Hot!Loose Headset and Steering Woes

Author
CycloVal
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2016/11/13 07:51:55 (permalink)

Loose Headset and Steering Woes

I have an older generation Giro 20 with the glide flex setup. Just the other day I noticed that the headset is loose to the point that the stem can rotate independently of the fork with minimal pressure...yikes! I tried loosening the top cap bolt and tightening the stem bolt first, then tightening the cap bolt, but it didn't help. I tried to remove the stem but it wouldn't budge, even with some light taps from a mallet. Anyone know how to remedy this? The photo of the top view of the star nut shows a slight gap on the forward facing side of the headset....don't know if this makes any difference or not. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Image(s)

3 Replies Related Threads

CycloVal
    Re: Loose Headset and Steering Woes 2016/11/13 14:34:40 (permalink)
    Oops, I meant to say that I loosened the stem bolt before tightening the cap bolt
    SUP
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re: Loose Headset and Steering Woes 2016/11/13 14:58:33 (permalink)
    The Cap bolt that screws into the star nut is the adjustment for the headset. The stem bolts have to be loose before you tighten the cap bolt. Tighten the cap bolt until the play is gone from the headset then align stem/handlbars with the front wheel and tighten the stem bolts. Usually 5-6 nm torque  

2016 CA2 My build
    '09 CA 2.0
    Vision R44 (FOR SALE)
    '05 Rans Screamer (FOR SALE)
    Vision Saber 24 
    CycloVal
    Re: Loose Headset and Steering Woes 2016/11/24 07:50:44 (permalink)
    Turned out there were a couple issues going on....When I first bought the bike used several years ago, there was a vertical hairline crack in the fork running between the two legs where it fits over the steering tube. The steering tube was loose and could rotate independently of the fork. I had bolted the two parts together back then, and recently the bolt had corroded and snapped. So I re-bolted it with a beefier stainless steel bolt & lock nut. There was still play in the headset though, and the glide-flex was corroded to the steering tube. Mike from Bacchetta suggested spraying the glide-flex/steering tube gap with WD-40 and hitting the underside of the glide-flex with a mallet. I hit it many times, seemingly without it loosening up to the point where it was free, but when I tightened the cap bolt afterwards, there was no more play in the headset....yay!
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1