Hot!Assault on the Carolinas (please, no recumbent bikes)

Author
gberg
  • Total Posts : 617
  • Reward points: 0
2016/11/04 15:01:35 (permalink)

Assault on the Carolinas (please, no recumbent bikes)

The Assault on the Carolinas will be held on April 8th, 2017.  This is a 100k ride with around 5,550 feet of cumulative climb. I rode in this ride in 2013 and 2014 on my CA2 and had a 14.5 mph average.  I was thinking abbot doing the ride in 2017, but I noticed the following in the ride FAQ section:
“For safety of all riders and logistical considerations, please, no recumbent bikes, elliptical bikes, mountain bikes, unicycles, tri-bikes / aerobars, or motorized bikes”
This may have been in previous years FAQ’s and I just missed seeing it.

I emailed the promoters explaining that I had ridden in the past on my CA2 and would they object to my participation in 2017.  They replied with the following:
“Gary: For the safety of all of our riders we ask they only participate on road bikes.  Thanks, AOTC Staff”

I emailed a follow-up question asking what were the safety issues.  To date I have not received a reply.  I will respect their wishes and not participate.

Can anyone enlighten me.  What would the safety issues be?
post edited by gberg - 2016/11/04 16:19:53

Gary G. Berg
2010 Strada (Frame, fork & B-pivot sold)
???? Corsa (1 inch steerer with components from my Strada)
2010 CA 2.0 650c

10 Replies Related Threads

jblye
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: Assault on the Carolinas (please, no recumbent bikes) 2016/11/04 15:41:53 (permalink)
    Just my opinion:
    There are no safety issues.
    They just don't want to take a chance on having the conventional road
    bikes humbled by one or more recumbents or other bike types.
    It's a traditional thing.  A lot of riders of traditional conventional bikes don't
    consider other type of bikes as "real bikes".
    One of my cycling friends used to brag about his Lance Armstrong replica conventional
    road bike.....until I smoked him on my Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0.....easily.
    Johnny

Recumbents owned since 1997:
    Vision R-42 SWB
    Vision R-82 Tandem
    Wizwheelz Trike (Current)
    ER Gold Rush LWB (Current )
    Bacchetta Carbon Aero 1.0
    Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0
    ER Titanium Javelin LWB (Current)
    Bacchetta Bella LWB (Current)

tojesky
    • Total Posts : 585
    Re: Assault on the Carolinas (please, no recumbent bikes) 2016/11/04 17:55:01 (permalink)
    This may be in response to the recumbent rider that won the California Triple Crown by having the fastest time on three races that comprised the Triple Crown. (see link below)  His name is Jason Perez.  After he won, the race director made the decision to give first place to the first diamond frame racer.  After much objection by Cruzbike and others, the race director changed his decision and gave Jason the win. 

It would not surprise me if more "races" like these not allow recumbents because of being shown up by faster recumbent riders.  My guess is next year recumbents will not be allowed to participate in the Triple Crown.  DFs just do not like to be beaten by recumbents no matter how much climbing is involved.

Since these "races" are being held on public roads, I don't see how they can prevent you from riding the route at the same time. Yes, I understand you do not want to go against their wishes but unless they have documented safety issues identified with recumbents on a public road, I don't think they have a good standing argument.

http://cruzbike.com/blog/2016/09/30/bicycle-bias-robs-victor-of-win/

UMCA member
    2013 CA2.0 - 700c
    2006 Corsa  (Sold July, 2013)
    Bogiesan
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: Assault on the Carolinas (please, no recumbent bikes) 2016/11/04 19:55:59 (permalink)
    I'd be curious to see if the rest of those rules are actually applied. No aerobars? Will they require all those psuedo-Freds remove their wannabe aerobars?

It's not a fight you can win. There are no real safety issues. Guessing it's thier insurance underwriter that is imposing these restrictions. Or they're trying to acquire some kind of sanctioning from an exclusively fred-friendly group.

As pointed out, it's a public road, mostly. You could just poach the ride, hit the course an hour before the official start time, and carry your own munchies.
    post edited by Bogiesan - 2016/11/04 19:58:44
    SUP
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re: Assault on the Carolinas (please, no recumbent bikes) 2016/11/13 15:21:45 (permalink)
    Not letting Bents on a ride is discrimination and they should be fined. And your right, what does safety have to do with it. Of course, it's rain or shine, so it's okay to ride in the rain with a bunch and others, some of which are not experienced riders. I guess safety doesn't play into it for that. They are just a bunch of bike snobs. Come across them all the time. Don't want to get their egos hurt. Poor babies!!

2016 CA2 My build
    '09 CA 2.0
    Vision R44 (FOR SALE)
    '05 Rans Screamer (FOR SALE)
    Vision Saber 24 
    Bogiesan
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: Assault on the Carolinas (please, no recumbent bikes) 2016/11/20 07:14:04 (permalink)
    Are you familiar with Eben Weis, aka Bike Snob NYC? Very funny guy but not everyone appreciates his comedy style. He has a deep and weirdly incomprehensible disrespect for recumbents (which makes for enjoyable reading and introspection when he chooses to aim his satire directly at us). But he has even less repsect for stupid rules used by ignorant organizations in their misplaced efforts to somehow become even more exclusive. Eben might be interested in this information.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/
    unc99
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Assault on the Carolinas (please, no recumbent bikes) 2016/11/21 18:13:01 (permalink)
    If I'm not mistaken, this ride is just a charity ride and it's not a race. Makes it even more surprising that they would not allow recumbent bikes. Of course, it's a little unusual for a charity ride to also say that mountain bikes and tri-bikes are not allowed either. On the website, they even say riders must have a road bike with greater than 100 psi tires.
    tojesky
    • Total Posts : 585
    Re: Assault on the Carolinas (please, no recumbent bikes) 2016/11/22 18:07:25 (permalink)
    I looked at the FAQs for the ride and could not find the stipulation on recumbents or other bikes. Is it in another location than the link below? (Not that I intend to ride this ride, just interested in the wording.)

http://theassaults.com/faqs/

UMCA member
    2013 CA2.0 - 700c
    2006 Corsa  (Sold July, 2013)
    unc99
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Assault on the Carolinas (please, no recumbent bikes) 2016/11/23 08:17:18 (permalink)
    See link below.  You were looking at the website for the nearby (and famous) Assault on Mt. Mitchell.  This is the Assault on the Carolinas.

http://www.assaultonthecarolinas.com/faq
    gberg
    • Total Posts : 617
    Re: Assault on the Carolinas (please, no recumbent bikes) 2016/11/24 09:47:41 (permalink)
    As I stated in my original post, I will respect their wishes and not participate.  I am disappointed that they did not have the decency to reply to my request for an explanation of the safety issues.

Gary G. Berg
    2010 Strada (Frame, fork & B-pivot sold)
    ???? Corsa (1 inch steerer with components from my Strada)
    2010 CA 2.0 650c
    Doc Dan
    • Total Posts : 1416
    Re: Assault on the Carolinas (please, no recumbent bikes) 2016/11/25 04:45:17 (permalink)
    I'd pick a fight. 

Ride the course at the same time.  When they make an effort to get you off the road call the cops, claim harassment, make a major fuss.  Major fuss.  Make a major fuss.  Let me repeat that: make a major fuss. 

I know of one or two tour organizations that don't allow recumbent bikes because they claim that they don't have the equipment to carry the bike in the event.  Weak argument but they get to do that because they get to sell what they want. 

Major fuss. 

Get a `gang' of bents.  Carry compressed air bullhorns or battery powered bullhorns so that you can `mitigate safety concerns.' 

Sign me up.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1