Hot!New Giro 26 rider

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wesm
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points: 0
2017/05/02 17:02:08 (permalink)

New Giro 26 rider

Hello everyone.  I just picked up a new to me Giro 26 this weekend.  For those on BROL, sorry for the cross post here, too.  Looking forward to talking about two wheeled recumbents and how to get faster as well as enjoy the ride.

Hello everyone. I am Wes and, as of today, I am a recumbentist. From my new friend Terry (on BROL), I am now the proud owner of a Bacchetta Giro 26 (or The Banana Bike as my wife lovingly calls it already or, more amusingly, The Banana Hammock as a wit has called it on Imgur).
So to the story, pull up your mesh seated trike or bike and listen in ...
We met on a snowy summit in the middle of a snowstorm to exchange a baggy of cash for a yellow stick bike. Many emails passed to discuss and plan before hand. Finally, the day to drive came and the forecast was snow. And rain. But that high up, snow was to be ours.

No word of a lie, I could barely see the highway from the parking lot after getting gas an hour before in the valley. As I waited for Terry, I looked around to make sure the ride would not leave me on my side like a MAMIL that tried to change his spots far from home.
Soon Terry was there with the bike on the back. After some time when I thought he was going to simply go without letting me have the bike, he pulled it off and showed it off. Then I got to ride:
https://www.strava.com/activities/965035002/shareable_images/photo_based/10782720/1/7da96277-423d-4acb-86ab-7d48606f0e86?hl=en-US&v=1493579109 for the amusingly short ride through snow, rain, and puddles. Not sure it challenges Rojoracing53 but there is some elevation at least???
A quick ride around with a very helpful driver following me through the parking lot making sure I paid attention, it was into the back of the car. I wish I had pictures but I was inventing new combinations of words making new and instructive phrases.
I was pretty sure after ten minutes of fiddling that it wasn't going to make it into the trunk. But after some thought in the falling snow, it JUST made it into the Fiesta (great on gas, short on practical space).
Away I went and the rest will now be history.
Terry was a great guy who waxed on about his new velomobile at length. Hope to see it this summer when we go through BC.
Anyhow, long story short, I am on 'one of those bikes' now. It's going to be a lot of fun.

22 Replies Related Threads

wesm
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/02 19:29:45 (permalink)
    Tonight was the first night to get set up.  Bit of fun on the back deck in good weather with the trainer and I think I am close to what I need.  SPDs are bolted on and I think I have the angles set up right for me.  Bit too late to head out now so in I come to post a bit more.

thecanoe
    • Total Posts : 1452
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/03 06:21:57 (permalink)
    Welcome to the bent club, Wes. I've been on Bacchetta's since about 2000 and never looked back. Although I am an avid mtb'r , with a fat bike and a 29'r, I still prefer my Ti Aero on the road. Take your time tweaking it and you will have many great rides in your future.

Larry

Ti Aero
    Surly Moonlander fat bike
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon 29er
    Bassyak (for stripers and blues)
    Bogiesan
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/03 07:53:59 (permalink)
    Please see my thread on the GiroA26 that has replaced my Gold Rush.
    You're going to love this bike.
    Welcome to the family.
    wesm
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/03 17:42:13 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. First real ride tonight coming soon. 
    wesm
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/03 19:14:10 (permalink)
    First ride ever complete.  Highway crossing, wind, and all sorts of fun.  Complete smile machine.

https://www.strava.com/ac...en-US&v=1493863541
    Mike Wilkerson
    • Total Posts : 607
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/04 11:26:28 (permalink)
    Hi Wes. Work on reclining your seat. This will help your comfort and aerodynamics quite a bit. I'm not talking massive recline, either. Rather, a few degrees at a time, go for a ride and repeat. You'll notice a huge difference in comfort and performance and also the handling of your bike! Other than that, the rest of your bike looks real good.

Mike Wilkerson
    Bacchetta
    wesm
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/05 15:27:38 (permalink)
    That is in progress.  I am still getting used to not overreacting to steering and stopping.  I am now able to ride off, with some side wobble, from most stops.  Adding clipless pedals to the mix added even more fun but I cannot see riding without them.  I am cleaning it up and tweaking a bit as I go.  For some reason, work is getting in the way of cycling.  May need to bring this bent and my trainer to my office and set it up so I can ride and do emails.  Not sure how that would look but it would be pretty healthy.  
    wesm
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/06 15:08:32 (permalink)
    Alrighty.  

First real ride on the road.  Decided, for some reason, that a new design of bike would be great to ride on a busy road.  Everything went well until I missed a shift riding up a small hill and stalled out.  No idea why I shifted wrong but nearly toppled over with feet attached.  Got my feet down and collected my thoughts.  Thankful for large paved shoulders.  The hill was too steep so I did a walk of shame to the top.  Better that than swerving out in the wrong gear into fast moving traffic. 

Next hill, slight stall out almost at the top forced me to unclip as I was wobbling.  I think I was more out of breath as I was pretty tense riding due to traffic and my own fears of hills from reading the forums.  Restarted on the hill though after checking the mirror.  Got to the turn around point and rode back with no issues.  Bike was VERY fast coming back and I think I exceeded my top speed along there by a few km/h without trying.  High speed wobble due to my own tense handling kept me from pushing harder.  Other than my own mistakes, all was great.

Things of note:

Roadies were amused.  Got a few waves, got a lot of rubbernecking.  Lots of MAMIL types out.  Not sure what they made of me but I don't really care.  Once I get my legs and lungs back into condition, I look forward to chasing them down on specially chosen strips.  A couple of red faced older fellows looked rather envious of my relaxed position as they rode their carbon steeds with matching kit.  I waved and smiled.

I got drafted for the first time ever when riding.  A rider came up behind and tucked in behind me for a few minutes.  She was rather slight and I think she was bedazzled by my handsomeness.  Either that or I was blocking a good bit of wind for her.  She was down on the drops and tucked pretty low.  I, of course, increased my pace to assist her Strava results.  She politely passed by when the incline increased and slowly pulled away.  

I got back after what seems like a long ride on the DF and, other than some tired legs due to the wind and the new position, I had no other aches or pains.  I'd have been cursing my position for my hands and knowing that I'd been on a saddle for an hour after this one.  The last long (for me) ride of 50 km left both hands numb and me never wanting to climb back on my cyclocross bike again in my life.  Not really how I wanted to feel about cycling so ... Le Grande Banana was purchased.

I am not sure that I am all that slower climbing as I never really stood to climb hills due to conditioning.  I look forward to comparing my logged times/distances on Strava to see what is what.  I know that proper shifting and pedaling hard made hills easier (not sure if that is commonly known or not or if I figured out a new concept in cycling).

All in all, the Giro 26 is exactly what I expected it to be.  That is a good thing.

What's the CA 2.0 like to ride?
    thecanoe
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/06 17:53:43 (permalink)
    Nice job Wes. A couple of tips that I can share with you. 1) get in the habit of downshifting into an easy gear any time you are going to stop. That way you are in the right gear and ready to go. 2) When starting, have your push off foot, mine is the right foot, at about 11:00 and giveva gentle, even push. That way you don't get any pedal induced steering. 3) try to gently rest your hands on the bars. Squeezing the bar tight only tenses you up. Before long you won't even be thinking about this.

Larry

Ti Aero
    wesm
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/06 18:31:40 (permalink)
    These tips are all what I am trying to make regular practice, Larry. Thanks for sharing. Tomorrow, depending on rain, it is time to tackle a short, hard climb to see how things go. I will put these to use. Curious to see how it works out as it is not a fun climb on the DF. 

What gear do you typically start in?  I know gearing is different for everyone but I usually try for mid cog, mid ring for starts. Enough gear inches so I move a fair bit but not too much it is too hard. I use the 11:00 start now regularly. 

Going to set up GoPro this week to try to capture some of the fun before I become a Bacchetta sponsored racer.  It will give a bit of background when they do a 'how they began' segment on me. Hahahaha. More like a 'well, there are his feet moving in circles' video. 
    Bogiesan
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/07 06:11:05 (permalink)
    my lowest gear for normal stops is middle ring, largest cog. After deliberately practicing, I have found I can start in the next two cogs with a bit of wobble.
    When steep climbs require the smaller ring, I usually unclip at least one foot. After some climbing I find my balance and cadence and clip back in. Or, if the hill just gets steeper and speed drops much below 5mph, I unclip both.
    A good indicator of your progress is how easily you can reach for and replace water bottles. I use my finger to slide the bottle up and out instead of grabbing it by the top and pulling.
    Learning to relax way up in the air requires time in the saddle and a proper fit so you are not fighting the seat, you can safely grab your bottles, and you can move your head without swerving the bike. The single thing that improved my stability and therefore security was getting the seat reclined properly. I was surprised by how much changed with that one adjustment. There are three places where the handlebars can be moved around. I'm still making micro-tweaks to find the right distance, tilt, and rotation.
    wesm
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/07 15:21:33 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bogiesan.  I find I do not go very far or fast in middle ring, large cog myself.  May be my newness to things.  I am starting to work on the seat incline as well and will slowly lower.  I will have some shoulder surgery in about two weeks so will use the recovery time to work on my position on the trainer.  

I will assume the recline of the seat also contributed to me rising up the back a bit when putting on the power climbing a hill.  

I continue to fiddle with the other bits as well slowly but surely.
    wesm
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/13 06:14:56 (permalink)
    Okay, so I switched over to the Kenda Kwest tires that came along with the bike along with the wider ones that were on.  First ride on those will be this morning.  

I found the other ones, 1.5" Vee Rubbers a bit slow (and the rear worn close to the end) for recreational performance riding  We shall see how this swap goes before making any other changes (other than seat angle which I am dropping one pin hole with each ride).

As a heavier rider, 225ish currently, what would be my next step in tire choice?  I am leaning toward the Wild RunR Light or the Kojak based on what I have found on durability and lower rolling resistance.  I know there are racing tires but choices seem quite limited in the 559/26" category.  I am guessing with the smaller number there is one tire to rule them all.

I continue to use the search but still haven't quite found the proper thread.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    post edited by wesm - 2017/05/13 06:19:31
    wesm
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/13 10:02:01 (permalink)
    Well, seat of the pants seems to show that the Kendas are much quicker (or feel that way).  I still need to check the times and speeds but rolling seemed much quicker.  Comparisons to past rides on the DF show I am much, much, much slower uphill (though today was a nasty wind).   Seems likely I am just not working hard enough to climb faster.  It is much more comfortable suffering while climbing though.

With the wind assist, I did manage to make number 201 on the KOM board for a VERY competitive segment downhill.  Totally undergeared for the ride down, I tucked my best and let wind and gravity carry me onwards.  After the turnaround, I knew it was going to be a slow sufferfest of windblasted grinding uphill.  Yeehaw!

The big issue for me today was the wind.  I am pretty sure this was the worst wind I have ridden in here.  Gusts must have been at least 50km/h (30 mph) from the due west while I was riding north.  Long story short, I stopped my ride a few kms from the house and got my wife to come pick me up as I thought I was going to be crushed by traffic.  I had a couple of gusts followed by cars passing adding to the gusts, that slammed the bike around.  It's a busy stretch and the wind picked up significantly from when I started out.  

I ride a motorcycle and have ridden bicycles for many years and this was the first time I did not feel in control of the bicycle.  A hard stop to avoid veering into traffic left me on the pavement.  At that point, the wind was too strong for me to continue.  I am not sure if this is an issue with the seating position or simply my inexperience but I wasn't very happy with the end result.  

All in all, a learning experience that leaves me with many more questions.

thecanoe
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/13 19:25:50 (permalink)
    I can only give you my years of recumbent riding opinion of hills. I climb slow and steady because I always catch up with the group on the downhills and flats. It used to frustrate my as the DF's passed me going uphill. But now I'm probably in the middle of the group getting to the top. Recumbent muscles take a few hundred miles to adjust to the position. Keep at it. You're doing great.

Larry

Ti Aero
    bentcyclist
    • Total Posts : 416
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/14 05:43:44 (permalink)
    Winds above 30 mph can make for some butt puckering riding on a high racer. Last week's group ride was the first time in over a decade that I literally could not keep my Aero on the road due to side wind gusts coming off the lake. Usually sitting up calms down the bent, but not this time. I was blown into the opposite lane a few times, and finally, ended up being blown completely across the road into the side grass. Interestingly, all the regular road bikes were fine. The wind seemed to be grabbing my tweeners bars and rear seat bag and pivoting the bent to the left, while I was trying d to lean into the wind for stability. Sometimes, it is best to just stop and regroup.
    wesm
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/14 06:54:08 (permalink)
    It was the direct side wind that got me.  There were very few DF riders out as well and those I saw took a beating as well.  The winds come straight off the mountains here and blow through the foothils reaching the road I was on with full fury.  My wife, after coming to pick me up, commented on the strong winds blowing her car around.  Funny, today is the calmest I have seen in months.  Mother's Day and some tired legs won't see me take advantage of it though.  Boo.

I have no plans to quit riding recumbents due to this incident.  I will continue on as the comfort of the bike will make up for specific issues.  I rode my fat bike to town with my son later that day, about three miles each way, and was directly reminded why I am making this change.  Pressure on the wrists, hands, and neck even from this short ride was not pleasant at all.  Might be time for some Jones Loop bars to sort that out as it is also a fun bike to ride.

Looking at my times, I believe I would have been slowed greatly on a DF for the ride back into the wind for the return leg so my times might not be as bad as I thought.  Joys of tracking data, eh!  The concept of the laid back design is great.  Now I need to figure out how to compensate for the issues that go with this style of riding much like I have learned the nuances of DF riding.

In a week I go for shoulder surgery, so I will use my recovery time to further refine my position on the bent on the trainer.  Not the perfect situation, but it should be a good way to focus on pedalling and cadence.  I should be back on the road mid June-ish.  When the wind is that strong, I will also have a rack rigged for the back of the car so I can ride somewhere that is a little less exposed.
    thosemeggisons
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/14 08:56:47 (permalink)
    Sounds like you have the bent "bug".
    I'm a friend of Larry ,,,, "the canoe". 
    He introduced me to bents about 7-8 years ago. I rode a high end carbon DF for years, but my aging spine (etc.) started taking its toll on my whole body.
    I struggled the first 2 years going back and forth between my Corsa and the Trek DF. 
    Larry convinced me to mothball the DF,,, I did that about 4 years ago,,,,, ALL my riding ailments have TOTALLY disappeared! Going on almost 75,,,, I cycle 3-5 times per week.
    All of your comments and actions are what we all went through getting used to the bent world.
    As Larry stated,,,, stay loose,,, don't strangle hold the handlebars, plan for hills in advance.
    Wind is always a concern when it's close to 20 MPH and from the side.
    My friends call my bike,,, "the contraption", love it!
    I recently told my wife that if I could just teach my bent to cook,,,,,,,, 

Enjoy my friend,,,, this is a great forum!

capecodsmoker
    wesm
    Re: New Giro 26 rider 2017/05/19 12:45:42 (permalink)
    Last couple of road rides this weekend on the Giro (as long as I can sort out my trunk rack) then I am on the trainer for a number of weeks to allow my shoulder to mend.  I will use that time, as much as I can, to sort out my positioning on the bike.  Funny enough, I am looking forward to a serious regime of TrainerRoad's Sweet Spot training.  I am curious to see how a change in bike affects my FTP.  I haven't been riding as much as I'd like so there will be a few factors in play.  

Ordered some folding Durano 1.1s for when I get back onto the road so I have something to look forward to!  Kwests will be on for the trainer and I will work on my 'bent legs'.  Should be interesting.  I found a good spot on the deck to set up outside so at least I will not be in the basement.  Sun and wind beat LED lights and a fan any day I suspect.  We shall see.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1