Hot!Confused about carbon seat sizes

Author
paulbenter
  • Total Posts : 148
  • Reward points: 0
2017/12/12 09:12:07 (permalink)

Confused about carbon seat sizes

Are there different sizes available for Bacchetta carbon seats on the medium and large CA 700 frames?

My concern is that the Euromesh seat on my Corsa 650, which I have ridden for a number of years, has its subtle lumbar peak about 3" down from where I need it. I use a foam lumbar wedge to move it up.  

How have riders with tall backs dealt with the carbon seat size issue?

Thanks,
Paul

5 Replies Related Threads

Mark Colliton
    • Total Posts : 216
    Re: Confused about carbon seat sizes 2017/12/13 08:23:17 (permalink)
    "Are there different sizes available for Bacchetta carbon seats on the medium and large CA 700 frames?"
    Yes, Bacchetta carbon seats come in two sizes, medium and large. Customers can choose the size they want at the time of purchase. A large seat is probably a good choice if you’re 6’2” (or taller) or at least 6’ and have a long torso. That said, seats are a very individual thing and finding the right fit is not always as straight forward as we wish it was. If you send us an email with your height, weight and x-seam we might be able to help you make a more informed choice.

"My concern is that the Euromesh seat on my Corsa 650, which I have ridden for a number of years, has its subtle lumbar peak about 3" down from where I need it. I use a foam lumbar wedge to move it up."
    Our Euro-mesh seat is based on a medium size carbon seat but its lumbar is less pronounced because the mesh holds the rider off the seat frame – while a carbon seat allows your back to sink into the seat. This feature gives the Euro-mesh a much more generic fit and it’s not unusual for some riders to customize the lumbar with a wedge of foam. In our minds that a good thing.

paulbenter
    Re: Confused about carbon seat sizes 2017/12/13 11:17:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Mark. Yes, I am 6' with a tall back.
    Richard4286
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Confused about carbon seat sizes 2017/12/15 06:30:48 (permalink)
    Where did you buy the foam wedge? How thick? Did you shape it? How do you attach it? Does it affect the seat Velcro?

I use a large zip tie loose around the middle of the seat and fold in a towel. It helps me lock in my hips when peddleling hard more so than back support. I am 6’4” and a bit too tall for the seat.
    Doc Dan
    • Total Posts : 1507
    Re: Confused about carbon seat sizes 2017/12/15 09:08:38 (permalink)
    "I use a large zip tie loose around the middle of the seat and fold in a towel. It helps me lock in my hips when peddleling hard more so than back support. I am 6’4” and a bit too tall for the seat."

God made zip ties.  And Gorilla tape.  There are no improvements for these.  I'm going to look into folded towels.  
    paulbenter
    Re: Confused about carbon seat sizes 2017/12/15 13:14:41 (permalink)
    Richard,

I played around with designing a foam lumbar pad for the Euromesh more than several years ago, and had some prototypes made up from a curved profile template I provided.  The pads worked pretty well, but I never was able to source an economical foam that held up. Mine seemed to last about a season or two, and then start to compress.

So now I use one of the prototypes, which I have added additional height by building up layers of perforated black foam shelf liner material. Much like building up a topographic model, each layer is a bit less than 1/8". I use spray glue to secure the layers. I have also added subtle torso padding with the same material for a perceptible cradling effect. This all goes under a standard Vent-i-sit  pad. I then covered the whole thing with a Bacchetta seat cover, which does a great job providing a finished look, and I prefer the feel over the bare Vent-i-sit. The cover has velcro on the back to attach to the seat mesh. 

However this submarine sandwich of pads is fairly heavy, but comfortable and supportive for me. You might try experimenting with some yoga pad material and shelf liner for smoothing edges. I found a bread knife works pretty well cutting foam. Could be a folded towel might work OK.

Paul
    07' Corsa
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1