Helpful ReplyHot!back on a bacchetta fitting help

Author
gmrviper
  • Total Posts : 135
  • Reward points: 0
2018/01/04 09:23:04 (permalink)

back on a bacchetta fitting help

I got a corsa ss about a month ago. Im having some issues with comfort on it. Its on the trainer since its about zero degrees out, but after about 15-20 minutes of riding I start experiencing some discomfort in my left butt area. My seat is at a 23 degree angle and its a carbon seat. Seat measures 29.5 tip to tip straight across. I am 6ft tall by the way. I use a 2" pad and have even added a thin camping pad under that to help. Ill be honest I have not been on a bacchetta seat in about 3 years so maybe i just need to give it more time. Ive spent most of my time on a musashi. Any advice is appreciated. Kinda thinking i might be on a seat that is too small or might need to try a euromesh. I have always been pretty comfy on those in the past.
Doc Dan
  • Total Posts : 1507
Re: back on a bacchetta fitting help 2018/01/07 17:00:18 (permalink)
I've not replied to this thread bc I thought my own setup was so different that it wouldn't be helpful to grimviper.  But ... I don't KNOW what would or wouldn't be helpful. So ...

My butt doesn't touch the seat so I don't have a problem with comfort.  But (pun) my setup is significantly different (angle of recline =< 4 degrees).  If you have questions just let me know.  http://psychling1.blogspo...-world-time-trial.html

post edited by Doc Dan - 2018/01/09 06:53:43

Attached Image(s)

timturner
  • Total Posts : 1370
Re: back on a bacchetta fitting help 2018/01/07 21:07:20 (permalink)
Yeah, I'm pretty evenly 'distributed' on the seat as well.
But my seat is closer to 15 degrees.

I had an M5 carbon seat on my Corsa and it has a much more pronounced lumbar section.  I could raise up my butt just by flexing my back muscles a bit.

T

Team Bacchetta

noahvale
  • Total Posts : 390
Re: back on a bacchetta fitting help 2018/01/08 08:08:57 (permalink)
I think some lumbar support would help you. I too have a m5 seat, mine is at 25 degrees which is as low as I can go because my neck is fused from C5 all the way down to my back.  I've never tried a B seat so I can't comment on it. You might try some DIY lumber padding under the foam, or maybe better yet recline the seat more if it works for you.

gmrviper
Re: back on a bacchetta fitting help 2018/01/08 13:00:14 (permalink)
thanks for the comments, i agree I will work on adding some lumbar support. 

I leaned the seat back a bit more and I was more comfortable this morning. So i think I am on the right track. Wednesday is supposed to be in the 60s so im excited to ride it on actual roads and see how it feels. My trainer has a some rough vibration when i get up to speed so who knows maybe that could be causing it also. I really want to make the carbon seat work so ill keep being patient.

Where should i measure the seat angle? I am using an iphone app around middle part of the seat. I think its down to about 19-20 degrees.
RoadRnr
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: back on a bacchetta fitting help 2018/01/10 12:40:49 (permalink)
I think you are on the right track by first trying the seat with it more reclined. I am also 6 foot tall but am happy with my current setting of 24° of incline. By the way, I measured it with my iphone at the midpont of the seat. I should also mention that I am on a Large carbon seat. I started out with a euromesh. No amount of tweaking helped with comfort as it was just too small! I would be very surprised if you are comfortable on a euromesh at your height unless you have a short torso.

As for lumbar curve, most carbon seats that I have seen have built in lumbar support unlike the euromesh. In fact, I found that I had too much lumbar support on my carbon seat due to installation of the ADEM bottle holder at the very peak of the lumbar curve. After moving it down about an inch, comfort has been achieved!

Dave in NM

Corsa SS
Strada
bgobie
  • Total Posts : 804
Re: back on a bacchetta fitting help 2018/01/17 00:14:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Doc Dan 2018/01/17 08:28:25
To measure my seat angle I set a long straightedge against the underside of the seat. I measure that incline with a phone app. (First check the floor is level.) 

Is your seat too small? See how well you fit on the seat without the 2" pad. A thick pad can conceal a bad fit. You should not feel compressed between the bottom and top of the seat. I'm about 6'1". I sort of fit on a large Bacchetta seat with the stock pad, but with a Ventisit pad it is clear the seat is too small for me. I've ended up with an XL seat from Bent Up (Dana Lieberman) and an Adem headrest.

Dropping the seat angle can take weight off your butt, as you've discovered. Sliding the seat forward a little can also do that if it helps keep you pushed back so your shoulders brace against the seat back. (The seat pad plays a role here; it is easy to slide back on a Ventisit.)

My seat angle is around 28°. I figure that once your bent knees rise as high as your shoulders you're not gaining much aero advantage by dropping the seat any more. Being higher gives a better view of the road (Schlitter J-bars help a lot, too). A personal factor is my glasses have progressive lenses, so lowering the seat tilts my head back and I'm looking through the near-distance part of the lenses -- not helpful. 

I rode a Euromesh seat for many years. I briefly rode one again recently and was shocked at how ill-fitting it was compared to my carbon seat.

Bill
gmrviper
Re: back on a bacchetta fitting help 2018/01/19 11:31:48 (permalink)
Thanks again for the comments, im for sure getting it dialed in. Just need more warm days to ride it. Having the flu for the last week has really sucked! Feeling better each day though!

I was able to ride it last Wednesday when it was warm out. I didnt have any comfort issues with the bike. The only issues i had was with the 25mph winds on a really busy skinny trail. Need a few more rides to really get my confidence back, overall i really like the bike though. Only downside of the bike is the lack of tire size options, but i did order a terry tellus to try out on it.
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1