Doc Dan
  • Total Posts : 1470
  • Reward points: 0
2017/05/13 07:44:07 (permalink)

4 Replies Related Threads

wesm
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re: Fidelity To The Training Plan 2017/05/13 09:50:58 (permalink)
    Very interesting to track your progress.  The RideWithGPS is quite interesting as well.  I am on Strava and use StravistiX as a browser plugin (though data analysis for me tends to show I need to ride more) but really like the tracking.  I think more of this from others creates the tight bonds that keeps us going.
    thecanoe
    • Total Posts : 1452
    Re: Fidelity To The Training Plan 2017/05/13 19:31:47 (permalink)
    Doc,
    How much water do you drink on a ride like that? I know you've been in AZ for a while. During my short trip there this winter, I was always thirsty. On a 15 mile MTB ride, I'd go through 75 oz. On a 40 mile road ride, probably the same. Now that I'm back in Massachusetts, I hardly drink half that.

Larry

Ti Aero
    Surly Moonlander fat bike
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon 29er
    Bassyak (for stripers and blues)
    Doc Dan
    • Total Posts : 1470
    Re: Fidelity To The Training Plan 2017/05/13 22:25:20 (permalink)
    When it is hot I force myself to drink.  I hold back on the Spiz and Invigo8 density and make sure I have crazy more electrolytes / Salt Stick.  

One of the things that happens to folks as we age is that our `thirst' muscle isn't as quick to respond.  That's why it is important to be deliberate with the timing and frequency of hydration.  

When it is in the 60's and 70's I can go for two or three hours ... which is too long.  

I have a `dehydration' muscle.  I get a cramp in my left side when my body has been ignored.  At that point I suffer the consequences.  Happened yesterday.  

For RAI I have a method whereby my crew will give me a bottle every hour.  More about the design of that process later.  Pics.  
    Bogiesan
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re: Fidelity To The Training Plan 2017/05/28 19:39:32 (permalink)
    Here in iderho, I used to ride what I called Idaho Double Centuries, 100 miles, 100 degrees. I don't do those anymore. But they tuned in my entire hydration and fueling system. I prefer bottles instead of bladders,and I found I had to have two large bottles in the cages and a third in the seat bag, just in case one of the rest stops was dry. I found the right combination of electrolyte replacements and carbs. I also learned that my body, under those conditions, could not possibly recover the water I was losing to perspiration and respiration as long as I was working and in the sun. I had to stop, get in some shade, and rest while slowly sucking fluids.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1