It would be highly appreciated if you would share any further Bafang riding experiences.  Once again, congratulations on your installation, and may you have many, many, safe and enjoyable rides.

Denny G.

Denny G.

noahvale
    Re: E-Conversion of my Bacchetta Corsa, Aluminum 650C 2018/05/06 06:06:23 (permalink)
    giaruso
    NoahVale:  Stupendous!  Tomorrow, I will pull my Corsa off the garage ceiling and check it to ensure compatibility.  The battery on the back of your seat looks absolutely cool.  I have the same seat as you.
    The underseat mounting will only work with small wheels, there is not enough room using larger wheels. I will be moving the battery to a rear rack when I change to 26" wheels.
    I have a few questions if you don't mind:
    1.  Why do you not have the motor down under the frame to lower the CG.  I see you have it on top.
    That is on the only place it will fit the Giro frame. You can't rotate it lower when using the stainless torque arm.
    2.  I see you used the SS torque bracket.  Does that bracket have those dimples/knobs (in supplied plate) in it that bite into the frame to keep the motor from rotating.  Those dimple/knobs concern me; it looks as though they can distort the bottom bracket and threads should one want to replace the original equipment.
    It is flat. It bolts to the motor and replaces the stock brace. It does not touch my frame, the rubber padding isolates it. The motors BB just slides through the bike frame, it does not use the threads. The left hand nuts hold it. It is very secure and does not move.
    3.  I see you did not connect the speedometer cable (too short!).  What additionally do I need to order to make that connection?  I'd like to display speed in the kit's computer.
    You will need an extension. One 14" will reach the front wheel. It would take about 32 inches to reach the rear.
    4.  Did you get the COLOR LCD Display Computer?
    The color display is a free upgrade from bafangusadirect.
    5.  I see you have hydraulic disk brakes.  I don't.  I, therefore, should get the "mechanical" levers, right?
    Hydraulic is what they call the sensors that you put on the stock brake levers. I have standard cable brakes.
    6.  Do you have a clue as to how long/far you can ride on one charge?  I intend to use the battery minimally--mainly for hills.  I'm more into distance rather than speed.  I envision using the 44T or 48T sprocket; since, without e-assist, I now mostly use the center (39T) sprocket (the Corsa has 26" wheels).
    You most likely to want some assist. It's a lot of weight and it does have a little drag. But it does pedal fine with no assist. I don't have a great feel for the range yet. Yesterday I rode 16 miles with high assist and speed and it still said 100%. The 52 volt battery has a lot of capacity. You would probably be fine with the lighter 48 volt.
    7.  You don't mention the gear sensor.  Did you not see it as a requirement?
    Not required but not a bad idea. If you just stop pedaling the motor disengages for shifting. I just pull the left brake slightly to disengage while shifting. You can shift under load as well.
    8.  The website mentions a Main Wire Harness Extension Cable for Trikes.  Did you not see that as a necessity?
    Don't need it. You might want to extend the three button switch closer to your hand, but I like it fine as is. 

I am going for a longer ride this morning, will let you know on the range.

post edited by noahvale - 2018/05/06 06:30:57
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1