AnsweredHot!UNDER FRAME BAG - Game Changer

Author
Doc Dan
  • Total Posts : 1495
  • Reward points: 0
2017/11/22 17:23:10 (permalink)

UNDER FRAME BAG - Game Changer

When I train out here (AZ desert and mountains) I need to carry three seasons worth of clothes, tools, tubes and a spare tire.  I know.  It sounds crazy.  But all it takes is to be somewhere between Nowhere and Nothing Arizona and you'll become a believer. 

I used the Fastback under frame bag for several years but had to lash a velcro strap around it because the zipper was/is crap.  And it is too small.  

I took a flyer a few weeks ago and ordered Revelate Tangle Frame Bag (https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/frame-bags/TangleFrameBag).  I worried that it would be too big or that it would not fit.  My worries are unfounded.  It is right sized to carry everything I need and more.  It may even be enough for a few ultra events that permit self-support option.  (Hoodoo).

Here is a link to some pics:   https://drive.google.com/...QOidRjeLKD5IjM0mS53w5C

Attached Image(s)

Richard4286
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: UNDER FRAME BAG - Game Changer 2017/11/25 16:38:27 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Doc Dan 2017/11/27 05:42:57
Which size did you buy? Small, medium or large?
Doc Dan
Re: UNDER FRAME BAG - Game Changer 2017/11/27 05:46:49 (permalink)
I bought the medium.  And it fit great.  But if I were you I'd still measure the distance from the seat plate and the riser pipe (or whatever it's called).  I cut off the plastic pieces on the outside of the bag and left the velcro straps. And given that I generally overdo things I looped long zip / cable ties around the bike tube the bag.  I've been using the bag for a couple of weeks now and it is great.  
Richard4286
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: UNDER FRAME BAG - Game Changer 2017/11/27 16:14:00 (permalink)
I have a Corsa with the OFA bag. I reclined my seat another notch (actually cut an inch off the struts) and wore a hole in the bag before I figured out what was going on. I’ve done a few centuries and now want to try randonneurring, and need new bags. It looks like you have the fastback double? Would you recommend these two? Does the tangle bag contact the chain?
Doc Dan
Re: UNDER FRAME BAG - Game Changer 2017/11/27 17:02:18 (permalink)
I don't recommend the fastback double.  

The bag I now use is the one I recommended on this post.  The bag is great.  The zippers are super strong.  If there is chain rub there are a number of ways to both minimize it (Gorilla tape) or eliminate it (cable tie that pulls the bag away from the chain.
bgobie
  • Total Posts : 803
Re: UNDER FRAME BAG - Game Changer 2017/12/04 18:27:14 (permalink)
Richard -- For randonneuring I use a Bent Up Cycles seat bag, the large one I believe. One of its advantages is bottle pockets on the sides. I have two cages mounted to my seat; when I need more bottles the pockets on the bag are great. Pulling bottles out of the pockets, and putting them back in, is a very advanced move that I don't do anymore. (My avatar pic is out of date.)

When I need more storage I use one or both Fastback Double Century bags. If you like to use a hydration bladder the Fastback bags are very good.

Bill
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1