Helpful ReplyHot!sebring

Author
nimrod
  • Total Posts : 310
  • Reward points: 0
2018/02/13 17:29:02 (permalink)

sebring

Went to sebring to watch.  Hardly any bacchettas.   Where was everybody?
Doc Dan
  • Total Posts : 1553
Re: sebring 2018/02/14 05:58:47 (permalink)
I've been to Sebring three times in the past.  But I'm soured on it for a number of reasons. 

First, at this point, it is too far for me to travel.
Second, although it can be an interesting challenge for some it is just too darned flat for me.  
Third, after 5pm the event moves to the Sebring racetrack.  Though I favor a closed course for safety reasons the opposite happens.  The racetrack is, of course, filled with sharp twists and turns; it is also pitch dark at night.  Just when the racers are experiencing peak fatigue they have to negotiate blind corners, deal with the often blinding lights in their mirrors of cyclists behind them. 

Sebring race reports are filled with stories of cyclists veering off the course into the dirt or sand on corners.  And then there is the well-known incident of a powerful Bacchetta racer careening off the Sebring track into a curb and breaking his leg.  (This same racer came back the next year and claimed a remarkable victory by completing 425 miles on the Sebring course).
nimrod
Re: sebring 2018/02/14 12:58:14 (permalink)
Sebring has always been a special event for me.  I raced the 12 hr 3 times and in 2011, all the bacchetta people turned out for a group picture and I think the bacchetta co.  was there with help for racers during the race. I hate to say this, but when john schlitter was at bacchetta  there was great racing camaraderie.  The focus was on racing more and with the ca2 coming out, the performance of the bikes really showed and all the talented athletes that rode them.   
Mark Colliton
  • Total Posts : 220
Re: sebring 2018/02/16 08:30:49 (permalink)
"Sebring has always been a special event for me."

Yeah, I hear you! It sure would be nice if the things we love never changed. Unfortunately the 2 wheeled recumbent market is not what it was 15 or 10, or even 5 years ago. So, not surprisingly, the priorities of any small business may have to shift to address changes in the markets they serve. That is certainly true for Bacchetta. The fact that John and Jacquie Schlitter didn't race or even attend Sebring this year seems to suggest it's true for them as well.
Doc Dan
Re: sebring 2018/02/16 09:49:29 (permalink)
Mark, you hit the nail on the head.  

At the Pace Bend Ultra Race in Spicewood, Texas, on February 2nd - a hilly course, there were two recumbents.  A man, Steve Timmons, with MS, won the recumbent `Beast' award with the most miles: 236 miles (12,008 feet of climbing).  He rode a trike.  

He rode a trike.  (http://edsresults.com/pacebend18/report.php)

And here is a video of the course:  (https://www.instagram.com/p/BetGAfbH3bw/)

I was the only other recumbent at the race and struggled with what has subsequently been determined to be (expected) knee arthritis.  (Now that it has been diagnosed I got a corticosteroid shot and am back to climbing and putting in the long hours and miles). 

But think of that.  He rode a trike and kicked ass.  The MS is so advanced that he can't walk without a walker.  

He rode a trike.  

On a hilly course. 

And WON!!

On a trike.  

I'll be at the Pace Bend Ultra Race again next year.  And the year after that and the year after that.  The course is a RAAM qualifier and WUCA / UMCA endorsed.  And so much more challenging than riding a flat course that makes you dizzy in the last 13 hours on the pitch dark Sebring track.  

Come on out and enjoy the people, the challenge and the chance to see remarkable cycling.  

post edited by Doc Dan - 2018/02/16 09:53:56
Doc Dan
Re: sebring 2018/02/16 10:30:03 (permalink)
Austin, Texas, is pretty much the central point for many of the ultra races in Texas.  This is a link to a recumbent bike shop in Austin:  Easy Street Recumbent.  http://www.wemakecyclingeasy.com/products/  They sell and service Bacchettas.  And, of course, they don't fiddle with FWD/MBB bikes.  
nimrod
Re: sebring 2018/02/17 09:54:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RRV 2018/02/20 11:57:27
I think Bacchetta is the best company for recumbents and by far- the best service and experience of any recumbent bicycle company.  Racing has always been part of the evolution and design of wheeled vehicles-whether its cars or bicycles.  Racing is expensive and probably a company can only take it so far in its evolution.  I think that is where bacchetta is at.   I don't  know how you can make a  recumbent much better than say a carbon aero 3.0 .   When I  was at Sebring this year,  I was taking pictures of riders as they came thru the toll booths at the start line.  This is where Rich Pinto use to have the Bacchetta tent. Bacchetta  really has left its mark on this race. For all of us who still ride this amazing bike called Bacchetta,  lets remember how much more comfortable it is than our old road bikes. Keep riding gang......
thosemeggisons
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: sebring 2018/02/25 07:48:32 (permalink)
I'm not amongst you elite endurance racers, but I do manage to ride an average of 3000 miles per year on my old used (carbon, titanium ) 650 Aero from the bygone days.  ( John Hoyte frame #52) 
Over the years, I can see my speeds decreasing due to a syndrome called "TMB",,,, we will all succumb to this event.
At age 75,,,,,  TMB is named,,, "Too Many Birthdays"  Or,,, I have rounded third base.
Maybe what we see is that our recumbent ranks are aging and few if any younger riders are transitioning into recumbents.
My good friend, "Larry the Canoe" bought my old Corsa 700 last year and GAVE it to his nephew who is about 35-40 years old. Generous efforts like Larry's may entice younger riders to make the transition earlier than those over 50.

capecodsmoker
Doc Dan
Re: sebring 2018/02/25 17:03:40 (permalink)
It wasn’t a mistake that I moved from Chicago to the central highlands of Arizona. So I can’t claim that I’m lucky. So when I say that it is hard NOT to ride the bike ... I mean it.
Yes. There is the fun factor. But, more, I realise how much my Bacchetta keeps me calmer, less anxious ... and likely not in a state of agitated depression.
All members of my birth family are dead and buried. And not one of them lived a life without grim sadness, tragedy and self destruction.
Born with it or born into it ... it doesn’t really matter. Our job is to find meaningful expression while here.
And what better way to be alive than to ride a bicycle!
thecanoe
  • Total Posts : 1496
Re: sebring 2018/03/07 18:37:10 (permalink)
thosemeggisons
I'm not amongst you elite endurance racers, but I do manage to ride an average of 3000 miles per year on my old used (carbon, titanium ) 650 Aero from the bygone days.  ( John Hoyte frame #52) 
Over the years, I can see my speeds decreasing due to a syndrome called "TMB",,,, we will all succumb to this event.
At age 75,,,,,  TMB is named,,, "Too Many Birthdays"  Or,,, I have rounded third base.
Maybe what we see is that our recumbent ranks are aging and few if any younger riders are transitioning into recumbents.
My good friend, "Larry the Canoe" bought my old Corsa 700 last year and GAVE it to his nephew who is about 35-40 years old. Generous efforts like Larry's may entice younger riders to make the transition earlier than those over 50.

Bernie,
Unfortunately or fortunately, my nephew now has two young children. A newborn and a 2 1/2 y/o. He won’t be riding for a while. That old Corsa of yours is enjoying the roads of Florida right now. I might just leave it at a friend’s house so I don’t have to bother with shipping any more.

Larry

Ti Aero
Surly Moonlander fat bike
Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon 29er
Bassyak (for stripers and blues)
thosemeggisons
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: sebring 2018/03/09 08:10:03 (permalink)
Hmmmmm , if I head down there, maybe I could drop by and borrow it ,

capecodsmoker
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1